2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nye is a fifth year, which isn't ideal but in her case I'd take it. This would be a huge icebreaker for CKC. Investment from a legit SEC player on the heels of buyin fm legit SEC coaches.

Sounds closer to a done deal for us, Ball Out devoted it's LV shot of the day to it.

edit: sorry didn't realize this got posted last night

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m not sure if it would automatically improve everyone’s %. However, I think those who can be improved hopefully will.
Same. Really glad if it improves our iffy 3 pt shooters. But I guess I have post "live by the 3 die by the 3" syndrome. I'd still like our transfers to be already solid 3 pt shooters and not dependent on the statistical improvement of the system.

Also, I'd still like a dependable scorer or 2 who can score on different levels. And a young post!

Last edited:
We are at 6 girls with one year left and 4 returners…

FOUR. That is a catastrophic meltdown next year. Also coaches want players to grow in system so year 2,3 etc are better…

She already said November isn’t her best month. So imagine pulling a Kellie and redoing this year over year with new players. Unsustainable.

Imo we can afford 2 one years and must get 3 younger. MUST.

Kellie should have redshirted Kaiya and Karo. Also Ace after her 2 injuries but she sucks at roster management
Totally agree. Also, I think CKC has a mandate from her boss to balance out the disaster of a roster class wise. We've heard the over dependance on older players and gaping holes in the roster were among his main reasons for firing Kellie. IMO leaving a roster w potentially just four players after next year was her worst legacy. Except well, the 1.1 second.

I get the value of the portal, but overdependance on something as iffy portal recruiting just seems unwise. Of course the portal will still be heavily used, esp for home run gets. But CKC has to do better than KJH's nothingburger in foundational hs recruiting, an area she has no experience in at this level. That's why bringing in experienced SEC level recruiters was such a good move.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Also, I think CKC has a mandate from her boss to balance out the disaster of a roster class wise. We've heard the over dependance on older players and gaping holes in the roster were among his main reasons for firing Kellie. IMO leaving a roster w potentially just four players after next year was her worst legacy. Except well, the 1.1 second.

I get the value of the portal, but overdependance on something as iffy portal recruiting just seems unwise. Of course the portal will still be heavily used, esp for home run gets. But CKC has to do better than KJH's nothingburger in foundational hs recruiting, an area she has no experience in at this level. That's why bringing in experienced SEC level recruiters was such a good move.
Her (Kellie's) biggest downfall in recruiting was she wouldn't do what he has hired her (Kim) and her assistances to do and that is to contact players while they are on other teams and get them to enter the portal or change their commitments out of high school. It was one thing Pat didn't agree with, nor did Holly.

This fanbase to this day is not over Brenda Frese calling Candace during the season and trying to get her to become a Terp, or Geno's antics with the Maya Moore recruiting situation, but now most will be on board with it now that this is what Kim and her staff are being advised to and will do.

That is what the Ballout is alluding to, and one thing Tennessee wouldn't do and that's compromise the integrity of their program or game. Now with integrity for the program no longer mattering, we will likely get recruits to come.

If it works they'll be praised for it, if it doesn't they won't be around to deal with whatever ramifications come from it.

Sometimes you have to get "dirty" I guess, and teams have been doing it to us, so I guess its bout time we "do it to them".

Her (Kellie's) biggest downfall in recruiting was she wouldn't do what he has hired her assistances to do and that is to contact players while they are on other teams and get them to enter the portal or change their commitments once they are signed. It was one thing Pat didn't agree with, nor did Holly.

This fanbase to this day is not over Brenda Frese calling Candace during the season and trying to get her to become a Terp, when she added Sara Wiley, or Geno's antics with the Maya Moore situation, but now everyone will be on board with it now that this is what Kim and her staff is being advised to and will do.

That is what the Ballout is alluding to, and one thing Tennessee wouldn't do and that's compromise the integrity of their program or game. Now with integrity for the program no longer mattering, we will likely get recruits to come.

If it works they'll be praised for it, if it doesn't they won't be around to deal with whatever ramifications come from it.

Sometimes you have to get "dirty" I guess, and teams have been doing it to us, so I guess its bout time we "do it to them".
I don't think a player following a coach or assistant coach to another school is necessarily tampering. I mean the event speaks for itself. When that coach goes to another school and and the player loves the coach and the new school checks out, the coach doesn't have to say a word.

Also, I asked the other day, if a player reaches out to a coach is that tampering? Hey coach, can I come with? Probably is if the coach engages a conversation about transferring.

It ain't pretty but it is what it is. I'd call it plundering more than tampering. Thank your previous job by leaving them devastated. IMO alot of us are faced with deciding on a fairly regular basis if college sports in its current state is something we feel good about continuing to follow.

I don't think a player following a coach or assistant coach to another school is necessarily tampering. I mean the event speaks for itself. When that coach goes to another school and and the player loves the coach and the new school checks out, the coach doesn't have to say a word.

Also, I asked the other day, if a player reaches out to a coach is that tampering? Hey coach, can I come with? Probably is if the coach engages a conversation about transferring.

It ain't pretty but it is what it is. I'd call it plundering more than tampering. Thank your previous job by leaving them devastated. IMO alot of us are faced with deciding on a fairly regular basis if college sports in its current state is something we feel good about continuing to follow.
If Nye ends up at Tennessee (and any other Bama player for that matter), I bet Kristy Curry is livid.

Yep and depending on how it happens, she will definitely say something about.
Players following coaches to new jobs is not new. How is it different for an assistant? Is this different from Kenny Brooks?

BTW, Belmont coach says hold my beer. He's been yelling about mid-majors getting tampered with for years. Including right after DW came here.

I think it’s funny that when Amoore followed her coach that nothing was said. Is it bc players are only supposed to be loyal to the head coach, and Tubner was an assistant? I mean we’ve seen tons of players transfer for a particular coach. I don’t compare what Brenda did to this at all 🤷‍♂️

Players following coaches to new jobs is not new. How is it different for an assistant? Is this different from Kenny Brooks?

BTW, Belmont coach says hold my beer. He's been yelling about mid-majors getting tampered with for years. Including right after DW came here.
Following a head coach is totally different than following an assistant coach! But I get your point.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
Nye is a fifth year, which isn't ideal but in her case I'd take it. This would be a huge icebreaker for CKC. Investment from a legit SEC player on the heels of buyin fm legit SEC coaches.

Sounds closer to a done deal for us, Ball Out devoted it's LV shot of the day to it.

edit: sorry didn't realize this got posted last night

She may be starting at square one real soon losing two starters to the portal whether that be Tennessee or someone else has already happened. Maybe she needs to start looking in the portal.

We don't even know for sure if Tennessee is the school Nye has in mind. I mean, the window to enter the portal is pretty short, so while the timing of her entering so relatively soon after Tubner is hired away from her school certainly hints strongly that she might want to follow him. And Ball Out obviously thinks the same thing. But it could also be that once Tubner left she and her family decided the timing was right for her to go to North Carolina. Or somewhere not Alabama.

I hope it's Tennessee, but I'm too scared to count on it. 😬

And ya know, as far as plundering goes -- I do agree "plundering" is the better word in this case if it IS her following Tubner -- who's to say she didn't approach him immediately after the meeting he probably held with players to tell them he was leaving? Maybe she said, "Coach, would it be okay if after I talk to my parents about it I reach out to you about maybe coming to Tennessee?"

In that type of scenario, what is a coach in that position supposed to do? Say "No, do not contact me" ...??? In that scenario both parties would need approxinately 72 hours (lol) to talk to parents and new bosses to see if everyone agrees the fit would be right before then marking the portal status as "do not contact."

There. All worked out now. lol

Decision on who to take in the portal has changed. It won't matter going forward if it is all seniors because there is no guarantee that anyone will stay even an underclassmen. It is going to be a build from nothing most of the time going forward. What used to be the transfer portal no longer exists real soon. Now we have a 365 days a year transfer portal. I don't mind NIL, but would be nice to have a little structure in college sports like after you sign with a team you had to stay there a couple of years. After what the NCAA decided to do yesterday I say your best bet is to take the five best players you can get regardless of how many years they have to play.

So Nye, King, Spearman, and Latham look like an excellent four to take. Unless you can get one of the bigger stars or one of the two big names supposed to be going into the portal. Thing is you get these four then we got three or four on our team right now that may be bench warmers next season cause all four of these players should get a lot of playing time or even start. I hope we get all four it makes our team a lot better and if it makes anyone leave we can go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back