2013 F Austin Nichols (Memphis Briarcrest)

Jarnell stokes is trying to help reel him in, from his twitter: “@JarnellStokes: Tennessee! Show my guy @a_nichols33 some love! Top 13' recruit will be in the arena tomorrow! #vfl”

Talked to the Briarcrest AD and the HC last week and asked about this kid. Evidently a fantastic kid with a great attitude.

photo.JPG

Not to be a douche but why is there no mention of thornwell?

Gcrop can we get this profile put on his front page please, thanks!

Austin Nichols #15 SF 4* Grade-92

Strengths:
Fundamentally sound big man who keeps the ball high on the block and off the boards, he can score with his back to the basket, runs the floor very well and can knock down a short jumper.

Weaknesses:
Seems to be a trend of thin post/wing players in the Memphis area. Nichols is sound fundamentally but he has narrow shoulders and needs upper body strength badly to compete on the interior on the next level.

Bottom Line:
Nichols is a hard worker who has excellent footwork and passing skills out of the post.

figured id share some tweets from austin:

cody gross put out a twee that said "last summer jarnell stokes and austin nichols played on same AAU team. could they team up again at UT? nichols is visiting knoxville today." austin retweeted this to show everyone TIFWIW

tweet from austin..."i see tennessee showing me love by painting the rock. much love for it! great place?

tweet from austin..."picked up too many followers from volnation and the love is incredible! keep the followers coming! S/o to jarnell stokes for helping! go big orange"

tweet from austin...someone asked him, "did you have fun? hope you enjoyed knoxville!" austin's reply "loved it, i definitely be back! great atmosphere."

definitely a good start :)

I believe this is the 3rd time he's been here in the last few months.

im not in the know, but this kid seems like a very strong UT lean IMO. this would be a huge get for ccm, another top player out of memphis, and the sooner we could land him the better so he and jarnell can recruit more memphis guys.

A lot of people here think UF is out in front, but I don't see it at all. Maybe I'm wrong. If Duke offers we'll have a battle on our hands, but there are several things working in UT's favor.

He isn't staying in Memphis, though. That much is clear.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of people here think UF is out in front, but I don't see it at all. Maybe I'm wrong. If Duke offers we'll have a battle on our hands, but there are several things working in UT's favor.

Uf I don't see, duke that'd be trouble. Hopefully he'll committ soon, I did like the fact he was decked out in UT, means he's actually going and buying it hopefully.

He isn't staying in Memphis, though. That much is clear.

AD told me he likes the vols, fwiw

I don't get the impression that he's going to pull the trigger to anyone in the near future, though that is an opinion and could obviously be wrong. I don't see any reason for him to rush, he's got a great offer list, Tennessee and others will certainly wait on him, and I would guess there's probably some interest on his part to see how serious UNC and/or Duke get.

Not saying I think he will roll over and commit to either spot if they were to offer, but IMO if you're a smart kid, you're crazy not to at least listen when those programs are showing interest.

I think Tennessee is in good shape there early on. His family are Tennessee fans from way before he was a big-time prospect, so that's a plus, and from what I can gather there's a really good relationship in place with Coach Martin. I wouldn't get discouraged if something doesn't happen early, I think the Vols will be deep in this one.

From Rob Lewis

I don't follow basketball recruiting that much, but getting Stokes makes me feel like we can get anybody out of Memphis. It just SOUNDS and FEELS like we moved up a notch in Memphis recruiting.

VN Store

Back