2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Tess may have taken a role as team Mom, leader, culture insuror and contributor on the floor where she can. Basically what she ended up doing last year, only probably more so. Nothing wrong w that.
I foresee that Tess is going to obliterate the single season scoring and three point shots made records next season and inspire a mass audience of tweener girls, the Tessies, who will drag their parents to sold out games, where tickets will go for $500 on the street!!

Hmmm, what is in these brownies?

Are you telling me someone is actually complaining about DW??? We have a top 5 if not #1 AD, and someone wants to complain? He’s got me so excited I plan on watching Lady Vols basketball again for the first time in about 15 years. Go Vols!
I know...it makes no sense. What's really amazing is to see someone attack other successful UT programs/coaches in an effort to try to support their anti-DW position. I want to see all programs at UT succeed. I'll never understand having such a laser focus on one program to the point that you're willing to trash other UT programs as if they somehow compete with each other.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
People are looking too much into this system thing, once we play good teams like Notre Dame UConn and Texas we will see how it plays out. I discount everything I see when we play cupcakes.
I've always thought they would end up modifying the "system" to more suit the level of talent in the SEC. There just aren't that many teams that are simply going to let you dictate tempo. But OTOH, they're definitely recruiting the portal very much to suit it.
Because most teams don't send all 5 players to the boards. One or two players will usually position themselves for transition defense. They are basically giving away easy layups. They will likely finish last in the SEC in pts allowed per game, but that (ideally) will be offset by leading the league in points per game by a landslide. They may well score 90 pts vs. SC, but the drawback is that SC could potentially score 120. But that's one team; the idea is that most other teams won't be able to win a shootout.
Jeeze, not making me feel better looking at the SEC. Esp without recruiting any more shooters.
I’m glad that she values offensive rebounding. That was one of the things that really bothered me about previous teams. They would crank up a shot and three or four players would already be racing back on defense. We just ceded the offensive rebound. Let’s throw up a shot and stay in there and battle for the rebound and get a second and third attempt.
Scary when we don't have much size. We need some of our 6 footers to go to the Angel Reese school of rebounding relentlessness.
I think where we might see Sara be successful, is where our more athletic slashers and drivers are going into the lane and drawning coverage and then kicking it back out to her just standing there and then she nails the three.
I think Sara can do alot more than just stand in the corner. She really gets underestimated.

No matter how badly you overreact to DW's comments, I have no desire to spam you with gifs or anything else. I guarantee you that those ladies that are actually on the team feel supported by DW and liked his "little speech". If you're a Lady Vol basketball fan only, then I can see how you would be skeptical of DW since that program has continued to struggle while several of the other prominent UT teams have been successful. However, calling for his termination when he fired Kellie...which you did...was shortsighted at best. The pitiful swipes at the baseball and football programs reeked of jealousy over their improvement and current success as opposed to being a legitimate critique. This "DW boy fan club" is paying attention to the athletics at UT as a whole prior to DW's arrival through this current day and see the obvious progress the AD has made under his leadership. If all you care about is Lady Vols basketball, then you've probably not been happy. I'm betting that's about to change soon. By all means though, continue with the hilariously bad takes about DW and some of the other programs at UT. It's entertaining message board fodder during the off-season.
I have two degrees from Tennessee and am a fan of all the sports teams. I want my school to always be represented with class. DW does not do that in my estimation. You are free to continue fan boying over him.

Scary when we don't have much size. We need some of our 6 footers to go to the Angel Reese school of rebounding relentlessness.

Serious question, do you make it a habit to find a problem in every situation?

They just added two players with size that led their former teams in rebounding in the ACC. Both young and with the ability to average double figures in rebounds.

Tennessee has 4 players over 6’2 (6’5, 6’4, 6’2, and 6’2). Two players at 6’0 in Kaiya Wynn and Talaysia Cooper. The roster is still not finalized but even at this point this team does not lack size. Just from watching basketball it’s obvious this is how most teams are being built.

I have two degrees from Tennessee and am a fan of all the sports teams. I want my school to always be represented with class. DW does not do that in my estimation. You are free to continue fan boying over him.
I know this is a message board and anyone can say what they want and have their own opinions, but to say DW does not represent this school with class has to be the most outrageous statement I have seen on here in awhile, and well, quite frankly, that is saying something. A truly foolish and asinine statement.

Last edited:

They just added two players with size that led their former teams in rebounding in the ACC. Both young and with the ability to continue to improve.

Tennessee has 4 players over 6’2 (6’5, 6’4, 6’2, and 6’2). Two players at 6’0 in Kaiya Wynn and Talaysia Cooper. The roster is still not finalized but even at this point this team does not lack size. Just from watching basketball it’s obvious this is how most teams are being built.
6-5 Hollingshead don't rebound like she should

They just added two players with size that led their former teams in rebounding in the ACC. Both young and with the ability to average double figures in rebounds.

I think a lot of people need to understand this team is going to be coached in such a completely different way then how they were coached by the previous staff. For one Coach Tubner is a hella great post coach and I can guarantee you will see immediate improvement from our post players and in rebounding alone. Like you and others, I agree we will see much improvement from across the board. Her style of play does fit several of our players already.

I've always thought they would end up modifying the "system" to more suit the level of talent in the SEC. There just aren't that many teams that are simply going to let you dictate tempo. But OTOH, they're definitely recruiting the portal very much to suit it.

Jeeze, not making me feel better looking at the SEC. Esp without recruiting any more shooters.

I think Sara can do alot more than just stand in the corner. She really gets underestimated.
Completely agree with needing “rebounding relentlessness.”

Sorry if it seemed that way, but I wasn’t trying to take anything away from Sara. I just feel like her strength is when she can set up and shoot. But I said it in a clumsy way. I don’t really see her as a dribble drive penetrator kind of gal. But I also think she has a tremendous attitude, and we might really see her flourish and her game develop in a lot of unexpected ways that we’re not used to seeing under this new coach.

Reactions: brittannica
I think a lot of people need to understand this team is going to be coached in such a completely different way then how they were coached by the previous staff. For one Coach Tubner is a hella great post coach and I can guarantee you will see immediate improvement from our post players and in rebounding alone. Like you and others, I agree we will see much improvement from across the board. Her style of play does fit several of our players already.

This is true. It’s a coach/trainer from the Miami area right now really showing a lot of love to Coach Tubner on Instagram. The young players and HS recruits respect him as a coach. Coach Caldwell and Danny White hit a home hire with putting together the coaching staff.

I know this is a message board and anyone can say what they want and have their own opinions, but to say DW does not represent this school with class has to be the most outrageous statement I have seen on here in awhile, and well, quite frankly, that is saying something. A truly foolish and asinine statement.
And that is just your opinion.

We did not get Aaliyah Nye from Alabama after she entered the transfer portal when Roman took the job with us, but he could not get her to come here with him to a far superior program. That should tell us everything we need to know about what to expect from him as a recruiter.
WOW. Tell us you hate the program without actually saying it. WOW. Low.

I would love to see examples of DW not representing UT with class. I'm confident those examples do not exist. I don't expect others to share my opinion on everything, but I do expect opinions to have some basis in reality.

Loyola Marymount played that way under Paul Westhead.
If this fast-paced, breakneck speed, full court, balls to the wall brand of basketball our new head coach CKC runs is anything like the original "system" ran by coach Paul Westhead at Loyola Marymount with the likes of Hank Gathers, Bo Kimble and Tom "The Human Broom" Peabody in the late 80's early 90's, count me in!

From 1988-1990 LMU averaged 110, 112, and 122+ points per game!! They also posted a combined winning record of 70-18. during the 3 year stretch.

If ya'll aren't familiar with the Westhead's LMU Lions days check it out. Some of the most fun and entertaining brand of basketball I ever witnessed.

www.sports-reference.com

1989-90 Loyola Marymount Lions Men 's Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Check out the detailed 1989-90 Loyola Marymount Lions Roster and Stats for College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
www.sports-reference.com
www.sports-reference.com

R.I.P. Hank

If this fast-paced, breakneck speed, full court, balls to the wall brand of basketball our new head coach CKC runs is anything like the original "system" ran by coach Paul Westhead at Loyola Marymount with the likes of Hank Gathers, Bo Kimble and Tom "The Human Broom" Peabody in the late 80's early 90's, count me in!

From 1988-1990 LMU averaged 110, 112, and 122+ points per game!! They also posted a combined winning record of 70-18. during the 3 year stretch.

If ya'll aren't familiar with the Westhead's LMU Lions days check it out. Some of the most fun and entertaining brand of basketball I ever witnessed.

www.sports-reference.com

1989-90 Loyola Marymount Lions Men 's Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Check out the detailed 1989-90 Loyola Marymount Lions Roster and Stats for College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
www.sports-reference.com
www.sports-reference.com

R.I.P. Hank
Should be fun...

Reactions: JarFly
Bingo! I will add that Jewel Spear is an elite offensive player and her chances of starting is high. Jillian Hollingshead, Lazaria Spearman, Alyssa Latham, and Talaysia Cooper all have excellent skill-sets. You don’t dominate off the bench the way Jillian Hollingshead did as a sophomore against LSU in 2023 in the SEC tourney without having a good offensive skill-set.

I could see all the returnees Puckett, Edie, Ace, annd Kaiya improving aspects of their game this off-season.

People overlook this but UT as a team in recent years obviously never got significantly better during the off-season. All improvements came during the season. At some point, you have to take advantage of training individually and as a team to have success.

I want to see Destinee Wells and Kaniya Boyd get through rehab and be able to build chemistry with the team. That has to happen now. Can’t wait until the regular season.

This is going to be a fun year. I can’t wait!
GBO🍊!
Jill should be fully healthy too next year. Many people forgot she was injured pre-season and wore a shoulder brace every game.

What has he done that lacked class?

I get it. Y'all football posters stand ever ready to jump in to any discussion to defend the honor of the current AD, who is the greatest human being to ever grace the earth. Sorry, he is not human, my bad. He is an Angel descended from above to bring salvation to UT sports (but mainly football).

But, footballers, you are the ones who keep dredging up the heretical comments by "she who shall not be named" in order to rebuke them and demand proof of such unholy assertions. You are the ones keeping this unpleasant convo going....

Last edited:
I have two degrees from the University of Tennessee BSCE and MSCE ...for those who do not recognize what the letters mean they are Bachelor of Science Civil Engineering and Master of Science Civil Engineering .....and have been a fan of all Vol sports since 1948 .I have seen Athletic Directors ,College Presidents and or Chancellors come and go thru those 76 years and have a completely different perspective on Athletic Director White.To be clear as crystal, He is the best AD since Doug Dickey and the proof is in the "pudding " with the health of all programs except our beloved Lady Vols Basketball team and he is in the process of correcting that problem as I type this .....

We did not get Aaliyah Nye from Alabama after she entered the transfer portal when Roman took the job with us, but he could not get her to come here with him to a far superior program. That should tell us everything we need to know about what to expect from him as a recruiter.
This is certainly one way to view that situation. That's for sure.

Highly doubt it's the right one, but to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back