2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I think so. Seems to me the longer it goes the better, because the whole reason it was going to be delayed was he wanted time to go through the full NBA draft experience. If it was about NIL $ or guarantees then I'd assume he would have picked elsewhere once those were on the table.

Not disagreeing with you but read an article this AM on another site that KY is making a full court press on him and he is listening. They got $.

Predictably lame response. Indentured servants? Ha, ha: they're college students, not medieval farmers. You want to compare college students to college presidents, TV executives and coaches who've had private-sector careers for 20, 30 years? Also comical. Apples and oranges. What we've got now is stupid--not even the pros operate like this. Anybody who thinks this is the way college sports should function--coaches and cooperatives having to scramble to buy upwards of a half-dozen new players every year, 20-team conferences, west-coach teams flying across the country multiple times to play a regular season volleyball, baseball or football games--is insane. The real problem with college sports is the crazy P4 fans for whom college football/basketball games are of life-or-death importance. Not for me. It's all spun absurdly out of control--and, no, a few weird judicial decisions haven't helped.

I don't necessarily disagree with you from a long time college sports fan point of view, but you guys are framing this argument as all or nothing, like it's either the way it was with media companies, universities, college administrators, and coaches raking in millions while the kids got their scholarships and had limited mobility, or the wild west scenario that we see today.

College sports has been very big business with the players being the attraction for 30+ years now, and the NCAA and schools knew what was going on and enriched themselves while maintaining the "student-athlete" facade. If they had been less greedy and a bit more forward thinking, a system of sharing the wealth might have been established that headed off the tsunami we are seeing now.

Doing so might have prevented the awful "one and done" trend because there would have been incentive for kids to stay in college and grow as people and players before entering the draft, many whose careers were stunted due to not being ready for the jump but for whom the lure of that payday superseded any other factors. A sane revenue sharing plan and some transfer portal guardrails would have maintained the health of college sports and possibly avoided the free for all we are witnessing.

As far as conference "realignment" and the crazy travel schedules even for non-revenue sports and teams needing to re-recruit their own players 24-7-365, we are on the same page. The greed and corruption of the NCAA and schools is what is at fault for this current state of affairs, and unfortunately it is highly unlikely to go back to anything resembling what we had.

I think so. Seems to me the longer it goes the better, because the whole reason it was going to be delayed was he wanted time to go through the full NBA draft experience. If it was about NIL $ or guarantees then I'd assume he would have picked elsewhere once those were on the table.
Hopefully, the young man and his family are weighing other criteria besides NIL. Based on his performance, he has earned the right to be coveted. I think playing for Coach Barnes and staff would only improve upon and broaden his skill set. But, admittedly, I am biased. Go Vols!

Coaches know where their paychecks come from. Without all the money provided to the schools from these networks for the TV deals they wouldn’t be getting paid so handsomely. In turn, you are suppose to make yourself available to media as a thank you for all their money they are giving you. Unless a reporter is making a question personal then coaches have no right to act like a jackass towards them. If you don’t want to be asked questions then don’t be a college or professional coach. And you know what? The road goes both ways. If that female reporter is tired of being singled out and feels Corbin is being sexist then she can start writing negativity about him and then he will really have a problem on his hands. It’s not that hard to be cordial with them.

I don't necessarily disagree with you from a long time college sports fan point of view, but you guys are framing this argument as all or nothing, like it's either the way it was with media companies, universities, college administrators, and coaches raking in millions while the kids got their scholarships and had limited mobility, or the wild west scenario that we see today.

College sports has been very big business with the players being the attraction for 30+ years now, and the NCAA and schools knew what was going on and enriched themselves while maintaining the "student-athlete" facade. If they had been less greedy and a bit more forward thinking, a system of sharing the wealth might have been established that headed off the tsunami we are seeing now.

Doing so might have prevented the awful "one and done" trend because there would have been incentive for kids to stay in college and grow as people and players before entering the draft, many whose careers were stunted due to not being ready for the jump but for whom the lure of that payday superseded any other factors. A sane revenue sharing plan and some transfer portal guardrails would have maintained the health of college sports and possibly avoided the free for all we are witnessing.

As far as conference "realignment" and the crazy travel schedules even for non-revenue sports and teams needing to re-recruit their own players 24-7-365, we are on the same page. The greed and corruption of the NCAA and schools is what is at fault for this current state of affairs, and unfortunately it is highly unlikely to go back to anything resembling what we had.
Just for clarification, there are 130 FBS PROGRAMS, 130 FCS programs, 160 Division 2 programs, and 240 Division 3 programs.

what % of those were greedy and stockpiled money due the NIL worthy players?

The only positive I can see is the possible creation of a professional division, removing the players from the TITLE IX calculation and reducing the cost of funding total amateur Departments.

I'm no talent scout, but in the videos I've seen, I don't see the handle or the quickness for the point. Square peg, round hole to my eye
He's definitely not in the ZZ mold. In fact, I see some BJ Edwards in him, and we know how that worked out. I think Boswell is a better athlete than Edwards, but there are some similarities.

Lanier score 4 in G league game today on 2 of 4 shooting. He looked good, but he didn’t turn the world upside down. I don’t see much chance that he’ll stay in the draft. Boogie Ellis was incredible. I didn’t see anyone else who woke up the scouts.
Remember watching boogie when Tennessee played him in the Bahamas. Dude was a problem. USC wasted his talent

Lanier score 4 in G league game today on 2 of 4 shooting. He looked good, but he didn’t turn the world upside down. I don’t see much chance that he’ll stay in the draft. Boogie Ellis was incredible. I didn’t see anyone else who woke up the scouts.
Didn't watch but sounded like Estrada from Bama looked good

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles
Predictably lame response. Indentured servants? Ha, ha: they're college students, not medieval farmers. You want to compare college students to college presidents, TV executives and coaches who've had private-sector careers for 20, 30 years? Also comical. Apples and oranges. What we've got now is stupid--not even the pros operate like this. Anybody who thinks this is the way college sports should function--coaches and cooperatives having to scramble to buy upwards of a half-dozen new players every year, 20-team conferences, west-coach teams flying across the country multiple times to play a regular season volleyball, baseball or football games--is insane. The real problem with college sports is the crazy P4 fans for whom college football/basketball games are of life-or-death importance. Not for me. It's all spun absurdly out of control--and, no, a few weird judicial decisions haven't helped.
The fact you don't understand that was essentially the former model shows either your delusion or ignorance on this topic...maybe this will help:

1715513394554.png

Now maybe you can see the parallels and understand how asinine the former system you seem to love so much was corrupt and illegal and you will stop pining for the days of old.

And its cute you seem to think the University Presidents, coaches, trainers would be making the same money without the student-athletes. Bottom line...they are all earning far more than the players are who are doing the work everyone is paying for. The fact you continue trying to argue otherwise when ALL the empirical evidence says otherwise shows you are being irrational on this topic.

Oh, and just to be clear, I'm not happy with how things are but it was inevitable to anyone who has a basic understanding of Civics and it will get better but we need the NCAA to be completely revamped (or better yet destroyed) and universities will have to adopt fair labor practices and stop colluding.

Last edited:
A 9-0 Supreme Court decision (Alston) is not “weird”. It is an overwhelmingly clear message from a deeply divided Court. Judge Corker in Greeneville merely followed that precedent.
This seems to all be very emotion-based responses from him on this topic.

Unless something happens, Lanier isn't coming. He wants a million to play and UT isn't gonna pay that. Aidoo got $1.2 from Arkansas. Right now, we are not gonna pay that much for guys.

Unless something happens, Lanier isn't coming. He wants a million to play and UT isn't gonna pay that. Aidoo got $1.2 from Arkansas. Right now, we are not gonna pay that much for guys.
How do you know these amounts as this information seems to be top secret across college basketball? Can you tell us what our players are getting?

How do you know these amounts as this information seems to be top secret across college basketball? Can you tell us what our players are getting?
A young man that works for one of the websites in the Nashville area put together as much information as he could gather from a handful of message boards, bleacher report, and some of the supposed basketball recruiting "experts" on rumored NIL deals for committed and signed players to see what he could derive. It became a joke awfully quick so it is useless, but here is what he calculated from the supposed "insiders":

Kentucky $7M
Tennessee $10M
Arkansas $11M
Duke $11M
Louisville $12M
Baylor $14M

Obviously It appears that many professional college sports fan's coping method for losing a desired player is that the other school is paying BIG dollars to the player and we are just too smart and upstanding to overpay like them. Overpaying for NIL deals has replaced the cheating accusations. And some of the recruiting experts are looking for clicks.

VN Store

Back