2024 NBA Season Thread aka The Zion High Deductible Healthcare Plan

Just watched the full highlights. They 100% needed Lebron to defeat the Wizards! šŸ¤£

The Wizards end of game shot in a tie game (Jordan Poole hurling up a bad 3 like a grade schooler at recess) is the single best example of why a team with that much talent can be sitting at 9 wins at this point. Just wow!
Yea I seen the highlights.
I blamed the close win on having to play back to back games.šŸ˜œšŸ˜œ

Reactions: Rifleman
This is a Bobby Portis Appreciation Post, balling out early tonight and his Milwaukee career, Bucks wouldn't haven't won a Ring without him, either. He knows his role and does it extremely well

Reactions: knoxvol52
I have a rules questions. Lots of highlight reel plays are around were a player tosses the ball off the backboard, gets the ā€œreboundā€ and slams it home. Sometimes called alley oop to yourself. I know a free throw has to hit the rim to be a valid rebound. You canā€™t just wing it off the backboard to try to get the ball back. I know the 24 second clock doesnā€™t reset if the ball just hits the back board and not the rim. So why donā€™t you have to hit the rim to reset a personal possession? Why isnā€™t it a traveling violation if you toss it off the backboard to yourself? Is the league intentionally ignoring the rules to allow this dramatic play? Or do the rules clearly state itā€™s allowed?

I donā€™t remember seeing this happen in college so I wonder if the rules are more clear there.

Last edited:
I have a rules questions. Lots of highlight reel plays are around were a player tosses the ball off the backboard, gets the ā€œreboundā€ and slams it home. Sometimes called alley oop to yourself. I know a free throw has to hit the rim to be a valid rebound. You canā€™t just wing it off the backboard to try to get the ball back. I know the 24 second clock doesnā€™t reset if the ball just hits the back board and not the rim. So why donā€™t you have to hit the rim to reset a personal possession? Why isnā€™t it a traveling violation if you toss it off the rim to yourself? Is the league intentionally ignoring the rules to allow this dramatic play? Or do the rules clearly state itā€™s allowed?

I donā€™t remember seeing this happen in college so I wonder if the rules are more clear there.

From the NBA rule book on traveling:

1. A player may not be the first to touch his own pass unless the ball touches his back- board, basket ring or another player.

Reactions: ZZ13
Yea I seen the highlights.
I blamed the close win on having to play back to back games.šŸ˜œšŸ˜œ

Zack Lowe and his guest just yesterday were talking about how Lakers don't seem to find any easy wins. It's a battle even against the bad teams.

Thinking the same thing. I get some of it is potential but if he weren't LeBron's kid he wouldn't be getting a second of attention.

It's PR and reduces pressure on Bronny. If they decide not to enter draft they can say "we didn't like the teams that expressed interest" instead of "he wasn't gonna get drafted."

The weird thing about Bronny is the one thing he was supposed to be for sure goid at was shooting and he's been horrible. He has a nice stroke. I'm surprised by his assist numbers, actually. Pretty solid. He's small. A good athlete but nothing special. I think if he starts shooting 40% from 3p he'll get drafted.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
It's PR and reduces pressure on Bronny. If they decide not to enter draft they can say "we didn't like the teams that expressed interest" instead of "he wasn't gonna get drafted."

The weird thing about Bronny is the one thing he was supposed to be for sure goid at was shooting and he's been horrible. He has a nice stroke. I'm surprised by his assist numbers, actually. Pretty solid. He's small. A good athlete but nothing special. I think if he starts shooting 40% from 3p he'll get drafted.

Can't play the one. Too small for a wing. Isn't a freakish athlete. Doesn't shoot well enough consistenly. Has a heart issue.

He is what a 4 year P5 college player looks like. That's not a knock on him since 99.99999% of people aren't good enough to get to that spot.

I think the absolute best case scenario is that he develops into something like a De'Anthony Melton in the NBA...

Stephen A, Kendrick Perkins, Bob Myers and Malika Andrews might be the worst pregame show in the history of recorded television. No chemistry, stupid discussions, arguing pointless **** and non-sensical statements. Whoever produces this is a disgrace.

Wemby has been a turnover machine to start the season

He's still having some turnover issues.

But man is Wemby starting to really live up to the hype! It's scary he's this good and putting up the numbers he is now. For the sake of the league I hope he stays healthy. Could really be something special in his prime

I didn't realize this was a thing in some circles - apparently some former(?) US players blame Euros for ruining defense in the NBA. Gilbert Arenas, a bastion of critical thinking I'm certain, had this to say on the lack of D in the NBA:

ā€œI know what they can do. Get rid of all Europeans."

ā€œYou go to college to learn defense. What college do Europeans go to? They have no athleticism. They have no speed, no jumping ability. They are a liability on defense,ā€ he said. ā€œThey are 150 Euros in the league todayā€¦ name the top defenders. None! Just Rudy [Gobert] and the Greek Freak. Other than that, they are offensive players.

ā€œThe NBA took away aggression,ā€ Arenas continued. ā€œThey took away aggression to open up the EuroLeague. When they first started getting here, it was too rough for them. They didnā€™t make it. Eventually, they softened the rules. They didnā€™t soften the rules for the Americans. They softened the rules to open up international.

ā€œSo when they say the euros are going to run the league in the next five years, why do you think that? More threes, passing, cutting ā€” this is not our league, this is not the American style, this is the Euro style. Drive in, suck the defense in, pass the ball to the three-point line.ā€

Of all people trying to make this point, GILBERT ARENAS? Chucking shots and no D seems right up his Euro alley.

Reactions: Rifleman

VN Store

Back