2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO this sums it up. Ruby is the new "type" our team is going to be made up of.

I'm trying hard to learn and embrace our new system instead of being scared of it. So correct me if I'm wrong. But my understanding is the new system will depend more on shot volume than accuracy for scoring, esp from 3. Although I don't think they'd turn down an athletic accurate 3 pt shooter, like Nye, those are few and far between and almost nonexistent in this portal. At times we'll have 4 of this "type" on the floor at once, very athletic 6 footers who play strong D and depend on slashing to the rim for offense. Also they're very good rebounders, which can increase shot volume.

The other thing I'm working to get use to is lack of dependence on size and traditional post play. Mobility over size.

The scariest thing I'm trying to get over is what happens when we don't control tempo and are forced into the half court. That's still a problem to me. Also, how do we defend huge, true posts like Kamilla was.

If we get Whitehorn, I hope we cap it off w a good point guard, possibly even one who can hit 3s.
Shot volume but still hope to shoot a high percentage. Marshall shot 43 percent as a team averaged 86.4 as a team. The Idea being if you can win the possessions of a game you can win the game even if you have a bad shooting day.

82 shots to 67 for the opponent brought about by winning the turnover over battle and the offensive boards. 82 possessions 10 of 30 from the three 33 percent and 30 points. 21 of 52 from the two for 42 points 40 percent and hopefully 8 free throws would give you 83 points on 38 percent shooting. The opponent has to shoot around 50 percent to win this game.

Not that your trying to play a game where you shoot the ball badly just if you do you can still be in the game. You would like to get 82 shots and make 40 or more. If you did you would be pushing 100 points. We seldom won the possession battle with Kellie's teams. We won mostly by shooting the higher percentage and keeping the possessions close. In the Ohio State game of last season a team that plays a style similar to what is expected next season they had 83 possessions to our 67. They only shot 41 percent just 6 of 22 from the three and won by 20 points.

Caldwell's system is geared to if I can win the possession game by double digits then even if my team shoots 40 percent their team has to shoot 50 percent to win the game. She tries to make it happen and was successful at D2 and mid major. Of course it will work in D1 as well if you can assemble a team that doesn't turn it over and can force turnovers and has the inside game to win the offensive rebounds. Players like Spearman, Spear and Latham, Cooper, Ruby, maybe Boyd and Jill and Wynn are perfect for the system. Darby, Puckett are probably not but could find a way to fit in. Striplin did not fit well either she realized that was true.

We could use another couple of players with length going forward see how it ends up.

Yeah, that was posted a few days ago, it’s interesting because I may be dense but I still don’t understand the reference to wearing an L. Maybe someone here can help me.
I interpreted that to mean skim was “taking an L” as in he got that wrong… we all knew he was reporting Nye to TN and that didn’t up being true.

Think he's referring to getting Nye wrong. Makes me sick how much he's getting praised for admitting he jumped the gun. These guys just vomit stuff out there and hope they're right, but if not, no big deal. Internet "journalism."
He is pushing well over 90 percent right predictions. Sometimes things change when she visited Notre Dame I knew something was not right with her coming here.

He is pushing well over 90 percent right predictions. Sometimes things change when she visited Notre Dame I knew something was not right with her coming here.
Yep, Skim Milkey/Trilly Donovan is pretty legitimate and double, triple checks their sources, but sometimes things change abruptly and quickly with NIL and the portal - perhaps Alabama was able to pull together a deal to convince Nye to stay. Agreed with @glv98 that a lot of the other accounts out there now are just throwing stuff out there and basically mimicking what Skim Milkey/Trilly Donovan started, but without the due diligence.

Yep, Skim Milkey/Trilly Donovan is pretty legitimate and double, triple checks their sources, but sometimes things change abruptly and quickly with NIL and the portal - perhaps Alabama was able to pull together a deal to convince Nye to stay. Agreed with @glv98 that a lot of the other accounts out there now are just throwing stuff out there and basically mimicking what Skim Milkey/Trilly Donovan started, but without the due diligence.
Your really not safe with any player until the portal closes on May 11th and then you can say they are yours for a season.

To me Coach Kim's system is a lot like Nate Oats at Bama and what Pearl ran while he was here and currently at Auburn. Lots of 3s, get out and run, high pressure defense. She is getting super athletic players who can run the floor as seen with Latham and Spearman and hopefully Whitehorn. I see no reason why this won't work once the players and system are fully in place. I look forward to this new regime in KnoxVegas.

From what I've read, there may be some cultural issues that draw Beers to OK over UConn. Apparently some of her social media indicates some political leanings (what was she thinking making those public) that indicate she'd be more comfortable at OK.

I sure hope that's wrong and she ends up at UConn. The last thing we need is another even stronger SEC opponent.
Never be scared of anyone, we just need to get the players to compete. Put the pressure on us to go out and fight for these top players so everyone will be scared of us.

To me Coach Kim's system is a lot like Nate Oats at Bama and what Pearl ran while he was here and currently at Auburn. Lots of 3s, get out and run, high pressure defense. She is getting super athletic players who can run the floor as seen with Latham and Spearman and hopefully Whitehorn. I see no reason why this won't work once the players and system are fully in place. I look forward to this new regime in KnoxVegas.
I hope the players are ready the physical conditioning that is required will be a lot more work than most have experienced to this point in their careers.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I have Alyssa Latham as the most underrated player from the portal. I see these players name and look back at Kiki Iriafen who averaged 6 pts a game a year ago. Latham as a freshman played with one of the top scorers in WBB and still averaged close to double figures scoring as a freshman. But more importantly, she is a complete player. Absolutely dominated Notre Dame and Alabama. She is the upcoming walking double double forward in WBB.
Her game does remind me of Kiki, she should have a breakout season.

From what I've read, there may be some cultural issues that draw Beers to OK over UConn. Apparently some of her social media indicates some political leanings (what was she thinking making those public) that indicate she'd be more comfortable at OK.

I sure hope that's wrong and she ends up at UConn. The last thing we need is another even stronger SEC opponent.
We care way too much about politics in this country….It should never split people apart like it does.

Step 4 - never delve into negative comments if you must delve at all. He who goes fishing for insults will surely find them.
Step 5 - never, ever let Mom. or Dad, get into back and forth with fans or other parents.

This where the lack of shooting accuracy worries me. Spear and Puckett are good 3 pt shooters, but not particularly athletic and can be streaky. Would be great to have one more shooter. That's where not getting Nye really hurt.
Spear is athletic enough, she can create her shot and get space off the dribble. She’s the only player we have that can do that from 3.

Reactions: Rooster1
I have Alyssa Latham as the most underrated player from the portal. I see these players name and look back at Kiki Iriafen who averaged 6 pts a game a year ago. Latham as a freshman played with one of the top scorers in WBB and still averaged close to double figures scoring as a freshman. But more importantly, she is a complete player. Absolutely dominated Notre Dame and Alabama. She is the upcoming walking double double forward in WBB.
She has a game similar to LSU's Morrow in some ways.

But so much depends on the opponents cooperation in not breaking the press and in committing those t.o.s. Lesser SEC probably will, greater SEC I'm not so sure. That's why a plan B and some shooters seems so important. My hope is some of the young newcomers will develop their outside shots and I'm sure they will.
Never be scared of anyone, we just need to get the players to compete. Put the pressure on us to go out and fight for these top players so everyone will be scared of us.
If only it were that simple. We're going to have to win something to get those players to take a second look, no matter how hard we "fight". The last few years we've been pretty much unarmed for the fight, except for the tradition. The great players want to win and play late into the NCAA tourney. We have to show that.

But so much depends on the opponents cooperation in not breaking the press and in committing those t.o.s. Lesser SEC probably will, greater SEC I'm not so sure. That's why a plan B and some shooters seems so important. My hope is some of the young newcomers will develop their outside shots and I'm sure they will.

If only it were that simple. We're going to have to win something to get those players to take a second look, no matter how hard we "fight". The last few years we've been pretty much unarmed for the fight, except for the tradition. The great players want to win and play late into the NCAA tourney. We have to show that.
Winning helps but sometimes u get that great player to come before you’re winning, they think they can help change your fortunes, like Juju with USC, now look at their recruiting class coming in and probably getting Kiki as well.

I agree. Auburn was two deep at every position this season. I watched the SEC championship and Florida was drained in the second half. The constant pressure wore them down. Alabama was the #1 team in offense I think and was unstoppable when they decided to play tough defense. Auburn and Alabama are the only men's teams in the SEC that have made it to the Final Four the last 5+ years. If you have the players, the system can work.

Tells me Danny White watches the games and saw what most people outside of a few on VN and Twitter did..
Tennessee underachieved greatly this past season.

Tennessee earned a #6 seed in a down season where most on here kept saying they might not even make tournament.

Not just due to the injuries to Rickea Jackson and Destinee Wells. Or the schedule.

Something was missing. There has been too many games over the years that start out and end the same way. Getting behind big in the 1st half was a negative trend in big games. One or two times is expected. But for two seasons in a row that is a game management issue. That trend was not solely on the personnel on the roster. The in-game management was too often predictable. And it also gives off an indication that the team wasn’t preparing in practice to come out from the opening quarter and take control in games. Or to even compete.

To me, what I see and think Danny White realizes is that in practice you can build an identity of fast pace, high energy, and tempo basketball that will carry over to the games. Training and coaching matters just as much in practice than in games. Something was missing with the training, coaching, and preparation from practice to games in recent years.

Also, we do not know if the SEC is stronger or not. This is the same theme every year. Texas A&M was suppose to be the team last year that people claim Oklahoma will be and we see how that turned out. I can see LSU taking a step back. They did lose to Auburn and Mississippi State this season.

Tennessee will always get downplayed on this site and in some media circles until the season starts. Danny White knows exactly what he said has a chance of coming true. Regardless of who supports it or not. The odds are in his favor.
Are you saying they underachieved or overachieved then?

IMO this sums it up. Ruby is the new "type" our team is going to be made up of.

I'm trying hard to learn and embrace our new system instead of being scared of it. So correct me if I'm wrong. But my understanding is the new system will depend more on shot volume than accuracy for scoring, esp from 3. Although I don't think they'd turn down an athletic accurate 3 pt shooter, like Nye, those are few and far between and almost nonexistent in this portal. At times we'll have 4 of this "type" on the floor at once, very athletic 6 footers who play strong D and depend on slashing to the rim for offense. Also they're very good rebounders, which can increase shot volume.

The other thing I'm working to get use to is lack of dependence on size and traditional post play. Mobility over size.

The scariest thing I'm trying to get over is what happens when we don't control tempo and are forced into the half court. That's still a problem to me. Also, how do we defend huge, true posts like Kamilla was.

If we get Whitehorn, I hope we cap it off w a good point guard, possibly even one who can hit 3s.
So with you on these questions! I can’t figure out how you defend a big, back to the basket center if the press is broken? Also seems system is dependent upon rebounding. If you have a quicker, smaller center how do they fight for position against a traditional big?
I know CKC has answers to these questions. I just haven’t seen anyone in the SEC run these systems, as admittedly I am imagining them, to visualize how this will work.
Thoughts from our more savvy basketball minds?

Spear is athletic enough, she can create her shot and get space off the dribble. She’s the only player we have that can do that from 3.

Destinee Wells can shoot the 3pt shot and create as well as facilitate. The injury was a setback.
The way she was used also caused a long slow transition within the system.

I have no doubt in my mind that if Destinee had stayed in Belmont for another season and was available in the portal right now after having another season of averaging 19-20 ppg that everyone poster on this board who dismisses her ability would be saying the staff needs get her to Tennessee.

You can’t write a player off after just 12 games in one season.

Destinee was recruited by multiple P5 schools out of the portal before she committed to UT.

It is just kind of ironic how when players have a setback or a down year some people act like they never were highly productive at all in their career.

That is quite different from Lucy's claim that he said that the LV's would win the SEC Championship this season.
I didn’t say anything about SEC Championships. He did say competing for championships year 1.
I can see your point about competing for vs winning. That is a fair point. I will stick with my main assertion, however, that what he said was a bit unfair to our new coach.
I believe he would have been better off with something like “we will be putting a team on the court that can compete and win against the best teams” and leave it at that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back