2024 NFL Offseason Thread

What do you all think about this?

NFL owners set to vote on wild new kickoff rule: Here's everything you need to know about the proposal​

I'm thinking they oughta try it out in preseason games before implementing it. Still precious little information on how onside kicks would work
Bring it on

I feel like there’s going to be a lot of ambiguity with the “Hip drop tackle ban” resulting in a lot of headaches for both viewers and players/personnel.
I think egregious examples will be more likely called. Borderline way less. I liken it to blatant chop blocks vs incidental. Can’t call a butchering until it’s illegal. Otherwise clotheslining would be fundamentally taught.

If it really does improve safety, then fine. If they switch a few rules like this, maybe they change the value of RB's. If they stay healthy longer and they're harder to tackle because the strike zone is shrinking, the game becomes more old school in the sense that it favors increased ground game. A big LB doesn't need to hip drop a RB anyway. Go for the tackle/punch combo. No reason for DL to be hip-dropping at all, and it's probably where most the injuries happen. DB's gonna have to get a little bigger so they can ride somebody down quick without hip-dropping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plecoptera
I feel like there’s going to be a lot of ambiguity with the “Hip drop tackle ban” resulting in a lot of headaches for both viewers and players/personnel.
I don't think it's that ambiguous. No more than horse collars. There's a lot of over reactions out there today because people aren't looking at what it is. Those folks are assuming it's just low tackling.

If it wasn't a significantly increased risk of injury it wouldn't get any attention. But owners don't like seeing their star players get hurt if it can be avoided.

I don't think it's that ambiguous. No more than horse collars. There's a lot of over reactions out there today because people aren't looking at what it is. Those folks are assuming it's just low tackling.

If it wasn't a significantly increased risk of injury it wouldn't get any attention. But owners don't like seeing their star players get hurt if it can be avoided.

I remember you and I went back and forth on this. I've come your way on it some.

The hip drop tackle rule will probably be the dagger for me as far as pro sports. You sign up and make that money knowing the risk. I say cut salaries too

Reactions: orangesoda
The hip drop tackle rule will probably be the dagger for me as far as pro sports. You sign up and make that money knowing the risk. I say cut salaries too

LOL, why? The RB's already have the lowest salaries and most injuries. Why do you even care how much they make? It's no sweat off your sack. Reeks of envy and jealousy.

Whether or not they understood the risk when they signed up has no bearing on if the risk should be reduced.

Q: "Should we put seat belts in cars?"

A: "Why? Drivers understand the risk...."

LOL, why? The RB's already have the lowest salaries and most injuries. Why do you even care how much they make? It's no sweat off your sack. Reeks of envy and jealousy.

Whether or not they understood the risk when they signed up has no bearing on if the risk should be reduced.

Q: "Should we put seat belts in cars?"

A: "Why? Drivers understand the risk...."
Envy and jealousy? Lol

Yes, my initial reaction was extreme and I made a bad example of what should be done but your QA bit is also a bad comparison. Still stand behind the fact that they know what they are signing up for.

So why not just take all risk of injury out and make it flag football? Hell, let’s gift teams points just for showing up and trying.

Reactions: Rockytoptalker

We'll see.

A few clowns on here ripped me for liking the XFL rule last year and now the NFL has pretty much adopted what they were doing. I believe it’s a smart move that will save kickoffs as part of the game.
It was proposed to get the ball at the 35 if the kickoff went into the endzone to entice kickers not to kick a touchback, the rules committee pushed it back to the 30. They should have left it at the 35, other than that i love it.

VN Store

Back