2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I don't think the staff has put all their eggs in one basket.

Carr didn't enroll until July 12th.
Awaka didn't commit until May 17th and wasn't enrolled until July 1st.
DJ Jefferson didn't commit until May 20th, and wasn't enrolled until July 1st.
BJ Edwards didn't enroll until July 1st.
Julian Phillips didn't commit until May 12th, and wasn't enrolled until July 1st.
ZZ commits August 27th and enrolls August 31st, didn't miss a game in year 1 either.

Lanier isn't the last addition this class, the staff is just doing a very good job of keeping things from leaking.

I don't think the staff has put all their eggs in one basket.

Carr didn't enroll until July 12th.
Awaka didn't commit until May 17th and wasn't enrolled until July 1st.
DJ Jefferson didn't commit until May 20th, and wasn't enrolled until July 1st.
BJ Edwards didn't enroll until July 1st.
Julian Phillips didn't commit until May 12th, and wasn't enrolled until July 1st.
ZZ commits August 27th and enrolls August 31st, didn't miss a game in year 1 either.

Lanier isn't the last addition this class, the staff is just doing a very good job of keeping things from leaking.
You must be mistaken. Basilly-o apparently gets the scoop from any and everyone on the hill. He knows before Barnes does.

Last edited:
So does everyone think we land Chaz?

I think so. Seems to me the longer it goes the better, because the whole reason it was going to be delayed was he wanted time to go through the full NBA draft experience. If it was about NIL $ or guarantees then I'd assume he would have picked elsewhere once those were on the table.

I will say this, if someone had me on a 2.5 hour zoom call there is zero chance I’d even consider them. That sounds like torture.

My former job required me to participate in BNI which is a business networking association with local chapters that regularly had 2+ hour Zoom meetings weekly at 7am.

It sucked but went by quicker than you would expect even though each person only got 10-15 minutes of speaking time. You would be surprised at how quickly a Zoom meeting goes when you are actually having more direct interaction.

So does everyone think we land Chaz?
Yes. One of the best teachers as coach, who also seems like an outstanding man and trustworthy. Barnes will teach you, he will be direct and honest with you, and he is proven to put a winning team together. If what some of the posters here have said about Lanier is true, then everything points to him being on this team next season.

Yes. One of the best teachers as coach, who also seems like an outstanding man and trustworthy. Barnes will teach you, he will be direct and honest with you, and he is proven to put a winning team together. If what some of the posters here have said about Lanier is true, then everything points to him being on this team next season.
It is for these very reasons that Igor is now a Vol

Most of the Illinois fans think he is a traditional PG that lacks athleticism and strength. Says he’s a good shooter, decent handle, and plays with nice pace and creativity.

Most of them think he should transfer down to a lower conference.

From what I read, he seems like a Vescovi

I will take a multiple year starter, career double digit scorer, great defender who set the all time UT record for steals and was all-SEC for 2 years.... yes please.

But I don't see that level of player.

Makes sense. The sport has got crazy and stupid and corrupt. Everybody buying four new players every year, sometimes more. NIL
is to blame. Original concept of NIL was fine, but that's not what we've got. The irony is that no decent player stays at a program long
enough for legit NIL to kick in. Who's going to buy merch for one-and-done's? Maybe a small number of crazy fans---but NIL is now
just a cover to buy players, as we see. And it's making a mockery of high-school recruiting. You go to all the trouble to recruit a kid
and, as Cal says, develop a kid--and he's going to leave after a year, two at most, either because he's not playing enough or because
he can get money elsewhere. The pros don't operate in this idiotic manner.
We are all well aware of your affinity for the good 'ol days where no players (or their parents, coaches, etc...) were ever corrupted with money and the players were held captive as indentured servants with very few rights as University Presidents and sports media clutched at their pearls about the sanctity of the "student athlete" all while enriching themselves hundreds of times over to what the players ever rec'd.

LMAO

You can stop gaslighting us now.

Last edited:
I’m just not sure Boswell is really a PG.
That has long been my concern. But then I go back to watch his game highlights, and he makes just enough facilitating plays that give you hope that he could maybe do it if he focused solely on being a facilitator rather than the primary option. He is definitely a combo guard rather than a pure PG though.

That has long been my concern. But then I go back to watch his game highlights, and he makes just enough facilitating plays that give you hope that he could maybe do it if he focused solely on being a facilitator rather than the primary option. He is definitely a combo guard rather than a pure PG though.
If Barnes thinks he can be his PG in 25-26, I’ll trust Barnes. The man knows PGs. But I don’t know that Barnes thinks that.

We are all well aware of your affinity for the good 'ol days where no players (or their parents, coaches, etc...) were ever corrupted with money and the players were held captive as indentured servants with very few rights as University Presidents and sports media clutched at their pearls about the sanctity of the "student athlete" all while enriching themselves hundreds of times over to what the players ever rec'd.

LMAO

You can stop gaslighting us now.

Predictably lame response. Indentured servants? Ha, ha: they're college students, not medieval farmers. You want to compare college students to college presidents, TV executives and coaches who've had private-sector careers for 20, 30 years? Also comical. Apples and oranges. What we've got now is stupid--not even the pros operate like this. Anybody who thinks this is the way college sports should function--coaches and cooperatives having to scramble to buy upwards of a half-dozen new players every year, 20-team conferences, west-coach teams flying across the country multiple times to play a regular season volleyball, baseball or football games--is insane. The real problem with college sports is the crazy P4 fans for whom college football/basketball games are of life-or-death importance. Not for me. It's all spun absurdly out of control--and, no, a few weird judicial decisions haven't helped.

I'm no talent scout, but in the videos I've seen, I don't see the handle or the quickness for the point. Square peg, round hole to my eye

VN Store

Back