Total: 67mins 24.9ppg 49.2%FG 33.3%3ptFG 18.3rpg 3.0bpg

Next year we expect it to be:
Dubar: 34.6mpg 17.8ppg 53.9%FG 39.9%3ptFG 6.8rpg 0.9bpg
Milicic: 32.2mpg 12.8ppg 48.7%FG 37.6%3ptFG 8.5rpg 1.1bpg
Estrella: 5.0mpg 1.6ppg 66.7%FG 0.8rpg 0.3bpg
Okpara: 23.5mpg 6.6ppg 58.6%FG 6.4rpg 2.4bpg
Total: 95.3mpg 38.8ppg 22.5rpg 4.7bpg
Averaged to 67mpg: 27.3ppg 15.8rpg 3.3bpg

So I think it’s fair, and this is without improvements from any of those 4, that we could see a much more efficient and better scoring front court, similar rebounding, and better rim protection. Also a much more versatile 4 man who should be able to stretch the floor better than we were able to last year.
How does one factor in the new guys outside of FO played at a lower level of competition? Is it reasonable to assume they will produce at the same level in the SEC? DK increased his production last season, but I don’t recall another of our recent transfers who increased their output stepping up to the SEC?

Reactions: cardvolfan
How does one factor in the new guys outside of FO played at a lower level of competition? Is it reasonable to assume they will produce at the same level in the SEC? DK increased his production last season, but I don’t recall another of our recent transfers who increased their output stepping up to the SEC?
Also fair…nobody knows either way, you could look at their games against HM’s and try to extrapolate, Dubar was dominant in those games, but again not huge sample size. It’s all speculation and nobody will know until the games happen.

Personally I like the ceiling/versatility of:

Dubar/Milicic
Okpara/Estrella

More so than what we got last year from:

JJJ
Aidoo/Awaka

But I’ve also been wrong before 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also fair…nobody knows either way, you could look at their games against HM’s and try to extrapolate, Dubar was dominant in those games, but again not huge sample size. It’s all speculation and nobody will know until the games happen.

Personally I like the ceiling/versatility of:

Dubar/Milicic
Okpara/Estrella

More so than what we got last year from:

JJJ
Aidoo/Awaka

But I’ve also been wrong before 🤷🏻‍♂️
Are you hoping for Milicic or are you viewing him as a lock?

I wasn't going to mention it, but both ON and Plavi were notorious for no shows. Vescovi, JJJ and Aidoo all carried on that tradition. Now we get leadership from guys like ZZ and Mashack. Add in a guy like Okpara who's reported to be a real competitor and defender, and I like the vibes. Not sure about Igor, but both Lanier and Tyson are alpha types on the floor and productive. Nothing is guaranteed, but I'm excited at the prospect of a more aggressive roster with way more competitiveness night in and night out. I dont expect them to be "on" every night. Games where you can't get shots to fall will always come, but the effort is always under the players control. Those 3 players did not bring that "A effort" every night. Wish 'em well, but I'm glad their time in Knoxville is finally over.
Mashack seems like the type who is better in big games.

While I wouldn't turn him away, I think Lanier is a better fit and bigger need. I see Lanier as being a guard who can not only score, but he's reported to be good enough to run the point if needed. If we don't get him, I shudder to think about having only Gainey and Mashack to handle the ball. For all the recruiting and portal workings, we still have ZZ and not much else at the PG position. Our lone recruit is 6'4" I think. While that's not a bad thing, he's reportedly not ready to help us for a year or so. Depth at point is, for me, a real hole in this roster.
I agree that Lanier is an important recruit. However, I don’t shudder thinking about Gainey and Mashack handling the ball. I’m glad to have both of them! They are both very solid college basketball players, imo. While they aren’t natural PG’s like ZZ , they are both very serviceable ball handlers plus it is totally unrealistic to think that we can recruit a stud ball handling natural PG who is content to play minor minutes behind ZZ.

Reactions: walkenvol
I'll just say with Igor in the boat I feel better about our frontcourt than this past season.

Was always worried about what happens the nights Aidoo was "off" cause we lost most those games.
1714141332900.png

9 losses and 7 of them he kind of "no showed" if you want to be paid like the man you gotta play like him every night.

We only lost 2 games where he scored 10 or more points...

It's probably not even trade, but yet to be seen. Okpara brings rebounding and rim protection lost by Aidoo and Awaka. He'll provide a modest scoring pop under the basket but isn't a threat outside 3-4 feet, really. Milicic brings range and an ability to shoot from the 3-pt line and in, but isn't going to be a post scorer. On the whole, I'd call it a statistical wash, at best, until we see them play in this system.

Per 40 numbers...
Okpara 11.2 pts, 10.9 rebs, 4.0 blks
Milicic 15.9 pts, 10.5 rebs, 2.4 blks

Aidoo 18.4 pts, 11.8 rebs, 3.0 blks
Awaka 15.6 pts, 14.0 rebs, 1.9 blks

So, I'd call that taking a hit in the scoring department, a hit in the rebounding department, and a jump in rim protection, but that's without factoring in things like fit. We didn't play Aidoo and Awaka together very much where we should be able to play Okpara and Milicic together. Aidoo and Awaka would never reach those per 40 minute numbers because they were generally each other's subs. Okpara and Milicic can coexist more easily on the floor together, so they are more likely to approach those numbers.

I think we gain a little versatility with our new additions because they play two different positions where Aidoo and Awaka were more likely to split time at the 5.
I’ve wondered about this for the last week. Good stuff, Chris. Thanks.

I'll just say with Igor in the boat I feel better about our frontcourt than this past season.

Was always worried about what happens the nights Aidoo was "off" cause we lost most those games.
View attachment 636953

9 losses and 7 of them he kind of "no showed" if you want to be paid like the man you gotta play like him every night.

We only lost 2 games where he scored 10 or more points...
0a9a4345-eda3-4510-8d7e-c69f8254ea4c_text.gif

In a perfect world Awaka would be an elite beast like his per 40 suggest... BUUUUUT you have to also point out that his per 40 would have him at 7.6 fouls a game too.

And that's the only 1 of the 4 that is over 5. Okpara would be at 4.9, Aidoo 3.5 and Milicic at 3.1
Exactly, that's why I mentioned other factors being key components. Awaka isn't playing 40 minutes even if he never fouled. That foul rate is something I've pointed out for him a half dozen times on here, probably in this very thread.

Then quit posting them. Tf lol

Show context of why they are a “wash”

Send me some film of why they are a “wash”

You’re literally throwing per 40 numbers up and saying they are a wash.
If you actually understood the intent of the Per40 stat, then you'd understand how my post is actually oozing with context.

I had the opportunity to meet and spend a decent amount of time talking with both Dubar and Tyson and their families on their visit. Neither struck me as people who were trying to over play the portal. Certainly NIL was a big part of their motivation but the exposure and opportunities offered by our university was the thing that seemed to be the biggest draw. I agree with you that this seems like UNC putting pressure on as well as building an excuse if/when he ends up in Knoxville.
Idk if TN lands him, but finally a logical post. Thanks for sharing.

I definitely am not a part of the group saying Tyson priced himself out of UNC. I just said that the market changed this year and NIL dollars at certain schools like UNC and IU have contributed to pushing the market up. That is a pretty commonly known fact at this point. I do not buy the story about Tyson and I’m not the origin of it.
No need to explain or defend your posts.

Edit-

Last edited:
Reactions: HeadVol77
No need to explain it defend your posts. I appreciate what you share, and from what I can recall, not be critical of others with different opinions.
A lot of it is just taking what UNC posters are saying and creating a narrative based on the fact they did not acquire his commitment in a timely manner like they thought, so they are coping.

I think Tyson is still weighing his options with both teams

Reactions: vol94
Exactly, that's why I mentioned other factors being key components. Awaka isn't playing 40 minutes even if he never fouled. That foul rate is something I've pointed out for him a half dozen times on here, probably in this very thread.

End of the day we'll need to see Felix take a bit of a step in scoring while here.

Dubar and Igor I think have shown they are more than capable of matching or surpassing what all 3 mentioned offered before. But Felix is the weak link on that end... even if he just matches JJJ's numbers and is a 8-10 guy we'll be in a great spot.

These transfers are actually coming from conferences with decent competition, Knecht was just an anomaly

A lot of it is just taking what UNC posters are saying and creating a narrative based on the fact they did not acquire his commitment in a timely manner like they thought, so they are coping.

I think Tyson is still weighing his options with both teams
Agree.
At the end of the day, nobody truly knows who we will land from the portal. It’s up to Barnes and company to build the roster and then mold them to fit his system.

I try to sit back and enjoy the ride as the info changes day to day.

I just hope we have a chance to compete for the ultimate prize in April.

Reactions: lastlap
“I’ve talked to some different people this morning and the thought process is Chaz Lanier is going to go through the draft process for the next month, so this will be a slow process in my opinion just based off the people I have spoken to. Tennessee is very much in this with multiple components working in their favor in terms of relationships and such. I just don’t think it’s going to be a quick deal one way or the other…”

-AP

“I’ve talked to some different people this morning and the thought process is Chaz Lanier is going to go through the draft process for the next month, so this will be a slow process in my opinion just based off the people I have spoken to. Tennessee is very much in this with multiple components working in their favor in terms of relationships and such. I just don’t think it’s going to be a quick deal one way or the other…”

-AP

The very thing Vols fans specialize in, patience.

-AP

Had the new legislation not forced his hand I think Chaz might have very well waited until after the draft process to even enter the portal.

I understand most are in the pump up the new guys mode and downgrade the departures a bit. IMO, Awaka has a huge upside that we will miss. With more PT and eliminating 1 dumb foul per game I think he could easily average 15/10. He’s a bull with strength not commonly seen on the court. He’s had rebounding since he walked on campus. His post work and free throws have steadily improved. I think there’s a good chance if he knew he was going to get 25+ minutes every game that he could quit trying to make too much happen which led to some of those fouls. JMO, TIFWIW, AARP

Agree with this. If one of Aidoo or Awaka could have remained, I would much prefer Awaka. He brought a physicality that will be hard to replace, and he was an offensive rebounding machine. With a bit more refinement and coaching, he could easily be a 13-15 and 10-12 kind of player as well as providing an intimidating post presence. And he has two more years of eligibility.

-AP
I get it from Chaz's standpoint. However, if Tennessee misses out on him it will be very late in the transfer cycle to find a dynamic scorer that this roster badly needs.

Reactions: onfocusgovols

VN Store

Back