2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my hunch here, but I think the top three bigs in the portal will land at these schools:

Beers: Uconn
Iriafen: ND
Gardiner: Utah

OK seems in play for Beers, but UConn is the better fit imo where she would replace Edwards and be in play for a NC immediately. Iriafen could stay West Coast, but UCLA is loaded already in the frontcourt and USC is tricky with JuJu the predominant offensive piece. Academically, and team makeup wise it makes more sense at ND, again just my opinion. Gardiner is very quiet about her status, always has been even in HS recruiting, but she would be perfect in the Utah system where they encourage their bigs to shoot the three.

Last edited:
Curious what the Ruby Whitehorn fans like about her game and why they want her on Rocky Top next year. Her shooting stats from last year are meh.

.275 - 3 point
.692 - FT

What I like is 125 of 243 two point field goals for 51.5 percent. 46.4 percent overall field goal percentage. 5.2 rebound per game from the two guard position. Defense. 45 steals. She is a mid range get to the basket guard like Horston was. Horston was not a three point shooter either.
IMO this sums it up. Ruby is the new "type" our team is going to be made up of.

I'm trying hard to learn and embrace our new system instead of being scared of it. So correct me if I'm wrong. But my understanding is the new system will depend more on shot volume than accuracy for scoring, esp from 3. Although I don't think they'd turn down an athletic accurate 3 pt shooter, like Nye, those are few and far between and almost nonexistent in this portal. At times we'll have 4 of this "type" on the floor at once, very athletic 6 footers who play strong D and depend on slashing to the rim for offense. Also they're very good rebounders, which can increase shot volume.

The other thing I'm working to get use to is lack of dependence on size and traditional post play. Mobility over size.

The scariest thing I'm trying to get over is what happens when we don't control tempo and are forced into the half court. That's still a problem to me. Also, how do we defend huge, true posts like Kamilla was.

If we get Whitehorn, I hope we cap it off w a good point guard, possibly even one who can hit 3s.

I'm trying hard to learn and embrace our new system instead of being scared of it. So correct me if I'm wrong. But my understanding is the new system will depend more on shot volume than accuracy for scoring, esp from 3. Although I don't think they'd turn down an athletic accurate 3 pt shooter, like Nye, those are few and far between and almost nonexistent in this portal. At times we'll have 4 of this "type" on the floor at once, very athletic 6 footers who play strong D and depend on slashing to the rim for offense. Also they're very good rebounders, which can increase shot volume.

The other thing I'm working to get use to is lack of dependence on size and traditional post play. Mobility over size.

The scariest thing I'm trying to get over is what happens when we don't control tempo. That still seems like a huge unknown to me. Also, how do we defend huge, true posts like Kamilla was.

If we get Whitehorn, I hope we cap it off w a good point guard who can hit 3s.
If Ruby signs with LV’s I doubt CKC takes any more guards. I could be wrong, but that would put UT roster at 8 guards already, 9 depending on classification.

The scariest thing I'm trying to get over is what happens when we don't control tempo and are forced into the half court. That's still a problem to me. Also, how do we defend huge, true posts like Kamilla was.

If we get Whitehorn, I hope we cap it off w a good point guard, possibly even one who can hit 3s.
My fear is also our ability to adapt when we don’t control tempo. Probably won’t be able to ease those fears either until we see them play! I do plan to be at any and all events open to season ticket holders for data gathering purposes.

I also worry because I didn’t see CKC adapt her game plan at all during the game against VT whereas they came out of the locker room with a plan that they executed to a forty point win. Was that lack of adaptation because CKC didn’t have the manpower to change her game plan, or was it stubbornness? Time will tell. Dawn is a great coach beyond her recruiting abilities because she can tinker and find the weaknesses with most teams, and I hope (and am trying to convince myself) that we will be prepared for that.

Just my hunch here, but I think the top three bigs in the portal will land at these schools:

OK seems in play for Beers, but UConn is the better fit imo where she would replace Edwards and be in play for a NC immediately. Iriafen could stay West Coast, but UCLA is loaded already in the frontcourt and USC is tricky with JuJu the predominant offensive piece. Academically, and team makeup wise it makes more sense at ND, again just my opinion. Gardiner is very quiet about her status, always has been even in HS recruiting, but she would be perfect in the Utah system.
From what I've read, there may be some cultural issues that draw Beers to OK over UConn. Apparently some of her social media indicates some political leanings (what was she thinking making those public) that indicate she'd be more comfortable at OK.

I sure hope that's wrong and she ends up at UConn. The last thing we need is another even stronger SEC opponent.

Not sure if already discussed but looks like Nye decided to stay at Bama if this is interpreted correctly:

Yeah, that was posted a few days ago, it’s interesting because I may be dense but I still don’t understand the reference to wearing an L. Maybe someone here can help me.

From what I've read, there may be some cultural issues that draw Beers to OK over UConn. Apparently some of her social media indicates some political leanings (what was she thinking making those public) that indicate she'd be more comfortable at OK.

I sure hope that's wrong and she ends up at UConn. The last thing we need is another even stronger SEC opponent.
I need to start a social media consulting firm for college athletes. Step one, make a public professional page where you just hype your team and recruit. Step two, have a private burner where you have all your secret weird likes that might be off putting for various reasons. Step three, never have fans of a team you’re visiting realize you hate dogs or whatever and, subsequently, prosper.

My fear is also our ability to adapt when we don’t control tempo. Probably won’t be able to ease those fears either until we see them play! I do plan to be at any and all events open to season ticket holders for data gathering purposes.

I also worry because I didn’t see CKC adapt her game plan at all during the game against VT whereas they came out of the locker room with a plan that they executed to a forty point win. Was that lack of adaptation because CKC didn’t have the manpower to change her game plan, or was it stubbornness? Time will tell. Dawn is a great coach beyond her recruiting abilities because she can tinker and find the weaknesses with most teams, and I hope (and am trying to convince myself) that we will be prepared for that.
Yep, the second half vs VT hangs over my learning curve like the Sword of Damocles. But hopefully better quality players and espec the SEC experience of the new coaches will kick in. Those coaches can let CKC know what to expect fm SEC defenses and hopefully how to have a plan B against them.

Lazaria Spearman is listed at 6’4 and has a very long wingspan.
Her length will be an asset to defending any post player. I watched her highlights she is an aggressive mobile defender all around in the paint that’s something UT hasn’t had in awhile.

Same for Alyssa Latham. She can also defend. You don’t have to be 6’4 or taller to bang in the women’s game. Latham had some aggressive block shots against top competition. I watched her exposed Hannah Hidalgo and ND post players a couple times on defense this season.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they add one more 6’4 or 6’3 post player through the portal.

There are no more TK and Kamilla type post players in the WBB. Even the 6’5 and taller players like to face up and shoot jumpers. Point guard is not and should not be a priority. One more post for depth, and two more guard/wing.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was posted a few days ago, it’s interesting because I may be dense but I still don’t understand the reference to wearing an L.
Think he's referring to getting Nye wrong. Makes me sick how much he's getting praised for admitting he jumped the gun. These guys just vomit stuff out there and hope they're right, but if not, no big deal. Internet "journalism."

There are no more TK and Kamilla type post players in the WBB
Lauren Betts begs to differ. I realize there's a trend away from traditional post play, but I still can't see any coach turning down a skilled post who is simply taller than everyone else. Zach Eddy type. They will always be a force.

Yep, the second half vs VT hangs over my learning curve like the Sword of Damocles. But hopefully better quality players and espec the SEC experience of the new coaches will kick in. Those coaches can let CKC know what to expect fm SEC defenses and hopefully how to have a plan B against them.
That will be needed, a good plan B each night In the SEC. Because some teams are excellent against a press defense and manufacture easy points and control a game easily against that tactic. Not all teams can do that, but the better coached ones with good guards are able to transition downcourt quickly for open shots against the press. So a plan B is going to be very important.

OK seems in play for Beers, but UConn is the better fit imo where she would replace Edwards and be in play for a NC immediately. Iriafen could stay West Coast, but UCLA is loaded already in the frontcourt and USC is tricky with JuJu the predominant offensive piece. Academically, and team makeup wise it makes more sense at ND, again just my opinion. Gardiner is very quiet about her status, always has been even in HS recruiting, but she would be perfect in the Utah system where they encourage their bigs to shoot the three.

I have Alyssa Latham as the most underrated player from the portal. I see these players name and look back at Kiki Iriafen who averaged 6 pts a game a year ago. Latham as a freshman played with one of the top scorers in WBB and still averaged close to double figures scoring as a freshman. But more importantly, she is a complete player. Absolutely dominated Notre Dame and Alabama. She is the upcoming walking double double forward in WBB.

Actually it had already been provided right before our posts. For me when he says we will be competing for championships and when he says not in 2,3 etc years. That means pretty immediately. Based on the discussion on here different people got different things out of his comments. I felt like it was an over promise and was a little unfair to Caldwell.
I edited this to get the number of years correct.
To me that does not say that he expects to win the SEC Championship this season .It says he expects to compete for Championships !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to start a social media consulting firm for college athletes. Step one, make a public professional page where you just hype your team and recruit. Step two, have a private burner where you have all your secret weird likes that might be off putting for various reasons. Step three, never have fans of a team you’re visiting realize you hate dogs or whatever and, subsequently, prosper.
Step 4 - never delve into negative comments if you must delve at all. He who goes fishing for insults will surely find them.
Step 5 - never, ever let Mom. or Dad, get into back and forth with fans or other parents.
That will be needed, a good plan B each night In the SEC. Because some teams are excellent against a press defense and manufacture easy points and control a game easily against that tactic. Not all teams can do that, but the better coached ones with good guards are able to transition downcourt quickly for open shots against the press. So a plan B is going to be very important.
This where the lack of shooting accuracy worries me. Spear and Puckett are good 3 pt shooters, but not particularly athletic and can be streaky. Would be great to have one more shooter. That's where not getting Nye really hurt.

To me that does not say that he expects to win the SEC Championship this season .It says he expects to compete for Championships !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also says to me he expects to finish better than last yr - good to great on the one yr plan. That was already going to be a tall order just bc the SEC has gotten so ridiculously strong.

Also says to me he expects to finish better than last yr - good to great on the one yr plan. That was already going to be a tall order just bc the SEC has gotten so ridiculously strong.
That is quite different from Lucy's claim that he said that the LV's would win the SEC Championship this season.

Reactions: Labtech
That is quite different from Lucy's claim that he said that the LV's would win the SEC Championship this season.
He did say they'd compete for the SEC championship this year, which means finishing in the top 3 or 4 and having a real chance at it late in the season. Basically finish better this year than last. Hope he's right, but still feel that's an unrealistic expectation for this season.

Tells me Danny White watches the games and saw what most people outside of a few on VN and Twitter did.. Tennessee underachieved greatly this past season.
Tennessee earned a #6 seed in a down season where most on here kept saying they might not even make tournament.

Not just due to the injuries to Rickea Jackson and Destinee Wells. Or the schedule.

Something was missing. There has been too many games over the years that start out and end the same way. Getting behind big in the 1st half was a negative trend in big games. One or two times is expected. But for two seasons in a row that is a game management issue. That trend was not solely on the personnel on the roster. The in-game management was too often predictable. And it also gives off an indication that the team wasn’t preparing in practice to come out from the opening quarter and take control in games. Or to even compete.

To me, what I see and think Danny White realizes is that in practice you can build an identity of fast pace, high energy, and tempo basketball that will carry over to the games. Training and coaching matters just as much in practice than in games. Something was missing with the training, coaching, and preparation from practice to games in recent years.

Also, we do not know if the SEC is stronger or not. This is the same theme every year. Texas A&M was suppose to be the team last year that people claim Oklahoma will be and we see how that turned out. I can see LSU taking a step back. They did lose to Auburn and Mississippi State this past season.

Tennessee will always get downplayed on this site and in some media circles until the season starts. Danny White knows exactly what he said has a chance of coming true. Regardless of who supports it or not. The odds are in his favor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back