2024 Transfer Portal

I made a decision to mostly stay out of this discussion. I am neutral. I can speak from a perspective of working in the field of education and coaching for several years as a now licensed administrator. There is a high possibility of a thorough end of the year evaluation of the WBB program being conducted. A formal meeting either has taken place or will at any moment. The AD will address the season performance in house and present a list of recommendations if no change is coming. I will admit the silence is uncommon territory since I have watched Tennessee. It could be the TN athletic administration not being completely pleased with the perception of NIL or the lack thereof for women’s basketball. I do not buy that NIL is the main factor to signing portal or high school players. Rickea, Jewel, Talaysia Cooper, Kaniya Boyd, Tamari and future commits Finley and Nyla had offers from other universities that would have just outbid Tennessee if that is the case. I also think recruiting is not the main issue to people with knowledge of the program from the inside. Being in the field of education I know that a program like Tennessee recruits itself and we have to be honest with ourselves to get past this assumption that NIL now or in the future is why a program like Tennessee fell short of winning another championship.

You may be in the field of education but your perspective is at odds with just about everyone else in college athletics who emphasize that NIL is the driving factor in recruiting. In his introductory press conference, Kenny Brooks said the first step to getting KY to an elite level is catching up in the NIL game.

And, you really don;'t know that a program like Tennessee "recruits itself" and since recruiting has been a struggle, the evidence in fact points to the contrary. The problem is not that the LVs can't compete on selected targets; the problem is that they can't sign enough elite recruits to compete with elite schools who bring in 3 or 4 elite players each season.

I am excited about Boyd but she was not a top 15 ranked recruit (she was #34) so the NIL bidding wars were probably not that intense.

You may be in the field of education but your perspective is at odds with just about everyone else in college athletics who emphasize that NIL is the driving factor in recruiting. In his introductory press conference, Kenny Brooks said the first step to getting KY to an elite level is catching up in the NIL game.

And, you really don;'t know that a program like Tennessee "recruits itself" and since recruiting has been a struggle, the evidence in fact points to the contrary. The problem is not that the LVs can't compete on selected targets; the problem is that they can't sign enough elite recruits to compete with elite schools who bring in 3 or 4 elite players each season.

I am excited about Boyd but she was not a top 15 ranked recruit (she was #34) so the NIL bidding wars were probably not that intense.

Not true. Every recruit in the Top 50 now is being bargain with NIL deals. Simple as that. You’re missing the point Mad. There is a way to secure a commitment from recruits without NIL being the deciding factor. Do we seriously think Rickea, Jewel, Talaysia, Tamari, and Boyd did not have coaches and representatives from other schools that have tried to make deals to get them to transfer or outbid Tennessee? Playing time and a primary role is certainly as valuable to a player as NIL. Kaniya Boyd was #29 when she committed to Tennessee. At one point she was ranked #25 ahead of Imari Berry and Kayleigh Heckel. Both players everyone on here has used NIL to prove the reason for them signing elsewhere. Boyd had dozens of D1 offers. You are simply misguided if you think Florida State, UTAH, UNLV, and Texas A&M were not seriously recruiting Boyd. She fits every one of those programs and was going to be a great addition to their team. And as I said, entering her junior year she was initially rated higher than prospects Heckel, Berry, and is still rated higher than Blue, Preston, and Bloom who have been mentioned on here as reasons Tennessee is losing recruits to NIL.

Last edited:
Not true. Every recruit in the Top 50 now is being bargain with NIL deals. Simple as that. You’re missing the point Mad. There is a way to secure a commitment from recruits without NIL being the deciding factor. Do we seriously think Rickea, Jewel, Talaysia, Tamari, and Boyd did not have coaches and representatives from other schools that have tried to make deals to get them to transfer or outbid Tennessee? Playing time and a primary role is certainly as valuable to a player as NIL. Kaniya Boyd was #25 when she committed to Tennessee. At one point ahead of Imari Berry and Kayleigh Heckel. Both players everyone on here has used NIL to prove the reason for them signing elsewhere. Boyd had dozens of D1 offers. You are simply misguided if you think Florida State, UTAH, UNLV, and Texas A&M were not seriously recruiting Boyd. She fits every one of those programs and was going to be a great addition to their team. And as I said, entering her junior year she was initially rated higher than prospects Heckel, Berry, and is still rated higher than Blue, Preston, and Bloom who have been mentioned on here as reasons Tennessee is losing recruits to NIL.

Well, nothing you said alters actuallt counters anything in my post. The LVs have done well in the transfer portal and they have been able to rally NIL but it is again a volume game. How many top 10 recruiting class has Kellie had? Top 15? top 20?

The evidence is not that Tennessee recruits itself but that it can gather enough NIL to grab a few good players. That status quo that has hamstrung Kellie and any new coach (if there is one) will want ironclad assurances that NIL $ is going to be flowing more freely. Earlvol has posed that such a funding shift is coming.

You are free to believe that Tennessee recruits itself. I beg to differ.

Well, nothing you said alters actuallt counters anything in my post. The LVs have done well in the transfer portal and they have been able to rally NIL but it is again a volume game. How many top 10 recruiting class has Kellie had? Top 15? top 20?

The evidence is not that Tennessee recruits itself but that it can gather enough NIL to grab a few good players. That status quo that has hamstrung Kellie and any new coach (if there is one) will want ironclad assurances that NIL $ is going to be flowing more freely. Earlvol has posed that such a funding shift is coming.

You are free to believe that Tennessee recruits itself. I beg to differ.

The point stands. Tennessee athletic administration has in fact conducted a thorough end of the year performance evaluation of the women’s basketball program. The silence is unparalleled to any I have observed as a supporter. I will not speculate on the outcome. I will present the fact that in 2023-2024 Jewel Spear, Kaniya Boyd, and Talaysia Cooper had offers from many of the top D1 schools including PAC-12, Big 12, ACC, and SEC powers. None of us truly know what they were offered or what was the primary factor in their decision. Hence, Tennessee recruits itself.

I don't think people realize just how quickly the NIL thing snowballed. Two years ago when RJ came to Tennessee it was still in its infancy, and Tennessee had been thought -- for a VERY short time -- to be a leader in the new reality. But within just a few months everything blew up and the next thing ya know Tennessee's early jump ended up inadvertently resulting, it appears, in UT kinda getting left behind a bit in some respects.

This is all still really new, and it is moving so fast that entities trying super hard to play by the rules when maybe others aren't, are looking suddenly out of touch.

Just my observation.

The point stands. Tennessee athletic administration has in fact conducted a thorough end of the year performance evaluation of the women’s basketball program. The silence is unparalleled to any I have observed as a supporter. I will not speculate on the outcome. I will present the fact that in 2023-2024 Jewel Spear, Kaniya Boyd, and Talaysia Cooper had offers from many of the top D1 schools including PAC-12, Big 12, ACC, and SEC powers. None of us truly know what they were offered or what was the primary factor in their decision. Hence, Tennessee recruits itself.
Just a little cold water on the fire her on Monday crowd. I would think DW has traveled with the men’s team and will remain there unless they lose tonight. Also with both teams in the tournament until a couple of days ago, boosters to baby etc. do we think he has had time to do his year end with Kellie? Maybe but I don’t think he’s rushing back to fire Kellie and lose players and commits as soon as possible.

Just a little cold water on the fire her on Monday crowd. I would think DW has traveled with the men’s team and will remain there unless they lose tonight. Also with both teams in the tournament until a couple of days ago, boosters to baby etc. do we think he has had time to do his year end with Kellie? Maybe but I don’t think he’s rushing back to fire Kellie and lose players and commits as soon as possible.

Technology is the way of the world now. Meetings are conducted online. It does not have to be face to face. A coach was recently fired before she could even get done with her post game interview.
I do not understand either side of this Tennessee situation to be honest. I do know that this year recruiting was not the issue. Injuries affected the team. There were some questionable coaching decisions made. So questionable decisions on the court. All programs go through similar situations. Tennessee just never got over the hump. As I stated, I am neutral. The athletic administration has insight into all these components which we will eventually have a better understanding of following the evaluation of the program and recommendations presented. This season NIL and recruiting were not relevant to the outcome of Tennessee season.

Technology is the way of the world now. Meetings are conducted online. It does not have to be face to face. A coach was recently fired before she could even get done with her post game interview.
I do not understand either side of this Tennessee situation to be honest. I do know that this year recruiting was not the issue. Injuries affected the team. There were some questionable coaching decisions made. So questionable decisions on the court. All programs go through similar situations. Tennessee just never got over the hump. As I stated, I am neutral. The athletic administration has insight into all these components which we will eventually have a better understanding of following the evaluation of the program and recommendations presented. This season NIL and recruiting were not relevant to the outcome of Tennessee season.
Whatever the reason is that we didn’t have a better roster, that’s the reason we are home now.

LMAO if you think Kellie would be fired on a Zoom call. If that happens DP should immediately fire DW’s butt for numerous reasons.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
LMAO if you think Kellie would be fired on a Zoom call. If that happens DP should immediately fire DW’s butt for numerous reasons.

How do you think the coach that was fired prior to her post game interview received the notice? Again, sometimes people let feelings guide them to a false sense of reality. I’m not saying one way or another what will be the outcome. I do not even know why you are talking to me about firing a coach. I never suggested it.

If you think any AD would fire a coach over a Zoom… his career would be over

How do you think the coach that was fired prior to her post game interview received the notice? Again, sometimes people let feelings guide them to a false sense of reality. I’m not saying one way or another what will be the outcome. I do not even know why you are talking to me about firing a coach. I never suggested it.
The AD was at the game… also…. EVERYONE FOOKING HATES THAT AD

Good lord! That was the point of your whole first paragraph!
I know we have posters who struggle with reading comprehension but they normally have a grasp on what they typed!
Also, the AD who fired that coach before the press conference should be gone as well. Talk about unprofessional!!
VXX?

Reactions: VolFuture
I know we have posters who struggle with reading comprehension but they normally have a grasp on what they typed!
Also, the AD who fired that coach before the press conference should be gone as well. Talk about unprofessional!!
VXX?
It is concerning we aren't seeing any portal moves from the Lady Vols...

VXX?

I comprehend that you are not making clear sense of the posts. I gave an example of how a coach was fired based on an off based statement you made about a firing team of posters that quoted me, while implying that the AD has not spoke with the coach due to being unable to meet directly. After I have made clear I am neutral. But to say an AD that has built a strong reputation, established clear support from the entire fanbase, and leverage of the program would be restricted in any way they see fit to relieve a coach is just a childish thought.

I comprehend that you are not making clear sense of the posts. I gave an example of how a coach was fired based on an off based statement you made about a firing team of posters that quoted me. After I have made clear I am neutral. But to say an AD that has built a strong reputation, established clear support from the entire fanbase, and leverage of the program would be restricted in any way they see fit to relieve a coach fit is just a childish thought.
So which transfer is this?

VN Store

Back