2013 F Austin Nichols (Memphis Briarcrest)

I have heard that too, though I don't understand it. UK carries some weight in basketball, but lets face it, this is still a football conference, and UK carries little weight on that front. If the SEC wants Louisville, I don't see UK standing in the way of it as much of a threat.

I agree, but hasn't the SEC said they want to stay away from adding schools from a state that already has a team. The fans here say UK were pretty vocal on this subject, of course that's fan talk. But the rumors I've heard is Virginia Tech and NC St will likely be teams 15 and 16. And the SEC doesn't have schools in those states. Personally I'd prefer UofL over either of those 2. Solid all around program, with a fan base that really supports both sports.

I agree, Jerry. Adding teams is mostly about money. UK already has the SEC on in Kentucky. Texas A&M and Missouri got the SEC two new TV markets. Adding Louisville, FSU, Miami, GA Tech, Clemson, etc would not do that. Obviously quality of teams is a factor, but TV markets run it. VA Tech and NC State would be perfect - unless maybe you could get Oklahoma...

I agree, but hasn't the SEC said they want to stay away from adding schools from a state that already has a team. The fans here say UK were pretty vocal on this subject, of course that's fan talk. But the rumors I've heard is Virginia Tech and NC St will likely be teams 15 and 16. And the SEC doesn't have schools in those states. Personally I'd prefer UofL over either of those 2. Solid all around program, with a fan base that really supports both sports.

Not sure. It seems a little unfair to teams like UT, Vandy, Bama, Auburn, Mississippi and Miss St, though to make an effort to avoid teams from the same state now.

Not sure. It seems a little unfair to teams like UT, Vandy, Bama, Auburn, Mississippi and Miss St, though to make an effort to avoid teams from the same state now.

Very true, but we can't exactly kick Vandy, Old Miss, and Auburn out now. Like the guy above you said, its all about money and sadly football rules in this regard. So adding a VA tech makes sense for football, even though they bring nothing basketball wise. You gotta think when the conference first started it was about getting teams in the same part of the US, so schools in the same state were a plus. Now that money is so crazy in college sports, its about new markets and opening the recruiting doors to different states. Adding VA tech and NC St opens up Virginia and NC, two pretty good states for football recruits. Like I said and you said football dictates these changes. Just look at other conferences they are working the same angles.

I agree, Jerry. Adding teams is mostly about money. UK already has the SEC on in Kentucky. Texas A&M and Missouri got the SEC two new TV markets. Adding Louisville, FSU, Miami, GA Tech, Clemson, etc would not do that. Obviously quality of teams is a factor, but TV markets run it. VA Tech and NC State would be perfect - unless maybe you could get Oklahoma...

If I had my choice it would be Oklahoma and UofL. But Oklahoma isn't leaving the big 12 and UofL is in KY. So we get VA Tech and NC St....probably. For me tradition wise Oklahoma football and UofL basketball is a thousand times greater than the other 2 combined.

OK, so when you say Josh is turning up the heat because he is feeling it from the Memphis fans to get Nichols, that's not what you really meant. Got it.

And apparently you don't get the difference in being a UT fan and a Martin fan. My expectations for Martin as a coach are not in line with the expectations I have for UT basketball. That has been my complaint all along.
nothing in your post makes a lick of sense. you stepped out early hating on Martin before they ever played a game and even after it was fairly clear early in the season that you were 100% wrong by then it was too late and you are stuck because of the legendary thread you authored and maintained for months.

For whatever reason you dont like martin. How the f can you have expectations of a coach and team that differ.. that makes no sense when he is the coach of THAT TEAM. Basically what you are saying is you want him to fail because until that happens you will always be on a steady diet of crow. But I digress no sense taking a thread already madly off topic even more off topic.

See this is exactly what I have been saying just what BadJerry is telling all of us. Adding Memphis to the Big East is considered a step down and really it is. The Big East will or is going to be Conf USA with Providence added in for basketball.

Honestly man, if you don't think moving to the Big East from the C-USA is a step up for Memphis, then you're a fool. The Memphis program helps out BE bball and adds a big market. You're really reaching here, guy.

Reactions: 1 person
I have heard that too, though I don't understand it. UK carries some weight in basketball, but lets face it, this is still a football conference, and UK carries little weight on that front. If the SEC wants Louisville, I don't see UK standing in the way of it as much of a threat.

I have no idea how much truth there is to this, but I have heard that UK, UGA, and FL have all agreed to vote against any teams from those respective states (UL, GA Tech, UM/FSU), because each wants to be the only SEC school in their state.

I have no idea how much truth there is to this, but I have heard that UK, UGA, and FL have all agreed to vote against any teams from those respective states (UL, GA Tech, UM/FSU), because each wants to be the only SEC school in their state.

I have heard this also but I thought it was a 4 school alliance (your 3 plus So Carolina). In the 12 team league days 4 no votes blocked an expansion vote. I'm not sure how that works now with 14 members.

Honestly man, if you don't think moving to the Big East from the C-USA is a step up for Memphis, then you're a fool. The Memphis program helps out BE bball and adds a big market. You're really reaching here, guy.

Guy its not a step down for Memphis it is a step down for the Big East from what they had. You're reaching guy if you don't realize this!!

This gentleman doesn't understand expansions.

Uh its my understanding that Memphis received the BE invite because the BE had so many teams that bolted to other conferences which is contraction not expansion. For the BE to add Memphis, Houston, and SMU is quite a step down from teams like West Va,, Notre Dame, Syracuse and Pitt. You must not understand that adding little inner city Memphis in place of Notre Dame is a step down for the Big East. That is what I was saying and please correct me some more if I am wrong and don't understand.

Uh its my understanding that Memphis received the BE invite because the BE had so many teams that bolted to other conferences which is contraction not expansion. For the BE to add Memphis, Houston, and SMU is quite a step down from teams like West Va,, Notre Dame, Syracuse and Pitt. You must not understand that adding little inner city Memphis in place of Notre Dame is a step down for the Big East. That is what I was saying and please correct me some more if I am wrong and don't understand.

I having a hard time understanding why you are trying to reason with a Memphis State fan.
:crazy:

I have heard this also but I thought it was a 4 school alliance (your 3 plus So Carolina). In the 12 team league days 4 no votes blocked an expansion vote. I'm not sure how that works now with 14 members.

Yep, forgot about them. I don't know what the dynamic would be now that there are 14 teams. Hard to say what the actual voting rules are for bringing in a new team, but I'm not sure if Slive would want to piss off 4 long time (well 3 plus USC) SEC members.

If Memphis was that big of a market the SEC would have added them LONG AGO....of course the SEC already has this market anyways..

To expand, you have to take teams that are steps down about 95% of the time.

You think that the Big 12 wanted to trade TAMU with WVU? It's good for WVU though, and the best option for the Big 12.

You seem to have trouble comprehending the concept of expansion.

VN Store

Back