2014 and 2015 Baseball commits

They just wrapped up the WWBA World Championship in Jupiter, Fla. Quite a few Vol commits participated.

Brodie Leftridge
Kevin Steen
Benito Santiago
Jake Westphal
Dominick Cammarata
Lane Thomas
Aaron Soto
Brett Langhorne

Chris Betts
Richard Jackson
Tyler Halas
Ke'Bryan Hayes
Garrett Davilla

Cammarata played on a loaded Evo Shield Canes team who ended up winning the championship. USCe had six commits on that team and UF had two.

CITIZEN-TIMES.com: High School Huddle » Allen, Cammarata win world title

Steen, Santiago and Thomas were mentioned in the preview.

Jupiter breakdown: top 20 teams | Perfect Game USA

Coach AT was there and Kendall Rogers tweeted the following:

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 5h
#Tennessee ought to have much improved club in 2014. Asst. Aric Thomas said in Jupiter OF’s Christin Stewart/Vince Jackson had A + falls #Vols

GBO!

Last edited:
From a post Jupiter PG Chat:

Comment From Frank
Any 2015 bats that stood out in Jupiter?

Patrick Ebert:
We have a few questions in the queue about the top 2015 bats. I'm sure one of the other guys will grab one or more of those, but Daz Cameron, in my mind, continues to show why he's the top prospect in the 2015 class. He's a game-changer in all phases, and you can tell opposing teams amp up a little when facing him, both at the plate and on the basepaths, clearly aware of his presence. I like Ryan Johnson's approach and setup at the plate, very professional type approach with a good LH swing. His big body suggests there's a lot of power to come. I didn't get to see much of him, but I know Brendan Rodgers drew rave reviews. John Aiello is a guy that had a lot of our staff clamoring, and for good reason. Chris Betts smokes the ball more consistently than any other player in the class.

Comment From Dave
What did you think about the Atlanta Blue Jays team. It looks like they have about 5-6 high draft picks on that team. What's your thoughts

Frankie Piliere:
You are very right. I really like Roberto Gonzalez, i think he has one of the better hit tools out there. Same goes for Bonfield. Everyone knows how good Touki is and Santiago is one of the best catching prospects in the country. And, guys like Steen and Pate are just below them, among others. Very talented roster.

Quillen had over 50 inn as a frosh. Surely we didn't cut him loose??

Went back and looked at the weekly schedules, Quillen had opportunities.

Also, Campbell Scholl and Brett Martin don't seem to have made the cut.

Am I missing someone besides Quillen and Kidd?

I'm confused by Quillen. I thought he would be a guy you would want to build around on the mound. There is a lot more dead weight on the roster that needs to go before him. I have no idea what happened. I guess there could be off the field issues, grades, or Quillen's decision. I would like to know what happened in this situation.

I'm confused by Quillen. I thought he would be a guy you would want to build around on the mound. There is a lot more dead weight on the roster that needs to go before him. I have no idea what happened. I guess there could be off the field issues, grades, or Quillen's decision. I would like to know what happened in this situation.

I understand where you're coming from. I doubt we'll ever know what happened.

Reading some of these post made me sign up and make a comment. I followed many games last year and besides Godley pitching was a weakness. So no we shouldn't build this years staff around anyone from last year unless Godley has eligibility left. Quillens numbers 6+ era isn't a big loss no matter what happened. I believe we recruited in many JC arms who probably will take up many innings this year. I saw a few innings vs Belmont and team looks much improved and could be close to getting back in the mix of SEC. GO VOLS

Reactions: 1 person
I wasn't saying he was the anchor of the staff but he pitched on the weekend as a freshman. It's not unusual to see a freshman with a 6+ era in sec play come back as a sophomore and have a 3-4 era. You don't see many freshmen come in this league and dominate, it takes some time. People shouldn't expect Serrano to come in and have a sub 3 era if he is a weekend starter. He has a ton of potential but most programs can bring them along more slow (midweek games or out of the pen). If he does struggle this year and ends up with a 6 era, I will expect him to make a big jump his sophomore year and still be on the team.

Pitching is the biggest question mark on this team. I expect them to be much improved offensively and defensively. If the juco's and new arms can make a big impact it will be a fun baseball season. Im curious how they will use Owenby this year, reliever again or starter. Either way I think the 2015 season will be really exciting and you will see ut baseball back competing like everyone expects.

Reading some of these post made me sign up and make a comment. I followed many games last year and besides Godley pitching was a weakness. So no we shouldn't build this years staff around anyone from last year unless Godley has eligibility left. Quillens numbers 6+ era isn't a big loss no matter what happened. I believe we recruited in many JC arms who probably will take up many innings this year. I saw a few innings vs Belmont and team looks much improved and could be close to getting back in the mix of SEC. GO VOLS

Welcome, post often! :hi:

Lane, Steen and Wesphal all got clocked at 91 MPH and made the list which included 185players that got clocked at 90+ down in Jupiter.

Also noticed Will Carter and Ralph Ramirez aren't on the roster.

I was told by some parents that Carter never made it because of an injury and returned for Soph year at Walters State. Ramirez I was told didn't get the grades to transfer.

Were they on the roster at all this fall? I don't recall…..

I think that's what he's saying, they never made it in. I was looking at the early signees and noticed that those two weren't currently on the roster. Sorry for the confusion.

A couple of thoughts on Quillen: He was thrown in way over his head last year as a weekend guy in the SEC. He had some flashes of competence but predictably, he struggled. However, he gave his all and competed as well as any walk on freshman pitcher could be expected to do in the SEC.

This fall, he was expected to compete for his position. However, Quillen relies heavily on his curve ball and during the fall scrimmages, the pitchers are only allowed to throw fastballs and change ups. Tough spot for him.

Not saying, Quillen would have ever been a quality starter in SEC play. However, I'm not sure he got a fair shot to develop and learn to pitch at this level. Quality young man and he will be successful with or without baseball.

A couple of thoughts on Quillen: He was thrown in way over his head last year as a weekend guy in the SEC. He had some flashes of competence but predictably, he struggled. However, he gave his all and competed as well as any walk on freshman pitcher could be expected to do in the SEC.

This fall, he was expected to compete for his position. However, Quillen relies heavily on his curve ball and during the fall scrimmages, the pitchers are only allowed to throw fastballs and change ups. Tough spot for him.

Not saying, Quillen would have ever been a quality starter in SEC play. However, I'm not sure he got a fair shot to develop and learn to pitch at this level. Quality young man and he will be successful with or without baseball.

I agree with the concept of only throwing FB's and changes during fall as the staff is trying to develop the 3rd pitch, which for the majority of guys is the change.

However the coaches must take in consideration that a kid's best pitch and out pitch may be the curve.

I wish they would let pitcher's throw a limited number of curves, may be beneficial to the hitters as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Backwards K "thrown in way over his head for freshman walk-on?" I would think most players would think of that as a once in a lifetime experience.

How about us posters comment about the members of the team that did make it and less focus on why some guys didn't. We have so much to look forward to with all the returning guys that we have and the new guys on board for this next year. Nothing against Quillen I'm sure he is a great kid, but he no longer will help the VOLS but we wish him well.

VN Store

Back