2014 Depth Chart Predictions

I forgot about Wharton in my last post, thus the edit. I hope they break him in as the primary returner and that he at least gets some reps at the slot this first year. He's electric with the ball.

QB: Dobbs/ Worley
RB: Lane/ Hurd/ Scott
WR: North/ Croom
WR: Pearson/ Malone
Slot: Howard/ Jenkins/ Wharton
TE: Wolf/ Helm
LT: Blair/ Sanders
LG: Jackson/ Kendrick
C: Thomas/ Crowder
RG:Weisman/ Raulerson
RT: Kerbyson/ Brown

WDE: Vereen/ Mixon/ Lewis
DT: Saulsberry/ Carr/ Evans
DT: O'Brien/ Williams/ Clark
SDE: Hendrix/ Williams/ Brown
WLB: Maggitt/ Reeves-Maybin
MLB: Johnson/ Johnson
SLB: Weathered/ Bates
CB: Sutton/ Jones
FS: Randolph/ McDowell
SS: Kelly/ McNeil
CB: Payne/ Coleman
NB: Coleman/ Gaulden

I think the bolded names redshirt, I just included them to fill out the depth chart. I think we get Evans at DT and he will be ready to play. Also, the last 2 3rd team DE spots are shots in the dark, really could go to any of the freshmen or RS freshmen.

This is a very close two deep IMO. Surprises could be Fergy and you may see Curt playing LEO. Otherwise dead on.

QB:Ferguson or Dobbs/ Worley
RB: Lane/ Hurd/ Scott
WR/SE: Pearson/Malone
WR/FL: North/Croom/ J.Johnson
WR/SL: Pig/ Young/ Wharton
TE/FB:Wolfe/Helms/ Creamer/ Downs
LT: Blair/ Brown
LG: Jackson/ Sanders
C: Crowder/ Thomas
RG: Weisman/Pair
RT: Kerb/Raulerson

The TE position will have to make huge progress and be a huge focus point as they battle it out in the spring!!!

Defense:
SDE: Hendrix/J. Williams/ Mixon
DT: O. Wiiliams/ Carr
NT: Sauls/ OBrien
WDE: Veeren/ Lewis/ Miller
WLB: JRM/Weatherd/ Bates
MLB: AJ/King/ Bryant
SLB: Maggit/ Ell.Berry/ Bates
CB:Sutton/ R.Jones/ Payne
CB: Moseley or Gaulden/ L.Johnson
NB:Ev.Berry or Gaulden/Coleman
FS: Randolph/Tkjr/Mcneil
SS: Coleman/Mcdowell/Mcneil

Coleman is a good tackler and safety is a better position for him in my opinion, bc he's not great on 1on1 with recievers beating him deep, but would be better covering tight ends. Evan Berry is quick and fast and will be a total upgrade at the NB spot!!

Special Teams:
K:Medley
P:Darr
KR:Young/ Scott
PR:Young/Smith/ Wharton

Branisel is more likely to beat Downs out than any of the Fr but I suspect those will be your top two at TE. I don't think Pair makes the 2-deep.

As much as the unknown commodity has some romance to him when you don't think the starter is playing well... Worley is probably the QB again once the dust settles. He leads. The O was improving behind him. His injury probably cost UT the chance to be more competitive vs MU and a win vs Vandy. His ability to manage the game might have also kept UT more competitive in the Auburn game.

I think the WR and slot positions are a bunch of 1a's, 1b's, and 1c's. A couple will emerge as the definite 1a's... but the others will all get chances to make plays. I never discount the value of having SEC experience even if some of it was tough. I suspect Croom, Johnson, and Smith will be bigger factors than most seem to think. Bowles could still emerge. He has the talent.

On the DL, I think Saulsberry and O'Brien start. Beyond them.. I can't even venture a guess. Carr should make noise. Lewis, Vickers, Brown, Miller... all guys who were "projects" who could be ready for action and shock the world.

At LB... its just nice to have something to argue about again as far as who might start or play. UT has been kind of scrapping a group together for years now.

I think Coleman will be fine at CB and start there. If not him then Jones. I do not think and most definitely do not hope that a Fr starts at CB. I think there is a good chance that Coleman slides over to nickel when they go 5 DB.

McNeil was a young player this year. He got valuable experience and has tremendous upside as far as pure talent is concerned. He's very likely to start and even more likely to be one of the most improved players on the D. It was not very long ago that folks here were gushing about him as a "day one starter" because he was the impressive HS recruit. The transition isn't as easy as it seems...

It will be good if the young guys can play behind guys with experience and work their way in rather than being thrown to the wolves from the start. Some of the talent UT has had over the past few years has had stunted development because they did not have a upper classman to learn from and they were thrown into the fire too soon and too quickly. Working them in is better for them and the team than throwing them in.

Reactions: 1 person
Camm Sutton was a freshman last year and if we have a freshman that can out beat Coleman for the starting spot, im all for it!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Some of the talent UT has had over the past few years has had stunted development because they did not have a upper classman to learn from and they were thrown into the fire too soon and too quickly.

Can you provide examples of players who support this position?

QB -Worley, Peterman, R Ferguson, Josh Dobbs
RB - M Lane, J Pickett, J Hurd
WR - M North, P Harris, R Jenkins
WR - L Pearson, J Croom, D Booth
Slot - Pig, D Young, Wharton
TE- AJ Bransiel, Wolf, D Helm, B Downs
LT - A Sanders, R Raulerson
LG - M Jackson, B Kendrick
C - M Crowder, C Thomas
RG - D Weisman, O Brown
RT- D Blair, K Kerbyson

DE - C Vereen, D Hendrix
DE - D Lambert, J Williams, J Carr
DT - Saulsberry, O Williams, D Mixon
DT - D Obrien, G Clark
LB - AJ Johnson, J Johnson, K Moulhoun
LB - C Maggitt, D Bates
LB - C Weatherd, J Reeves
NB - R Gaulden, Swafford
CB - C Sutton, D Payne
CB - Berry, J Coleman, R Jones
S - B Randolph, C McDowell
S - Todd Kelly, Berry, L Mcneil

K - A Medley
Maybe change some of the OL/DL but that might be mine.
MRBIGGLES knows what he is talking about and I agree...

MRBIGGLES knows what he is talking about and I agree...

If Orlando Brown is in the two-deep this Fall...EVERYONE can kick babyavi in the nuts! :salute:
Posted via VolNation Mobile

QB- Ferguson,Dobbs,Worley,Peterman
RB- Lane,Hurd,Scott,Pickett
WR- North,Croom,Carter
WR- Pearson,Malone,Johnson
Slot- Pig,Young,Smith

I think we will be seeing a lot of 4WR sets to get the North,Pearson,Malone,Pig combo on the field at the same time.

TE- Downs,Branisel,Helm,Wolf
LT- Blair,Raulerson
LG- Jackson,Kendrick
C- Crowder,Thomas
RG- Wiesman,Pair
RT- Sanders,Kerbyson

DE- J.Williams,Hendrix
DT- Saulsberry,O.Williams
DT- O'Brien,Clark
DE- Vereen,Carr
OLB- Maggitt,Bates
MLB- AJ, J. Johnson,Bryant
OLB- Reeves-Maybin,Weatherd,Berry
CB- Sutton,Payne,Berry
CB- Coleman,Jones,Moseley
S- Randolph,Kelly
S- Mcneil,McDowell

I filled out the 2nd/3rd team with alot of EE's. I think they will have an advantage over the other FR. We're really thin on the OL. Can't afford major injuries there. Otherwise there is some decent depth on the roster. We could surprise some teams IF(and thats a big if) we can get some good QB play.

Can you provide examples of players who support this position?

I do not believe that James, Stone, or Fulton developed as well as they would have had they not had to start as Fr. Coleman and Randolph are good examples also.

Unless you have a really, really special Fr it is ideal to ease them in with bites that they can swallow.

QB- Ferguson,Dobbs,Worley,Peterman
RB- Lane,Hurd,Scott,Pickett
WR- North,Croom,Carter
WR- Pearson,Malone,Johnson
Slot- Pig,Young,Smith

I think we will be seeing a lot of 4WR sets to get the North,Pearson,Malone,Pig combo on the field at the same time.

TE- Downs,Branisel,Helm,Wolf
LT- Blair,Raulerson
LG- Jackson,Kendrick
C- Crowder,Thomas
RG- Wiesman,Pair
RT- Sanders,Kerbyson

DE- J.Williams,Hendrix
DT- Saulsberry,O.Williams
DT- O'Brien,Clark
DE- Vereen,Carr
OLB- Maggitt,Bates
MLB- AJ, J. Johnson,Bryant
OLB- Reeves-Maybin,Weatherd,Berry
CB- Sutton,Payne,Berry
CB- Coleman,Jones,Moseley
S- Randolph,Kelly
S- Mcneil,McDowell

I filled out the 2nd/3rd team with alot of EE's. I think they will have an advantage over the other FR. We're really thin on the OL. Can't afford major injuries there. Otherwise there is some decent depth on the roster. We could surprise some teams IF(and thats a big if) we can get some good QB play.

Spot on

Branisel is more likely to beat Downs out than any of the Fr but I suspect those will be your top two at TE. I don't think Pair makes the 2-deep.

As much as the unknown commodity has some romance to him when you don't think the starter is playing well... Worley is probably the QB again once the dust settles. He leads. The O was improving behind him. His injury probably cost UT the chance to be more competitive vs MU and a win vs Vandy. His ability to manage the game might have also kept UT more competitive in the Auburn game.

I think the WR and slot positions are a bunch of 1a's, 1b's, and 1c's. A couple will emerge as the definite 1a's... but the others will all get chances to make plays. I never discount the value of having SEC experience even if some of it was tough. I suspect Croom, Johnson, and Smith will be bigger factors than most seem to think. Bowles could still emerge. He has the talent.

On the DL, I think Saulsberry and O'Brien start. Beyond them.. I can't even venture a guess. Carr should make noise. Lewis, Vickers, Brown, Miller... all guys who were "projects" who could be ready for action and shock the world.

At LB... its just nice to have something to argue about again as far as who might start or play. UT has been kind of scrapping a group together for years now.

I think Coleman will be fine at CB and start there. If not him then Jones. I do not think and most definitely do not hope that a Fr starts at CB. I think there is a good chance that Coleman slides over to nickel when they go 5 DB.

McNeil was a young player this year. He got valuable experience and has tremendous upside as far as pure talent is concerned. He's very likely to start and even more likely to be one of the most improved players on the D. It was not very long ago that folks here were gushing about him as a "day one starter" because he was the impressive HS recruit. The transition isn't as easy as it seems...

It will be good if the young guys can play behind guys with experience and work their way in rather than being thrown to the wolves from the start. Some of the talent UT has had over the past few years has had stunted development because they did not have a upper classman to learn from and they were thrown into the fire too soon and too quickly. Working them in is better for them and the team than throwing them in.

I agree with you about the Freshmen. Do you believe Branisel, Saulsberry and Jenkins will be ready to play next year...or Paulk? Does McNeil have the speed to keep his job?

I believe, like you, that us fans have way to much romantic fascination (no homo) with the new guys. I agree that if Worley had not been injured, we would have made bowl game. I hope he starts unless Dobbs or Fergie excel enough to beat him out. He gives us the best chance to win 6 to 8 games.

Great crop of incoming freshmen but it is rare to get one that can start at db like Sutton. Really hard to start as a cb as a true freshmen so I'd be surprised if any of them start ahead of Coleman but wouldn't be surprised if Foreman or Jones start ahead of him. He really struggled in one on one coverage. Looks more like a safety.

Great crop of incoming freshmen but it is rare to get one that can start at db like Sutton. Really hard to start as a cb as a true freshmen so I'd be surprised if any of them start ahead of Coleman but wouldn't be surprised if Foreman or Jones start ahead of him. He really struggled in one on one coverage. Looks more like a safety.

Their are some very competitive guys on the 2013 team that outplayed Georgia and beat South Carolina. They played Florida pretty darn good to, before Florida was decimated by injuries. Don't think that any of the guys on the 2 deep depth chart that did not graduate are going to lay down and let a kid just out of high school take their spot. Don't forget that all of the guys returning from last season have some pretty darn good high school highlights as well.:hi:

Lambert too?

Yeah...good catch...one kick for each leg :)...somebody let babyavi know...he's giving tux a Swedish deep tissue massage at the moment :ermm:
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Worley may not have the big arm or be a talented runner, but he's smart and he has the most experience of any QB on the team, and he has a better command of the offense than the others, it's his job to lose out of spring practice. Let's put some real talent around him and see what he can do. So as of right now, it's

1. Worley
2. Dobbs
3. Peterman
4. Ferguson

If Ferguson wants to win the job he will have to start from the bottom and prove himself.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back