9-1-16? (Vols' season opener moved to Thursday)

1938 was the last time we hosted a Thursday game.

National Title year....#ITSHAPPENING

47547057.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
I like it. Game is 2 days earlier snd we get more prime TV Time. Also allows me to watch all the great games on Saturday on what should be the biggest opening weekend in CFB history. Overall smart move by UT. Getting your brand out there.

Reactions: 9 people
"Tennessee has not played a regular season contest on a Thursday since 1996 when the Vols defeated Ole Miss by a score of 41-3 in Memphis. Additionally, the last time a Tennessee football program opened the season on a Thursday was in 1991 when the 11th-ranked Vols traveled to Louisville and grabbed a 28-11 win over the Cardinals.

However, Thursday football in Knoxville has become a rarity since the formation of the Southeastern Conference in 1933. One must reach back into the record books to 1938 to find the last time Tennessee hosted a football game on a Thursday. That year, the Vols entertained Kentucky for a Thanksgiving Day contest, earning a 46-0 victory over the Wildcats. Even more remarkably, it’s been more than a century since the Vols played a home season opener on a Thursday. The last time that occurred was 1896 when the Volunteers began that season’s four-game campaign with a 10-6 victory over Williamsburg Institute (now University of the Cumberlands) on Thursday, Oct. 22 in Knoxville."

Reactions: 9 people
Not surprising. After the gimmick a week slogans and cheers run their course, the only treat they can offer us is a Thursday night game just like all those football powers South Carolina, the ACC and Cincinnati.

Reactions: 2 people
Not surprising. After the gimmick a week slogans and cheers run their course, the only treat they can offer us is a Thursday night game just like all those football powers South Carolina, the ACC and Cincinnati.

^Closet Bammer! :neener2:

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone not convinced that it's all about money now should have their head examined. This will be a logistical nightmare. Sunday night would have been better.

Since ESPN was the one who apparently came asking about moving the game to Thursday, I presume it's fairly safe to say moving it to Sunday night was never really an option, since they're also the ones broadcasting Notre Dame vs Texas that night (it's on ABC).

I doubt they'd want to create another competing game on one of their family of networks when they're already showning the only FBS game that evening (and such a huge one - fanbase/ tv market wise - as well).

Game will be sold out and packed to capacity no matter if it was held at 10am on a Monday. High expectations will do that.

Reactions: 3 people
I think it will be pretty cool. Other than all the parking garages not being available until after work/school. It would be better to have a better opponent. Anyone who cannot make it be sure to contact me and give me your tickets.

Reactions: 1 person
This guarantees that the game will kick off at night. It probably would have kicked off at noon or 3:30 otherwise. It would have been broiling hot. Remember that.

Plus the team gets two extra days to rest and prepare for Virginia Tech and fans won't miss all the great games that weekend.

Reactions: 4 people
Sucks for those of us who have a 2 to 3 drive to Knoxville. Trying to get off work for it, but it's already a holiday weekend

This sucks. I make fun of the Carolina fans for having their opener on Thursday every year. I believe this will be the first game at Neyland on Thursday.

I had just sent an e-mail to another donor stating the same thing.

In no way is this "cool." We are not a 2nd tier football squad like ESPN normally trots out on the field.

This was all Hart and all about money.

Vandy and SC will be playing at the same time on ESPN....That should tell you all you need to know about Thursday night games.

Reactions: 5 people
This sucks for us and our people. Will be much harder for App people to be there now. We brought a ton to Clemson, was thinking it would be the same for Tennessee but not anymore.

Reactions: 2 people
Anyone not convinced that it's all about money now should have their head examined. This will be a logistical nightmare. Sunday night would have been better.

Wrong, it would have made things worse. Just think the following week is Bristol, this gives them more time to prepare for what will promise to be a head ache for many in the football department.

VN Store

Back