2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Fwiw not sure I buy that, no pun intended. I was told very early on that NIL wasn’t at all a factor in the pitches with the family, they knew the numbers and market and that both schools were in the same area, so it would be about other things and not money. Maybe that’s changed but I don’t think so. With that said, seeing the UNC mods start to walk things back is definitely interesting.
Yeah it seems like an awkward walk back, especially since there were some people saying he had signed his NIL deal earlier this week. Sounds like that may be the UNC writers logical leap if he is cooling on them.

Fwiw not sure I buy that, no pun intended. I was told very early on that NIL wasn’t at all a factor in the pitches with the family, they knew the numbers and market and that both schools were in the same area, so it would be about other things and not money. Maybe that’s changed but I don’t think so. With that said, seeing the UNC mods start to walk things back is definitely interesting.

Yep, UNC people could be making excuses by blaming the kid

These posts crack me up…who has UNC landed? Their fan base says we are the ones throwing around crazy amounts of money.

The money this year is absurd— KU, UNC, Indiana, Baylor, all spending 2-3x last year’s numbers.

So, you believe SF's above post to not be accurate then?

Maybe Cade Tyson is shopping around for the highest bidder - I have no idea. It just doesn't seem to mesh with how it seemed like he was handling the portal. If he is, then I doubt he comes to UT. It's not that we couldn't afford it. But when you bring in someone like that you're just asking for big problems in the locker room. Wouldn't surprise me if this is just how a blue blood reacts if a transfer they want doesn't get on all fours and crawl to their campus.

Maybe Cade Tyson is shopping around for the highest bidder - I have no idea. It just doesn't seem to mesh with how it seemed like he was handling the portal. If he is, then I doubt he comes to UT. It's not that we couldn't afford it. But when you bring in someone like that you're just asking for big problems in the locker room. Wouldn't surprise me if this is just how a blue blood reacts if a transfer they want doesn't get on all fours and crawl to their campus.

I had the opportunity to meet and spend a decent amount of time talking with both Dubar and Tyson and their families on their visit. Neither struck me as people who were trying to over play the portal. Certainly NIL was a big part of their motivation but the exposure and opportunities offered by our university was the thing that seemed to be the biggest draw. I agree with you that this seems like UNC putting pressure on as well as building an excuse if/when he ends up in Knoxville.

I had the opportunity to meet and spend a decent amount of time talking with both Dubar and Tyson and their families on their visit. Neither struck me as people who were trying to over play the portal. Certainly NIL was a big part of their motivation but the exposure and opportunities offered by our university was the thing that seemed to be the biggest draw. I agree with you that this seems like UNC putting pressure on as well as building an excuse if/when he ends up in Knoxville.
Gotta give a like to another Nugent fan.

So, you believe SF's above post to not be accurate then?
Not to this point on UNC, or maybe a huge chunk of that went to brings guys back like Davis & Trimble. I’m not saying UNC doesn’t have money, the posts just make me laugh because UNC fans along with Maryland fans and many other fanbases are saying the exact same thing about Tennessee.

The one big knock on Aidoo while he was here was that he played too timid/weak around the basket and that he disappeared against physical big men. Just looking at Okpara's highlights. I don't think that will be a problem with him.

Give me some of Aidoo's scoring ability with a bit of Uros's edge, and we might just have a complete player. Uros missed way too many from inside 5 feet, and Aidoo just wasn't willing to bang around inside when the game needed it. Super excited to see how Okpara does with some coaching from CRB.

Not to this point on UNC, or maybe a huge chunk of that went to brings guys back like Davis & Trimble. I’m not saying UNC doesn’t have money, the posts just make me laugh because UNC fans along with Maryland fans and many other fanbases are saying the exact same thing about Tennessee.
I definitely am not a part of the group saying Tyson priced himself out of UNC. I just said that the market changed this year and NIL dollars at certain schools like UNC and IU have contributed to pushing the market up. That is a pretty commonly known fact at this point. I do not buy the story about Tyson and I’m not the origin of it.

I definitely am not a part of the group saying Tyson priced himself out of UNC. I just said that the market changed this year and NIL dollars at certain schools like UNC and IU have contributed to pushing the market up. That is a pretty commonly known fact at this point. I do not buy the story about Tyson and I’m not the origin of it.
Again— The point is the dollars paid for a given player at value X is higher and in some instances double last year. Aidoo is a great example.

Go to one program that can pay you solid money and makes the tournament every year as a Top 4 seed, or go to another program that struggles to even make the tournament.

Be smart, Chaz.

Only way I can see him choosing Maryland if he wants to be the main guy that gets all the spotlight.

I don’t see him picking Maryland but that would be the only logical explanation.

Maybe it was your evil doppelgänger that said it. Haven’t seen him in awhile. Maybe he’s back.

So if the story about Tyson asking for too much is being put out there by UNC mods is that just an excuse for him going elsewhere or to quiet the mob that it’s not done yet?

VN Store

Back