2013 AL PG Travon Landry

He's certainly not going to fix the perimeter shooting. According to MaxPreps, Travon went 2-29 from behind the arc this past season.

He might not provide a perimeter threat but he would add one element that TN needs. Quickness(something Martin doesn't recruit) on offense and defense.
Wouldn't be so bad to actually have a ball handler on the floor that can penetrate and feed Maymon and Stokes.
McRae and Hubbs can handle the rest of the scoring if the bigs are getting their shots.

He might not provide a perimeter threat but he would add one element that TN needs. Quickness(something Martin doesn't recruit) on offense and defense.
Wouldn't be so bad to actually have a ball handler on the floor that can penetrate and feed Maymon and Stokes.
McRae and Hubbs can handle the rest of the scoring if the bigs are getting their shots.

If teams don't respect your shot just a little bit, you don't penetrate and dish. Landry didn't penetrate and dish at HP. He did bring the ball up the floor, but immediately handed it off and watched the other guys play.

My guess, he'll look a lot like Lopez. He'll come in a few games when Golden is struggling, handle the ball pretty well and stay in front of his guy for a few trips down the floor. There'll be folks who say, "wow, that kid needs more minutes. He's a true PG." Then, like Lopez, he'll go back to the bench when Golden finds his shot again.

And, shooting FTs at around 50 pct, you can't let him be your primary ball handler in crunch time.

If teams don't respect your shot just a little bit, you don't penetrate and dish. Landry didn't penetrate and dish at HP. He did bring the ball up the floor, but immediately handed it off and watched the other guys play.

My guess, he'll look a lot like Lopez. He'll come in a few games when Golden is struggling, handle the ball pretty well and stay in front of his guy for a few trips down the floor. There'll be folks who say, "wow, that kid needs more minutes. He's a true PG." Then, like Lopez, he'll go back to the bench when Golden finds his shot again.
Landry was doing exactly what his coach asked him to.
Same at Bob Jones when he was scoring 10 a game and averaging 4 assists.
He does what's asked of him.

Landry was doing exactly what his coach asked him to.
Same at Bob Jonefs when he was scoring 10 a game and averaging 4 assists.
He does what's asked of him.

Surely his coach didn't ask him to shoot FGs in the low 20s and fts around 50 pct.

No matter your role or what the coach is asking, that's just basic basketball skill.

if he was truly 2-29 from 3, he is passing because he can't shoot for ****.

That makes Jordan Howell's last half of his sr year look like all sec numbers.

Surely his coach didn't ask him to shoot FGs in the low 20s and fts around 50 pct.

No matter your role or what the coach is asking, that's just basic basketball skill.
True.
Don't think he or Thompson are the answer this coming season anyway.
Martin needs to land a play ready JUCO.
Be a repeat of last 2 seasons if he doesn't.

according to this fella...Landry will be pimping the orange and white next season.

Tennessee basketball signee update: Travon Landry | Nooga.com

The odd man out wonÂ’t be three-star point guard signee Travon Landry, according to Rob Fulford, who coached Landry at Huntington (W.V) Prep in 2012-13.

“There is no change on Travon,” Fulford said in an emailed statement to Nooga.com, when asked if anything had changed since Landry signed his letter of intent to attend UT in November. “Travon is a competitor and has played with pros all year here.”

according to this fella...Landry will be pimping the orange and white next season.

Tennessee basketball signee update: Travon Landry | Nooga.com

The odd man out wonÂ’t be three-star point guard signee Travon Landry, according to Rob Fulford, who coached Landry at Huntington (W.V) Prep in 2012-13.

“There is no change on Travon,” Fulford said in an emailed statement to Nooga.com, when asked if anything had changed since Landry signed his letter of intent to attend UT in November. “Travon is a competitor and has played with pros all year here.”

Deja vu???

Agree. He may be interjecting his opinion or taking defense of his guy, but his opinion on this matter carries as much weight as yours or mine.

A little more weight. He has a larger platform as the coach of an elite prep school. He has the ear of guys like Telep, Evan Daniels, Jeff Goodman, etc. so he can raise a stink.

A little more weight. He has a larger platform as the coach of an elite prep school. He has the ear of guys like Telep, Evan Daniels, Jeff Goodman, etc. so he can raise a stink.

I thought about that too as I was typing it. I may have worded it wrong. He obviously has more influence than your average Joe, but in the end, I doubt it will affect Tennessee's decision to keep or cut bait with Landry.

if he was truly 2-29 from 3, he is passing because he can't shoot for ****.

That makes Jordan Howell's last half of his sr year look like all sec numbers.

2-29
What's that? 1.5 shots a game.
If that was all McBee took he'd a been ofer 100 career.

Last edited:
No. 34% would be 4x better.
Why would anyone try and rationalize 2-29.
Because you're judging him off a bad fit and a bad season.
He shot 35% from 3 and 72% from the line at BJ.
Should have stayed there.
Didn't fit the system at HP.

a system wont make his 3pt percentage drop 28%, especially with a school made for players going to college

Reactions: 1 person

Calban, where did you get his BJHS stats. I looked all over. I did find several game reports on al.com and didn't see more than 4 double figure games. I would hsve guessed hom averaging 7 or 8. To be sure, that sample probably represented 2/3rds of their games. Two other kids seemed to carry the load there. If he averaged 72 pct from the line, that was significantly better than the soph year in TX - 61 - and last summer in EYBL - 51 pct. that would be encouraging.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back