2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure wish Nye's commit would be official. Don't trust the sources. She is one of the top returning SEC players given she made 2nd team all SEC this year and many of the first teamers graduating. I would love for us to land Latham as well. As many have pointed out, we need a young Big players desperately for our future, and one that has shown interest in the LVs across regimes and made the 5 member All ACC Freshmen team seems like a perfect fit.

Not one coach has ever wanted anything but the very best player out there. Problem is, most of the time you don't get that. Then the issue becomes do you "settle" for tweeners or try only for elite and risk the kind of holes in the roster we have now. Of course you'd rather have Rickea than almost any other player alive. But if you can't get her, and most of the time you won't, do you take no one or the best player you can get. You have to have a roster.
Local paper did a report on NIL and college athletes, which is now expanding to include cheerleaders and marching band members. Eye popping stat was that Bronny James had six million in NIL $ to go USC. He will take a pay cut when he enters the NBA (If Bronny goes first round to the Lakers, he also wins the nepo baby of the year award).

But back to main topic of the day, the fact is that Tennessee is not the destination school for elite players. the LVs are the proverbial back-up option. Supposedly NIL is a big part of the reason, but not being in a final four for 16 seasons plays a factor as well. For a couple of recruiting cycles, a lot is going to depend on this staff having a good eye for talent and finding players who are flying under the radar but can thrive in their system. I think, as per Kellie (aka the cause of the all the world's problems), CKC's odds of landing an elite player, at least in the short term, are better through the portal. As per Rickea, players who have been around the block, may have more mature perspective on what they want and need versus being wowed by recruiting hype as high schoolers.

Last edited:
I sure wish Nye's commit would be official. Don't trust the sources. She is one of the top returning SEC players given she made 2nd team all SEC this year and many of the first teamers graduating. I would love for us to land Latham as well. As many have pointed out, we need a young Big players desperately for our future, and one that has shown interest in the LVs across regimes and made the 5 member All ACC Freshmen team seems like a perfect fit.
You can’t predict the future, players can leave whenever they want.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Definitely left the roster worse than she found it. But I don't think that's true for the program overall. In fact, ironically, one of the reasons she got fired is that she got so painfully close to the big wins this year and just couldn't quite make it happen. The roster mess is a setback we all knew was coming but I still don't think the program is worse now than Holly left it.
Just depends on your view of worse. Both had those issues and I don’t think either will write a chapter on how to build culture or championships.

I’m into settling because that gets u nowhere, we should be able to get one, you have teams with 2 or 3 on their team and if we can get one why have a basketball program at all. We can fill up the holes we need but in order to win we need at least one elite player. I know I think differently, most people just like to watch the team play and all is good, but I just can’t be that way, I love winning and hate losing with a passion.
You're not different. Everyone wants the best players and everyone wants to win the natty every year. Maybe you are different in not being able to still follow one of the 99.9% of teams who aren't going to achieve that because you think that's "settling".

Seriously people get off the Kellie/NIL/recruiting BS. Give it a rest.

Let's talk about who looks like coming to play here!

Caldwell has to WIN at least 20 games and take us to the tournament for me otherwise it's a downgrade in coaching because that's what Kellie did. NO EXCUSES!

It would be great if we went to the Elite 8 or Final Four in the next couple of years or even win a championship. That would prove Caldwell was the right hire. Until such time, WE have no idea how she is going to perform in the SEC. We know how Kellie did!

If that's what you call it. If you call what Holly left her to clean up, you clearly haven't been watching. But continue on.
Again, Kellies best years were with Hollys players. No portal, no NIL. Just gifted a roster. All she had to do was be better and she’s coaching today. Holly did the hard part following the legend. I mean, if we are watching an all.

If that's what you call it. If you call what Holly left her to clean up, you clearly haven't been watching. But continue on.

Holly left her a lot of really talented players. The culture was in shambles, but the roster was lit.

I would argue it’s much easier to take a good roster and turn around the culture than it is to take a good culture and turn around the roster.

Kim is inheriting a great culture thanks to Kellie, but a really poorly managed roster and recruiting front. Thankfully she seems up to the challenge and has no issue with high expectations.

You're not different. Everyone wants the best players and everyone wants to win the natty every year. Maybe you are different in not being able to still follow one of the 99.9% of teams who aren't going to achieve that because you think that's "settling".
I don’t think most people on here want to win and I can tell by their posts. I’m not saying we need every great player but we need 1 at a minimum and that’s not much to ask. You have teams with 2 All Americans on their roster and multiple top recruits, if they can do it so can we. I can live with it if we go after all the best and are turned down and then we settle for the next level, but don’t just go after a bunch of reserves at the start.

Last edited:
Holly left her a lot of really talented players. The culture was in shambles, but the roster was lit.

I would argue it’s much easier to take a good roster and turn around the culture than it is to take a good culture and turn around the roster.

Kim is inheriting a great culture thanks to Kellie, but a really poorly managed roster and recruiting front. Thankfully she seems up to the challenge and has no issue with high expectations.
Now this we can agree on!

I don’t think most people on here want to win and I can tell by their posts. I’m not saying we need every great player but we need 1 at a minimum and that’s not much to ask. You have teams with 2 All American on her roster and multiple top recruits, if they can do it so can we. I can live with it if we go after all the best and are turned down and then we settle for the next level, but don’t just go after a bunch of reserves at the start.
So, all the Pissotts? That was the trap into which Kellie was lured.

Seriously people get off the Kellie/NIL/recruiting BS. Give it a rest.

Let's talk about who looks like coming to play here!

Caldwell has to WIN at least 20 games and take us to the tournament for me otherwise it's a downgrade in coaching because that's what Kellie did. NO EXCUSES!

It would be great if we went to the Elite 8 or Final Four in the next couple of years or even win a championship. That would prove Caldwell was the right hire. Until such time, WE have no idea how she is going to perform in the SEC. We know how Kellie did!
Not too good and that’s why we have a new coach.
I agree: We do need to let her go and discuss who we’re bringing in to play.
Next season will be exciting based on her style of play.
Buckle up Buttercup. We gonna rock and roll.

Neither Holly or Kelly can coach. The product on the floor has gone down each year. If you don't agree, you are not knowledgeable enough to comment. When you allow teams to continually shoot lay up after lay up and don't have anyone trying to prevent it, you can't coach. That is fundamental basketball taught to 3rd graders. Ugh

Those 10-11-12s. How did Rennie wind up on our roster? There were some rough players left on that roster. I’d agree that Kellie’s effort to clean that aspect up fell short. Just hoping we found something special in CKC.
Didn’t say she left the 1998 roster.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back