2024 Transfer Portal Thread

We currently have 1 scholly guy thats a post, Estrella and the other 2 are transfers. Phillips is 197 pounds..of the transfers in Okpara is a slightly smaller Aidoo, Dubar is a tall 2/3, Milicic is a stretch 4. So we have 2.5 true post players Estrella, Okpara and Milicic..which pretty much leaves us in a similar post situation as far as depth as last year. We have 3 guys and after that we are playing guards and PF and center. IF you look at Okpara and Milicic's game logs from last season look at the PF section they are both foul prone. In games where they played high d1 schools Milicic got shut down probably because of double teams. I think both of them will be good players here.. the problem is whats behind them? We still have some slots I am hoping we bring in at least 2 other guys that can play in the post so we are not playing guards out of position for long stretches. We can win 25-30 games with those guys but come tourney time the game becomes a halfcourt game. How many teams in the elite 8 were playing small ball? The answer is 1 UT. Every team in the final 4 had at least 3 legit post players in their 8-9 man rotation. UT had 2 anytime Estrella or Philips got PT it was because Awaka or Aidoo were out or in foul trouble.

Realistically our 3rd post player was JJJ. He did an amazing job but we were outmatched anytime we came against teams that could establish an inside game. When your second and 3rd leading rebounders are guards. You only have 2 guys over 6'6 in the top 9 in rebounding something is wrong. Cade Phillips outrebounded J.P. Estrella last season....marinate on that all 197 pounds of him

But honestly that's not the real point or question. The real one is why has UT historically had issues recruiting depth at post? It's Rare we even see a 7 footer signed we always get the 6'9 210 pound try-hards that have to grow into it. Plasvic averaged 14 mins a game and had a huge impact on the season only playing that much. Vincent Alexander going down changed the whole tournament run that season. Imagine how lets imagine if Uros stayed last season, or BHH or ORN never transferred how that changes the whole conversation. Neither of them even had to be all SEC just exist to play 10 or so minutes. I honestly think we have been 10 minutes a game in the post away from a perennial final 4 team.
You are correct, historically we haven't been very strong at Center. Nowadays, it is less critical however given how many teams are spreading the court. I'm a fan of having at least one stud in the post regardless of how tall they are, because when you really need a bucket, usually a much higher % in the paint. If you look at the NCAA champions over the past decade you aren't going to find many who had stud 7'footers. Jahil Okafor may be the best post on a championship team in the last decade and he is 6'10. You will find a bunch of 6'9 to 6'10 post players who were rock solid on championship teams.

Considering our best center ever (and I don't think it is even close) was 6'9 Reggie Johnson way back in the mid/late 70's says alot. Hard to find. One the best 7'footers we had was Steve Hamer and we were under .500 both his Junior and Senior year. I think the case could be made that since 1975, Jonas Aidoo may have been one of top 5 Centers we have had despite his flaws. Guys like Jarnell Stokes, Wayne Chism, Howard Wood....etc....were all good but only 6'7 to 6'9. Tom Boerwinkle was a big man for UT but that was before my time. There was a reason Plavsic only played 14 minutes per game. He had his moments bringing energy off the bench, but he probably would have fouled out in 5 minutes against Edey. UT has had very good recent success under Barnes. Our primary issues ultimately have been not enough players who can get a bucket when it matters. We have to improve our offensive balance and need more dudes who can create for themselves and have the mental fortitude to take tough shots when pressure mounts.

Based on current '24 roster, UT will be good once again and be competitive, but I don't think we have a primary "go to" scorer nor a post offensive player. At this point Dubar has the best resume to be our leading scorer next year. But , we could have a number of double figure scorers...Dubar, Milisic, Zeigler, Mashack, Gainey or Carr. Kinda like the '22-'23 season.

the NBA is positionless. College still can be dominated by old school dominant centers. Exhibit 1 Zach Edey. He will probably be an OK NBA player even fringe all-star IF he goes to a team that accepts his playstyle. In college, he was literally the most dominant player we have seen for a long time in the modern game....You cant teach size and if you find size along with just enough footspeed, coordination and conditioning magical things happen.

In college, one big freak of nature can change the whole game. You could take the last man on the bench from 13 random NBA teams that would destroy any college team. The 6'9 center in the NBA is a freak of nature... the one in college is some skinny kid they stuffed a few burgers in to bulk him up. Look at Tacko Fall who lead UCF to their first-ever NCAA tourney win and couldn't even hack it in the G-league. The NBA and college are different sports altogether. But for like the the time my point is about whats behind the starters... and we have the same thing we had last year nothing thus far. JJJ had his best statistical year at UT playing wildly out of position.

For the year at the 4 and 5 that's 80 minutes a game JJJ, Awaka and Aidoo averaged 67 together that means we got 13 mins from other players at those positions. If those 13 mins had been Uros we win 30 games and advance to at least the final 4. Its not about the starters its about the backups..
Understand the point you are trying to make but we had Plavsic for 3 years prior to that and we got bumped in the 1st round, 2nd round and the Sweet 16. We get to the Final Four this year if the supporting cast around DK would have shot better than 32% from the field. It is as simple as that. DK made 14 buckets and the rest of the team made 10.

Edey is a generational player at 7’4.” There aren’t many of those around. Fall didn’t have his strength, and Fall had 2 teammates who averaged 16 points per game, shooting 37% and 40% from 3.

I think JJJ playing the 4 was good for our team. We could spread it, and he could shoot the 3.

Villanova won one title with one 6’11” player. 4 others averaged at least 10 points, and all were 6’6” or shorter. They won another title with no player taller than 6’9.” They could space and shoot.

As I said, you need some length and height, but I think shot-making is the bigger necessity. If Jonas Aidoo plays Purdue like he’d played most of the season, we probably beat them.
I just don't see Edey as a generational player. If other players got his whistle, or lack thereof, they would be called "generational" as well.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Basketball is different today, and it is more of a position-less game. You certainly need length and height but not like you used to.

I’m just trying to figure out your statement about the Final Four teams. Just off the top of my head, after Edey, Purdue only had Kaufman-Renn who significantly contributed at 6’9.” They didn’t have 3. Alabama had Nelson at 6’10,” and Pringle at 6’9. That was about it. Walters and Stephenson had height but aren’t post players, and frankly, didn’t contribute enough consistently to matter.
Apparently if you’re not 7’ you’re not a post player according to him 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: GenRRN and SoilVol
Will this make it more tempting for him to go pro?
I would imagine that G league is far less attractive with NIL $$ pouring in. It seems like a league that’s destined to be made up of kids who aren’t college material, ones that are willing to bet on themselves, and maybe a few who entered their names in the portal but aren’t picked up.

Reactions: spyfish007
So what’s everyone’s feeling on getting Chaz?
I’m curious as well. I’d like to be educated by others here as to what has led to the presumption that we are the team to beat in landing Lanier. Really I only know that he is from Nashville, what else is out there? I know we are to my knowledge the only school to receive a Crystal Ball for him, is that correct? I just wonder what that’s based on other than his being from Tennessee. Has he taken any official visits here? Is he permitted to take official visits while also being a declarant for the NBA draft? Has he posted anything on social media to suggest he’s all in on Tennessee? I did read he follows 2 of our assistants on X if that’s correct. I’ve also heard some fans describe him as “a lock” for the Vols, but if true, the list of other programs out there who are looking to poach isn’t short, and it apparently includes the likes of Duke and Kentucky. Anyway, please catch us up with anything you know.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I’m curious as well. I’d like to be educated by others here as to what has led to the presumption that we are the team to beat in landing Lanier. Really I only know that he is from Nashville, what else is out there? I know we are to my knowledge the only school to receive a Crystal Ball for him, is that correct? I just wonder what that’s based on other than his being from Tennessee. Has he taken any official visits here? Is he permitted to take official visits while also being a declarant for the NBA draft? Has he posted anything on social media to suggest he’s all in on Tennessee? I did read he follows 2 of our assistants on X if that’s correct. I’ve also heard some fans describe him as “a lock” for the Vols, but if true, the list of other programs out there who are looking to poach isn’t short, and it apparently includes the likes of Duke and Kentucky. Anyway, please catch us up with anything you know.
You should prolly read this thread.

From Basilio this morning:

Latest On Chaz Lanier:
He's zooming with some different teams which doesn't make me nervous in the least. What does make me nervous is that he's going to the G League combine. Meanwhile Tennessee and its fan base is in a wait and see mode. I'm operating under the assumption that Lanier eventually ends up here. Lanier allegedly zoomed with BYU though I can't confirm that. Also he's been linked to Kentucky but Kentucky is chasing at least 2 other similar players (Jaxson Robinson Ark & A&M BYU & Jaylen Wells Washington State). It makes sense from Lanier's side to try and drive up demand ahead of next week's visit. What concerns me is that maybe he decides to play in the G League. Though with NIL that seems like an absolute non-starter. A player of Lanier's caliber could score north of $500,000. Not too shabby to play some college basketball.

Ben Hammond Recruitment Behind The Scenes:
Tennessee moved on from Hammond and decided to not visit him which turned into a win for Mike Young at Va Tech. This guy is a really nice player and a winner. I'll bet he has a good run there. Tennessee was conflicted on Hammond behind the scenes. The staff reached an impasse as to whether to take him or not. Ultimately, they decided not to have two point guards in the same class. The prevailing thought that won the room is that bringing in two freshman point guards would've surely meant one was going to transfer. So get ready for the Bishop Boswell era. And yes that kid comes from means with a name like that and has a private school background to prove it. Boswell projects early to be more of an athlete than a true point guard. Bishop Boswell is an all-time name and he's a top 100 player.

What Do Vols Do For Immediate Backup Point Guard Help:
Now the question becomes ... Does Tennessee add a transfer point guard for next season? I think it's possible. Ques Glover (Florida & Samford and most recently Kansas State) is a name bouncing around. There was another guy that ended up at Utah that fit the profile of what they were seeking. Remember the portal closed on May 1st with the caveat that if you're in the portal and don't enroll you can re enter. So there could be somebody out there that was in the portal but has committed elsewhere that could go back in. The portal is a complete mess ... So this makes as much sense as anything. Long and short is that we know Tennessee wants to add a point guard to defray the wear and tear on ZZ..Will they?

I just don't see Edey as a generational player. If other players got his whistle, or lack thereof, they would be called "generational" as well.
Agreed. Not even close to being that type of player. If fans today could have watched a young Alcindor, Russell or Chamberlain, they'd see what a totally crazy thing it is to call Edey a "generational" talent at center. I'd take any number of great centers over Edey. Moses, Robinson, Hakeem. Edey can't be mentioned in the same breath with any of those guys. He's a genetic abnormality, but that's his only real calling card. Make him a traditional 7' center and he's nothing special.

Agreed. Not even close to being that type of player. If fans today could have watched a young Alcindor, Russell or Chamberlain, they'd see what a totally crazy thing it is to call Edey a "generational" talent at center. I'd take any number of great centers over Edey. Moses, Robinson, Hakeem. Edey can't be mentioned in the same breath with any of those guys. He's a genetic abnormality, but that's his only real calling card. Make him a traditional 7' center and he's nothing special.

He won't get the same calls and non-calls in the NBA. The idea he's more than he is should die quickly.

He won't get the same calls and non-calls in the NBA. The idea he's more than he is should die quickly.
I haven't watched the NBA in forever, but I'd have to assume it's overflowing with great athletes. Not sure how a large statue like Edey would fit into how the NBA is played these days? Just don't see a position/fit for him. How does he function on defense in that league? Just don't see his game...if you want to call it that..translating to the next level.

I haven't watched the NBA in forever, but I'd have to assume it's overflowing with great athletes. Not sure how a large statue like Edey would fit into how the NBA is played these days? Just don't see a position/fit for him. How does he function on defense in that league? Just don't see his game...if you want to call it that..translating to the next level.
Agree. They play with so much pace and space that at most he’s a big curveball that you bring in off the bench in certain matchups. But even that would be asking a lot because a team would have to play totally differently in order to maximize him on offense and cover up for him on defense. Not many teams willing to run a separate system in order to maximize a bench player…

Reactions: CAVPUT
That's what I'm saying. He won't get the same officiating in the NBA that he's gotten in college. If he were truly a "generational" player, that shouldn't matter. But it will, because he's not a generational player. He's just a really tall guy that got the benefit of an unfair whistle.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Agree. They play with so much pace and space that at most he’s a big curveball that you bring in off the bench in certain matchups. But even that would be asking a lot because a team would have to play totally differently in order to maximize him on offense and cover up for him on defense. Not many teams willing to run a separate system in order to maximize a bench player…

Yeah. I can’t see how he fits the league any better than Boban. Single digit minutes guy his entire career.

You are correct, historically we haven't been very strong at Center. Nowadays, it is less critical however given how many teams are spreading the court. I'm a fan of having at least one stud in the post regardless of how tall they are, because when you really need a bucket, usually a much higher % in the paint. If you look at the NCAA champions over the past decade you aren't going to find many who had stud 7'footers. Jahil Okafor may be the best post on a championship team in the last decade and he is 6'10. You will find a bunch of 6'9 to 6'10 post players who were rock solid on championship teams.

Considering our best center ever (and I don't think it is even close) was 6'9 Reggie Johnson way back in the mid/late 70's says alot. Hard to find. One the best 7'footers we had was Steve Hamer and we were under .500 both his Junior and Senior year. I think the case could be made that since 1975, Jonas Aidoo may have been one of top 5 Centers we have had despite his flaws. Guys like Jarnell Stokes, Wayne Chism, Howard Wood....etc....were all good but only 6'7 to 6'9. Tom Boerwinkle was a big man for UT but that was before my time. There was a reason Plavsic only played 14 minutes per game. He had his moments bringing energy off the bench, but he probably would have fouled out in 5 minutes against Edey. UT has had very good recent success under Barnes. Our primary issues ultimately have been not enough players who can get a bucket when it matters. We have to improve our offensive balance and need more dudes who can create for themselves and have the mental fortitude to take tough shots when pressure mounts.

Based on current '24 roster, UT will be good once again and be competitive, but I don't think we have a primary "go to" scorer nor a post offensive player. At this point Dubar has the best resume to be our leading scorer next year. But , we could have a number of double figure scorers...Dubar, Milisic, Zeigler, Mashack, Gainey or Carr. Kinda like the '22-'23 season.
The idea that Uros would have stopped Edey is hilarious. Yeah, one more body to throw at him could have been slightly useful. Apparently Uros is like the dead rock star. The longer he's gone the bigger the legend grows.

Hmmmm I wonder if we go after Riley Kugel…

Reported yesterday that he may not be joining Kansas this off season now according to Self. (He never signed)

Only posting because Rod started following him last night as well.
Arnold Kegel's boy?

As long as he's been doing his exercises!

Reactions: TrippieRedd
From Basilio this morning:

Latest On Chaz Lanier:
He's zooming with some different teams which doesn't make me nervous in the least. What does make me nervous is that he's going to the G League combine. Meanwhile Tennessee and its fan base is in a wait and see mode. I'm operating under the assumption that Lanier eventually ends up here. Lanier allegedly zoomed with BYU though I can't confirm that. Also he's been linked to Kentucky but Kentucky is chasing at least 2 other similar players (Jaxson Robinson Ark & A&M BYU & Jaylen Wells Washington State). It makes sense from Lanier's side to try and drive up demand ahead of next week's visit. What concerns me is that maybe he decides to play in the G League. Though with NIL that seems like an absolute non-starter. A player of Lanier's caliber could score north of $500,000. Not too shabby to play some college basketball.

Ben Hammond Recruitment Behind The Scenes:
Tennessee moved on from Hammond and decided to not visit him which turned into a win for Mike Young at Va Tech. This guy is a really nice player and a winner. I'll bet he has a good run there. Tennessee was conflicted on Hammond behind the scenes. The staff reached an impasse as to whether to take him or not. Ultimately, they decided not to have two point guards in the same class. The prevailing thought that won the room is that bringing in two freshman point guards would've surely meant one was going to transfer. So get ready for the Bishop Boswell era. And yes that kid comes from means with a name like that and has a private school background to prove it. Boswell projects early to be more of an athlete than a true point guard. Bishop Boswell is an all-time name and he's a top 100 player.

What Do Vols Do For Immediate Backup Point Guard Help:
Now the question becomes ... Does Tennessee add a transfer point guard for next season? I think it's possible. Ques Glover (Florida & Samford and most recently Kansas State) is a name bouncing around. There was another guy that ended up at Utah that fit the profile of what they were seeking. Remember the portal closed on May 1st with the caveat that if you're in the portal and don't enroll you can re enter. So there could be somebody out there that was in the portal but has committed elsewhere that could go back in. The portal is a complete mess ... So this makes as much sense as anything. Long and short is that we know Tennessee wants to add a point guard to defray the wear and tear on ZZ..Will they?
What does he mean next weeks visit? In regards to Lanier?

Reactions: VOLED

VN Store

Back