2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extra possessions coming on creating turn overs and rebounding?

Again, that seems so risky against teams (and there are many) too good or well coached to be turned over, or whose size keeps you off the boards.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd like an offense where you can also count on hitting good shots to score if forced to do so.

In this game they won by 12 had 12 more possessions. A lot of the turnovers are turned into good shots in a lot of their games. As you see in this game their offensive rebounding was two or three by several players. Marshall's talent level was quite low they played well above their ability.

Extra possessions coming on creating turn overs and rebounding?

Again, that seems so risky against teams (and there are many) too good or well coached to be turned over, or whose size keeps you off the boards.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd like an offense where you can also count on hitting good shots to score if forced to do so.
In those games where you can't win the possession battle you better hope you shoot well because it then becomes a shooting match to determine the winner.

In this game they won by 12 had 12 more possessions. A lot of the turnovers are turned into good shots in a lot of their games. As you see in this game their offensive rebounding was two or three by several players. Marshall's talent level was quite low they played well above their ability.
I'll watch this rainy afternoon, thanks.

I get scoring is dependent on extra possessions off creating turn overs. Pat actually lived off that for years with a crazy over playing D. But there will be lots of teams in the SEC nowadays you simply will not be able to turn over that much. That's where a Plan B is a good thing.

Wow! Talk about interpretation! Why he said it, which I doubt your explanation, means nothing. He said what he said. He owns it and if next year, god forbid, we finish 5th, 6th, 7th in the SEC as a recent post suggested, those missed expectations are all on him.
As far as complaining I’m trying to support our new coach. As a relatively inexperienced coach she’s going to learn some lessons over the next couple of years and we need to show her grace as she grows into the coach who will hopefully return our LVs to prominence. I believe she can do that. DW’s little speech, however, did her no favors.
Now, just to confirm the thing you did get right, I am not a fan of DW. If by my saying this you feel the need to send me gifs of fat, ugly women screeching etc. please don’t bother I already have numerous of those from the ever classy DW boy fan club.
No matter how badly you overreact to DW's comments, I have no desire to spam you with gifs or anything else. I guarantee you that those ladies that are actually on the team feel supported by DW and liked his "little speech". If you're a Lady Vol basketball fan only, then I can see how you would be skeptical of DW since that program has continued to struggle while several of the other prominent UT teams have been successful. However, calling for his termination when he fired Kellie...which you did...was shortsighted at best. The pitiful swipes at the baseball and football programs reeked of jealousy over their improvement and current success as opposed to being a legitimate critique. This "DW boy fan club" is paying attention to the athletics at UT as a whole prior to DW's arrival through this current day and see the obvious progress the AD has made under his leadership. If all you care about is Lady Vols basketball, then you've probably not been happy. I'm betting that's about to change soon. By all means though, continue with the hilariously bad takes about DW and some of the other programs at UT. It's entertaining message board fodder during the off-season.

In those games where you can't win the possession battle you better hope you shoot well because it then becomes a shooting match to determine the winner.
Exactly. Which is why the very low 3 pt shooting % of some of the super athletes is troubling.

IMO reality is we another reliable 3 pt shooter (or one of the new players to develop into one). My related out on the limb prediction is Sara Puckett will play alot more and be alot more important than many think. I really think Sara suffers from low white girl generalizations and expectations.

Unless you're defender doesn't let you get to the bucket at will and you also have poor 3 pt shooting. It's risky.

Can someone recommend a Marshall game that's available to watch that is a good example? And not Va Tech, which I won't watch bc I'm really trying here.
Virginia Tech without Kitley is like us without Rickea.

Exactly. Which is why the very low 3 pt shooting % of some of the super athletes is troubling.

IMO reality is we another reliable 3 pt shooter (or one of the new players to develop into one). My related out on the limb prediction is Sara Puckett will play alot more and be alot more important than many think. I really think Sara suffers from low white girl generalizations and expectations.
We could use another three point shooter for sure. Hard to see where we get one other than Rogers of Miss St 39.5 percent. I haven't heard anything about her visiting. Were not in it for Gardiner 41.6 percent as a 3 player. Those seem to be the two highest percentage three point shooters left. Then you start getting in the 35 range for some others. Whitehorn can make a bundle of twos not going to scare anybody from three and neither is Cooper.

Ik tess is tennessee through and through but i really think she shouldve got in the portal i jus dont see how she fits in the scheme of things hopefully im wrong....
I think she fits more than Wynn, we have a few tables now so having a shooter with limited athletes is not a problem. But having an athlete that can dribble, shoot or make layups is a liability.

Reactions: VolFuture
Agree to disagree. There are times motivational hyperbole is called for. The introductory presser for a new coach who's never coached at this level and who's facing the challenges this season is going to bring is not the time. That's the time for under promise and over deliver. Give the bombast a little rest and be supportive yet realistic.
I think Kim likes the pressure and no promises were made just expectations on what he expects. I’m sure they had those conversations privately so she knew what she signed up for, otherwise she would have turned the job down. I have a different mindset, this is Tennessee so we shouldn’t tolerate losing and I don’t care who we play.

People are looking too much into this system thing, once we play good teams like Notre Dame UConn and Texas we will see how it plays out. I discount everything I see when we play cupcakes.

Reactions: brittannica
Yes the point guard could be both or if not two more perimeter players. If she gets two more guards she is recruiting over Darby and Strickland it would seem.
My guess is that everyone is starting at zero and will compete for starting and minutes. No one should be considered number one on the sheet just because they’ve been here longer.

Once on the court the players will need to make plays, it won’t always be jacking up 3’s. Players have instincts on the court and u hop they make the right play, that’s why having a good Pg is essential, that’s been our downfall.

Reactions: travis929
But not based on size apparently. Is it position? Just board crashing? How do the army of 6 ft guards and wings get O boards?

I'm going to watch a game I promise.
Because most teams don't send all 5 players to the boards. One or two players will usually position themselves for transition defense. They are basically giving away easy layups. They will likely finish last in the SEC in pts allowed per game, but that (ideally) will be offset by leading the league in points per game by a landslide. They may well score 90 pts vs. SC, but the drawback is that SC could potentially score 120. But that's one team; the idea is that most other teams won't be able to win a shootout.

Well they don’t want to get late into it.. it’s more about get a shot up and press down the floor even if nominal. She values offense rebounders. Listen to her interviews she explains a lot
I’m glad that she values offensive rebounding. That was one of the things that really bothered me about previous teams. They would crank up a shot and three or four players would already be racing back on defense. We just ceded the offensive rebound. Let’s throw up a shot and stay in there and battle for the rebound and get a second and third attempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovol
I suspect Tess may have taken a role as team Mom, leader, culture insuror and contributor on the floor where she can. Basically what she ended up doing last year, only probably more so. Nothing wrong w that.
Ik tess is tennessee through and through but i really think she shouldve got in the portal i jus dont see how she fits in the scheme of things hopefully im wrong....
Hate to say it,,,but Edie may get more minutes than Tess, based upon the system Coach Kim wants to run

No matter how badly you overreact to DW's comments, I have no desire to spam you with gifs or anything else. I guarantee you that those ladies that are actually on the team feel supported by DW and liked his "little speech". If you're a Lady Vol basketball fan only, then I can see how you would be skeptical of DW since that program has continued to struggle while several of the other prominent UT teams have been successful. However, calling for his termination when he fired Kellie...which you did...was shortsighted at best. The pitiful swipes at the baseball and football programs reeked of jealousy over their improvement and current success as opposed to being a legitimate critique. This "DW boy fan club" is paying attention to the athletics at UT as a whole prior to DW's arrival through this current day and see the obvious progress the AD has made under his leadership. If all you care about is Lady Vols basketball, then you've probably not been happy. I'm betting that's about to change soon. By all means though, continue with the hilariously bad takes about DW and some of the other programs at UT. It's entertaining message board fodder during the off-season.
Are you telling me someone is actually complaining about DW??? We have a top 5 if not #1 AD, and someone wants to complain? He’s got me so excited I plan on watching Lady Vols basketball again for the first time in about 15 years. Go Vols!

Because most teams don't send all 5 players to the boards. One or two players will usually position themselves for transition defense. They are basically giving away easy layups. They will likely finish last in the SEC in pts allowed per game, but that (ideally) will be offset by leading the league in points per game by a landslide. They may well score 90 pts vs. SC, but the drawback is that SC could potentially score 120. But that's one team; the idea is that most other teams won't be able to win a shootout.
Loyola Marymount played that way under Paul Westhead.

Reactions: Raebo and JarFly
My guess is that everyone is starting at zero and will compete for starting and minutes. No one should be considered number one on the sheet just because they’ve been here longer.

Bingo! I will add that Jewel Spear is an elite offensive player and her chances of starting is high. Jillian Hollingshead, Lazaria Spearman, Alyssa Latham, and Talaysia Cooper all have excellent skill-sets. You don’t dominate off the bench the way Jillian Hollingshead did as a sophomore against LSU in 2023 in the SEC tourney without having a good offensive skill-set.

I could see all the returnees Puckett, Edie, Ace, annd Kaiya improving aspects of their game this off-season.

People overlook this but UT as a team in recent years obviously never got significantly better during the off-season. All improvements came during the season. At some point, you have to take advantage of training individually and as a team to have success.

I want to see Destinee Wells and Kaniya Boyd get through rehab and be able to build chemistry with the team. That has to happen now. Can’t wait until the regular season.

This is going to be a fun year. I can’t wait!
GBO🍊!

Last edited:
We could use another three point shooter for sure. Hard to see where we get one other than Rogers of Miss St 39.5 percent. I haven't heard anything about her visiting. Were not in it for Gardiner 41.6 percent as a 3 player. Those seem to be the two highest percentage three point shooters left. Then you start getting in the 35 range for some others. Whitehorn can make a bundle of twos not going to scare anybody from three and neither is Cooper.
I predict a lot of girls are in the gym this off-season working on their three-point shot because they see what it did for the women’s game with Caitlin Clark’s electric three-point shooting. You can already see from players who are posting their off-season workouts online. It’s them shooting three-pointers over and over and over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret178 and glv98
Wow! Talk about interpretation! Why he said it, which I doubt your explanation, means nothing. He said what he said. He owns it and if next year, god forbid, we finish 5th, 6th, 7th in the SEC as a recent post suggested, those missed expectations are all on him.
As far as complaining I’m trying to support our new coach. As a relatively inexperienced coach she’s going to learn some lessons over the next couple of years and we need to show her grace as she grows into the coach who will hopefully return our LVs to prominence. I believe she can do that. DW’s little speech, however, did her no favors.
Now, just to confirm the thing you did get right, I am not a fan of DW. If by my saying this you feel the need to send me gifs of fat, ugly women screeching etc. please don’t bother I already have numerous of those from the ever classy DW boy fan club.
I couldn't resist...
1714157951899.png

Reactions: JustaChicken

I think where we might see Sara be successful, is where our more athletic slashers and drivers are going into the lane and drawing coverage and then kicking it back out to her just standing there and then she nails the three.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back