2024 Transfer Portal Thread

SEC is loading up.

Alabama looks like the team to beat
We look like the next best team, especially with a 3 point shooter added next
Auburn and Florida have added nice talent to what were already strong rosters for next year

I am not as impressed with Kentucky's class as the national folks seem to be, but they have added some intriguing players in a short period of time
I doubt South Carolina will repeat last year's performance, but they added a couple of strong additions.

I am surprised that Arkansas still has less than half a team recruited. If the rumors of their NIL combined with Cal's recruiting are true, then this makes no sense.

Texas lost more than they added, I think

Missouri could go from winless to middle of the pack with Mitchell and company added

And I am missing some additions at Georgia and others as well.

SEC will be strong next year.

I didn’t say you, I said y’all, it was a broad generalization for those who are panicking. If you don’t feel you are included in that bunch then it wasn’t meant for you, again just a generalization on the topic you were mentioning.
Haven't seen a single person panic.

Would hurt if we miss out on Chaz.

Not really any other options. Guys like Watkins, Kadary, and Toppin would be nice, but not really positions of need.
Yep. What I just don't get is how you can put yourself in a position where Lanier holds all the cards? We're all in on him. If he asks for some insane amount, I suppose we just roll with the roster we currently have? Seems odd to have no options other than paying him what he wants or standing pat. Maybe we do have someone else on the line, and I'm just missing it.

Would hurt if we miss out on Chaz.

Not really any other options. Guys like Watkins, Kadary, and Toppin would be nice, but not really positions of need.
We need everything except wings. We need a backup PG. We need post players and we need a lead shooting guard. The only place we have good depth at, like every year, is wings. All my adult life we have had tons of wings and tweeners and very few 1s and 5s or even true 2s or 4s. We have had very few players that were prototypical for their position like maybe once a decade.

We need everything except wings. We need a backup PG. We need post players and we need a lead shooting guard. The only place we have good depth at, like every year, is wings. All my adult life we have had tons of wings and tweeners and very few 1s and 5s or even true 2s or 4s. We have had very few players that were prototypical for their position like maybe once a decade.
Chandler/ziegler were both prototypical pgs.

Vescovi and Gainey are pretty typical sgs.

Olivier was a pretty standard PF. So was Grant.

Uros and Aidoo and now Okpara are pretty standard issue centers.

I feel like we have had a ton of guys who fit the mold for their position. The only one I really remember playing out of position a ton was JJJ.

Yep. What I just don't get is how you can put yourself in a position where Lanier holds all the cards? We're all in on him. If he asks for some insane amount, I suppose we just roll with the roster we currently have? Seems odd to have no options other than paying him what he wants or standing pat. Maybe we do have someone else on the line, and I'm just missing it.
I love that we have a set guys we focus in on, but I do wish we would reach out to a few more guys each off season.

Reactions: oldaaucoach
Chandler/ziegler were both prototypical pgs.

Vescovi and Gainey are pretty typical sgs.

Olivier was a pretty standard PF. So was Grant.

Uros and Aidoo and now Okpara are pretty standard issue centers.

I feel like we have had a ton of guys who fit the mold for their position. The only one I really remember playing out of position a ton was JJJ.
I specified in my lifetime.... I am 49.....Aidoo and Grant were both very undersized for their position> Grant had a skillset that trancended that.. the issues with Aidoo and Awaka at the post were glaring anytime we played a team with a real big. Go back and look at EVERY loss we took last year.... Aidoo and/or Awaka were in serious foul trouble in all those games. Okpara looks like a poor mans Aidoo. ORN, Chandler, Uros, Santi, Gainey and ZZ are good examples all in a short span and with the exception of ZZ and Santi we got very limited contributions from the others. ORN and Chandler both left early, Uros was mostly a rah rah type of guy.

We have historically always played a lot of guys out of position from necessity especially at the post and PG. Had ZZ not come almost out of nowhere, very few expected him to contribute when he was recruited. No one saw him being what he is now except maybe him and Rick Barnes. Imagine if ZZ turned out like most of the PG's we have recruited the last decade who would have been running point after Chandler left? JJJ? Santi? We have recruited point guards but kinda been cursed they get hurt or transfer out. As far as post we have not had a starter at center in recent memory that was not undersized. Plasvic only averaged 11 mins a game in his UT career his peak year was 14 mins a game. Don't get it twisted I loved Uros and my post history proves I am a big fan of the guy. But the truth is the truth. I am trying really hard to remember the last time we had 1 a real center and 2 depth at the position. I do not think its a Barnes thing this has been UT for the past 20 years.

Since 2004 most years we didn't even roster a player over 6'9"
2004 Major Wingate, Brandon Crump
2005 Wingate
2006 none
2007 Brian Williams
2008 Williams
2009 Williams
2010 Williams
2011 Yemi Makojoula
2012 Yemi
2013 Rawane Ndiaye
2014 Tariq Owens, Dominic Woodson
2015 Kyle Alexander
2016 Alexander
2017 Alexander, Zach Kent
2018 Alexander, Kent
2019 Kent, Drew Pember, Uros
2020 Pember, Uros
2021 Aidoo,BHH, Uros
2022 Uros, Aidoo
2023 Aidoo, Estrella

So since 2004 UT has had exactly one 7 footer. In that same period we have had 5 guys over 6'9 that gave significant contributions.. Crump, Wingate, Alexander, Uros and Aidoo. Most of the rest of those guys either never played or transferred out fast. 11 of the 20 years we had 1 or less people over 6'9 and some of these guys were not even post players. Yes, you can have a starting center under 6'10 and win but when you have less than 3 guys on roster with size you're gonna have some serious issues. You have to at least have a few bodies for fouls against the teams out there that have big bodies. Just like in boxing there is a reason there are weight classes. a 6'9 (or even 6'11) 220lb guy is gonna have a lot of problems against someone 7 foot 240 those 20 pounds count for lot especially when you have access to major D1 strength training. There are exceptions to the rule from time to time but the rule stands.

I specified in my lifetime.... I am 49.....Aidoo and Grant were both very undersized for their position> Grant had a skillset that trancended that.. the issues with Aidoo and Awaka at the post were glaring anytime we played a team with a real big. Go back and look at EVERY loss we took last year.... Aidoo and/or Awaka were in serious foul trouble in all those games. Okpara looks like a poor mans Aidoo. ORN, Chandler, Uros, Santi, Gainey and ZZ are good examples all in a short span and with the exception of ZZ and Santi we got very limited contributions from the others. ORN and Chandler both left early, Uros was mostly a rah rah type of guy.

We have historically always played a lot of guys out of position from necessity especially at the post and PG. Had ZZ not come almost out of nowhere, very few expected him to contribute when he was recruited. No one saw him being what he is now except maybe him and Rick Barnes. Imagine if ZZ turned out like most of the PG's we have recruited the last decade who would have been running point after Chandler left? JJJ? Santi? We have recruited point guards but kinda been cursed they get hurt or transfer out. As far as post we have not had a starter at center in recent memory that was not undersized. Plasvic only averaged 11 mins a game in his UT career his peak year was 14 mins a game. Don't get it twisted I loved Uros and my post history proves I am a big fan of the guy. But the truth is the truth. I am trying really hard to remember the last time we had 1 a real center and 2 depth at the position. I do not think its a Barnes thing this has been UT for the past 20 years.

Since 2004 most years we didn't even roster a player over 6'9"
2004 Major Wingate, Brandon Crump
2005 Wingate
2006 none
2007 Brian Williams
2008 Williams
2009 Williams
2010 Williams
2011 Yemi Makojoula
2012 Yemi
2013 Rawane Ndiaye
2014 Tariq Owens, Dominic Woodson
2015 Kyle Alexander
2016 Alexander
2017 Alexander, Zach Kent
2018 Alexander, Kent
2019 Kent, Drew Pember, Uros
2020 Pember, Uros
2021 Aidoo,BHH, Uros
2022 Uros, Aidoo
2023 Aidoo, Estrella

So since 2004 UT has had exactly one 7 footer. In that same period we have had 5 guys over 6'9 that gave significant contributions.. Crump, Wingate, Alexander, Uros and Aidoo. Most of the rest of those guys either never played or transferred out fast. 11 of the 20 years we had 1 or less people over 6'9 and some of these guys were not even post players. Yes, you can have a starting center under 6'10 and win but when you have less than 3 guys on roster with size you're gonna have some serious issues. You have to at least have a few bodies for fouls against the teams out there that have big bodies. Just like in boxing there is a reason there are weight classes. a 6'9 (or even 6'11) 220lb guy is gonna have a lot of problems against someone 7 foot 240 those 20 pounds count for lot especially when you have access to major D1 strength training. There are exceptions to the rule from time to time but the rule stands.
How many 7 footers off the top of your head will be problems for us next year?

Back to Basketball (not sure how baseball bled in here). Any date set for a Chaz Lanier visit? Was the Hammonds visit cancelled on our end or his?
Not sure about Lanier, but we supposedly cancelled the Hammond visit.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlyStone
How many 7 footers off the top of your head will be problems for us next year?
Not aware of our schedule next year yet (it normally comes out in like july right?)and because of portal most rosters are in flux.. but how many did we face this year? We took 9 losses lets break em down

Purdue 3 big men totaled 67 mins 34 points 22 rebounds 11 fouls none fouled out. both ours fouled out totalled 25 mins 11 points and 2 rebounds. 1 true 7 footer
Kansas 3 big men totaled 73 mins 32 points 26 rebounds 4 fouls even got close to foul trouble. Our guys 34 mins 9 points 11 rebounds 4 fouls. 1 true 7 footer
N Carolina rotated 5 guys Awaka didn't play Aidoo played 21 minutes and fouled out. they had no 7 footers but 3 guys 6'10-6'11
Mississippi State 6'11 Tolu Smith decided to have his way for 23 points and only 6 boards in 29 mins and dominate the post. both Awaka and Aidoo fouled out playing 20 mins each 13 points 11 boards
South Carolina this game was basically a wash in the post they were able to get AIdoo in foul trouble they beat us at the lines (free throw and 3 point) they did have a 7 footer
Texas A&M Had no 7 footer but rotated 4 guys to neutralize Aidoo and Awaka.. they didn't foul out but combined for 11 points and 8 rebounds.
Kentucky 3 7 footers but this is the one loss that was 100% guard play.. neither teams post play was a factor in the outcome. no foul trouble
Mississippi State team as a whole couldn't hit a shot if their lives depended on it...I honestly think we lost this one on purpose to rest up. ZZ was the only guy who didn't get the memo.
Purdue Awaka fouled out in 12 mins Aidoo played 10

So of our 9 losses
only 2 teams ad 3 games Mississippi State and A&M had no 7 footer (just missed by 6'11) but all had one thing in common they outsized us and had more depth in the post.
So 5 of the 9 losses our post players were in foul trouble. In all but two they are ineffective.
Pretty much anytime we ran into a decent team with depth in the post we lost. 7 of our 9 losses were directly because we could not handle their post rotation.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldaaucoach

VN Store

Back