2013 F Austin Nichols (Memphis Briarcrest)

Something I think NEEDS to happen is Austin meeting both Peyton and Phil Fulmer. I know they are football affiliated but why not have two of the UT greats talk to him and pitch to him why he should come here.

This is why I don't like stigmas on coaches.

Cuonzo's team averaged 70 ppg, which was middle of the pack in the SEC, without installing the motion offense completely.

Bf Quinn made great points about this in his live blog. His teams at miss st were always top of the league in scoring...and as you mentioned we were 6th in SEC scoring with about 50% of our offense installed.

I also have mentioned it a few times, but Austin ran a 4-1 offense in Hugh school. Coincidentally CCM has been working on a 4-1 in the off season and will be putting that in place somewhat atleast. I'm sure CCM will be sure to point this out and show it to the Nichols in a practice this weekend...

I'm sure he'll also make it a point to show how Kyle Weems was used when he was at Missouri State and the success he brought to him.

Something I think NEEDS to happen is Austin meeting both Peyton and Phil Fulmer. I know they are football affiliated but why not have two of the UT greats talk to him and pitch to him why he should come here.

You can bet Peyton will be introduced to the whole family.

Slow style? We didn't play a slow style. Did you watch any games last year

Maybe it looked that way because of what the prior era was like, but it felt like a grind-it-out pace. When I said "slow," I didn't mean to imply we were holding to the end of the clock on every trip.

And, 70 ppg does not sound high. Now low, but not high either. I wonder how that compares with the rest of the league.

EDIT: OK, middle of the pack.

Last edited:
This is why I don't like stigmas on coaches.

Cuonzo's team averaged 70 ppg, which was middle of the pack in the SEC, without installing the motion offense completely.

UT was 194th in adjusted tempo last season. A little south of the 50th percentile. Not necessarily a "wide open offense", which is what Papa Nichols is saying I think.

UT was 194th in adjusted tempo last season. A little south of the 50th percentile. Not necessarily a "wide open offense", which is what Papa Nichols is saying I think.

The fact is that Martin teaches defense and being physical first anyway. He understands that you won't always play great offense, but you can on defense.

That said, Martin wil rely on his post players alot on offense. You will see Stokes and Maymon in action this year. Sure, it's not as uptempo as maybe Memphis. But, it is a different philosophy that allows you to control the game. Kind of like when Memphis played St. Louis. But, Martin isn't that deliberate.

The fact is that Martin teaches defense and being physical first anyway. He understands that you won't always play great offense, but you can on defense.

That said, Martin wil rely on his post players alot on offense. You will see Stokes and Maymon in action this year. Sure, it's not as uptempo as maybe Memphis. But, it is a different philosophy that allows you to control the game. Kind of like when Memphis played St. Louis. But, Martin isn't that deliberate.

I completely understand, and I don't think that CCM plays a bad style of ball. It's hard to argue that he plays an up-tempo style like Mark Nichols is stating.

IMO, this is Mark's way of hinting that he wants Austin at Duke. K is known for an up and down game.

Also, although both Stokes and Maymon are very versatile, they are essentially bruisers down low. We don't really have "runners" in the post. That will be different, however, if Nichols commits. Once we get guys like Nichols (hopefully), Davis and Reese (when healed) in action, we will see a little more uptempo action overall as a team. We just don't have the pieces in place yet. I believe this is why versatility seems to be the theme in Martin's recruiting.

Also, although both Stokes and Maymon are very versatile, they are essentially bruisers down low. We don't really have "runners" in the post. That will be different, however, if Nichols commits. Once we get guys like Nichols (hopefully), Davis and Reese (when healed) in action, we will see a little more uptempo action overall as a team. We just don't have the pieces in place yet. I believe this is why versatility seems to be the theme in Martin's recruiting.

Good point. What I was leading to though, I have heard that Austin has good post moves. To be fair, I have not seen him play. But, it sounds like he is just fine in a half-court set because of his ability around the basket. I can guarantee you that CCM would love to get Hubbs in open space as well. So, I am sure the personnel will change that.

Good point. What I was leading to though, I have heard that Austin has good post moves. To be fair, I have not seen him play. But, it sounds like he is just fine in a half-court set because of his ability around the basket. I can guarantee you that CCM would love to get Hubbs in open space as well. So, I am sure the personnel will change that.

You should look up some of his highlight videos. Got to see him play in the state tournament last season. He's very fundamentally sound, has the ability to get up and down the floor, solid post moves and an honest jumper. I've made the comment before that he seems to do everything very well, but nothing great (in other words, a very solid basketball player with a high ceiling). Not a knock on him in the least because there is no real weakness with the exception of strength at this point. There's a highlight video of Hubbs floating around that shows the chemistry they have together. They would be a phenominal duo.

You should look up some of his highlight videos. Got to see him play in the state tournament last season. He's very fundamentally sound, has the ability to get up and down the floor, solid post moves and an honest jumper. I've made the comment before that he seems to do everything very well, but nothing great (in other words, a very solid basketball player with a high ceiling). Not a knock on him in the least because there is no real weakness with the exception of strength at this point. There's a highlight video of Hubbs floating around that shows the chemistry they have together. They would be a phenominal duo.

Will try to look at those. Kind of sad because Briarcrest is less than 10 minutes from my house. Probably like 5 minutes.

Just for those who tried to say that it wasn't a packed house.

416814_10151099266857734_78059899_n.jpg

And that's on a Friday night in one of America's largest cities and tourist towns. Let's see Rocky Top beat that. And women's basketball won't be the same without Summit so you've only got football left to be good at.:eek:lol:

How did those three white people get the front row?

Someone on the recruiting board says Skeeter, a normally reliable and allegedly well-connected poster, has tweeted that our basketball staff just got some good news. I have no idea if any of this is true.

I was raised in Memphis, but I don't see how someone could say that it is one of America's largest cities and tourist towns.

I can tell you that when UT basketball is good, TBA fills up. I believe Top 10 in attendance for at least 6 years now.

I was raised in Memphis, but I don't see how someone could say that it is one of America's largest cities and tourist towns.

I can tell you that when UT basketball is good, TBA fills up. I believe Top 10 in attendance for at least 6 years now.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is top 5.

Someone on the recruiting board says Skeeter, a normally reliable and allegedly well-connected poster, has tweeted that our basketball staff just got some good news. I have no idea if any of this is true.

what is Skeeter's twitter handle?

Geez, CCM is getting it done. For all of the criticism of Mike Hamilton, he made some good hires, especially in basketball. Hopefully, we have a great season and continue building in recruiting.

Reactions: 1 person

Don't know where that info came from but......Don't feel like looking it up but Memphis is not one of America's largest cities. It's something like 20th largest I think. It's the largest in TN. 2nd largest metropolitan area in TN.

It's a pretty popular tourist town because of Graceland and Beale Street. U of Memphis has been in the top 10 NCAA basketball attendance for the past 4 years.

VN Store

Back