2012 College Baseball Thread

This is without a doubt the best gator team ever.

They have to do it on the field and prove it, but there are no holes

Don't disagee this being the best Gators team ever.

But I do dsagree with no holes if that's another way of saying no weaknesses.
Outside of the CSF TItans they haven't played anyone major. I don't count the Hurricanes because that is a team that has been choking.

Let's see how well they play when division games start.

Midweek dominance | Perfect Game USA

The Volunteers have picked a bad time to go into a slump, losing their third-straight contest on Tuesday in a disappointing 5-1 loss to Tennessee Tech at home. The Vols didn't pitch badly in the game, but were stymied offensively by TTU starting pitcher Seth Lucio. Lucio struck out 11 Vols and allowed just a run and five hits in 8 1/3 innings of work.

BASEBALL RESULTS 3/13

Georgia 8, Alcorn State 5

Vanderbilt 12, Siena 2

Kentucky 9, Wright State 1

Arkansas 1, Gonzaga 0

South Carolina 5, Charleston Southern 2

Alabama 8, Southern Miss 3

Tennessee Tech 5, Tennessee 1

Southeastern Louisiana 4, Mississippi State 3

Florida 9, Florida State 2

Louisville 4, Ole Miss 3

Auburn at South Alabama, ppd.

Don't disagee this being the best Gators team ever.

But I do dsagree with no holes if that's another way of saying no weaknesses.
Outside of the CSF TItans they haven't played anyone major. I don't count the Hurricanes because that is a team that has been choking.

Let's see how well they play when division games start.

no matter what rationale you choose, not including miami as someone "major" is humorous.

the whole being ranked in the top 10 thing is meaningless i suppose.

as of 3/14, florida has played 16 games. 8 games were against teams that are ranked. florida is 7-1 in those games.

and as i assume you follow baseball a lot, these small schools from florida, california, and texas, that no one has ever heard of usually have pretty good baseball talent.

having said all that, yes, they will be judged by conference play and postseason play

Last edited:
no matter what rationale you choose, not including miami as someone "major" is humorous.

the whole being ranked in the top 10 thing is meaningless i suppose.

as of 3/14, florida has played 16 games. 8 games were against teams that are ranked. florida is 7-1 in those games.

and as i assume you follow baseball a lot, these small schools from florida, california, and texas, that no one has ever heard of usually have pretty good baseball talent.

having said all that, yes, they will be judged by conference play and postseason play

Maybe because major teams don't choke repeatedly like the Canes did.

Maybe because major teams don't choke repeatedly like the Canes did.

Maybe your definition of choke is different than mine. A coach that has been to 11CWS in his 19 year tenure doesn't fit my definition and I didn't even mention 2 national titles.

Now look at Candy and you will find a team that chokes when it matters the most. Before last year that was the most to do about nothing program I can remember.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Maybe your definition of choke is different than mine. A coach that has been to 11CWS in his 19 year tenure doesn't fit my definition and I didn't even mention 2 national titles.

Now look at Candy and you will find a team that chokes when it matters the most. Before last year that was the most to do about nothing program I can remember.

Correction....Clemson.
Second choice, any team ever coached by Jack "The Genius" Leggett

Correction....Clemson.
Second choice, any team ever coached by Jack "The Genius" Leggett

Frye if you haven't had the chance to watch leggett and corbin in person you need to. They are identical twins. They run, hit fungo, and act exactly the same. Its comical the similarities and I haven't even mentioned the post season woes!

I'm talking about this year. I'm not disputing that Canes have been a terrific winning team in College Baseball, and when I say choking I mean as in this season where they were unable to protect leads that included game 3 vs the Gators.

I'm talking about this year. I'm not disputing that Canes have been a terrific winning team in College Baseball, and when I say choking I mean as in this season where they were unable to protect leads that included game 3 vs the Gators.

My mistake. I didn't realize they led in all 3 games.

My mistake. I didn't realize they led in all 3 games.

Not sure about all 3 games but a comment I read on NCAA Baseball Rivals message boards another choke job by the Hurricanes.

This weekend.

South Carolina vs Kentucky First weekend of division games the Undefeated Wildcats play the Defending World Series Champs the Gamecocks. A chance to make a statment in the first weekend of division games after playing cupcakes.
Vandy vs Florida Two teams in opposite places. Vandy is going to have play great to win a series in the Swamp. If not I think the Gators win in dominating wins by 8 or more runs.

Is there an SEC game on TV tonight? I can't find one listed.

Edit. USCe vs KY is on CSS which I don't have.

Last edited:
Its time to give the Cats some credit. Great comeback.

Its growing old seeing the gamecocks always in the middle of a squabble with an opponent.

Its time to give the Cats some credit. Great comeback.

Its growing old seeing the gamecocks always in the middle of a squabble with an opponent.

Yes it is impressive but I think Wildcats fans will still cautiously optimistic. 2007 and 2008 they also started 19-0. FOr some reason the Gamecocks have problems when they play on the road.

But that's the Gamecocks style.

A heartbreaker for Vandy. For 4 innings they contained the Gators onslaught offense leading them 2-0. But it was futile with the Gators scoring 3 to take a 3-2 lead, and the wheels came off with the Gators continue to score while Vandy could not score more losing 10-2.

For the 2nd straight day the Wildcats beat the Gamecocks 4-3 but this time they didn't have to come back late in the game to imrpove to 20-0. A chance tommorow to sweep the defending Champs.
The Gators take the series from Vandy winning 5-1 in game two.

Its only 2 games old but I am going to adjust my thinking on a few teams. Kentucky has proven enough to me this weekend that they are going to be a solid qualifier for Hoover. Auburn another team that will have to sweat making it had a big road win today. Bama and the Vols are the 2 teams that won't make it to Hoover IMO.

A miserable weekend for Vandy as Florida completes the sweep 8-2. A game that Vandy never lead, When they finally did score they were already down by 5 runs. Moral victory runs for Vandy.

Joining a 0-3 start what will likely be talked about is the UK Wildcats sweeping the Defending Champs the Gamecocks 6-3. Both had 11 hits, and 1 error for the Wildcats. A new Record for the Wildcats 21-0.

A nailbiter with The Auburn Tigers leading the Ol Miss Rebels 3-2 in the top of the 9th.

MState Bulldogs embarassed the LSU Tigers on the road winning 7-1. 5 runs scored in first inning. While The LSU Tigers were able to outhit the Bulldogs by one 10-9 no doubt the 3 execrable errors were to much for the Tigers to overcome even at home.

Vandy beat the UG Dawgs 5-3 to win the series winning two of three. Major wins needed after getting embarassed by the Number 1 Gators on the road. So the UG Dawgs are able to beat one team from the State of Tennessee but unable to doing it again.
It's a unideal start with the Gamecocks losing 2 of 3 to the Gators, and are 1-5 in the SEC. It is early but still a unideal start for the defending Champs.

While the Tide are no longer winless they still lost the series to the OlMiss Rebels in game 3 8-4. While both had one error the Rebels hugely outhit the Tide 16 to 5.

For the SEC East
Florida 5-1
UK 5-1
Georgia 3-3
Tennessee 2-4
Vandy 2-4
South Carolina 1-5

It looks it could be a 2 team race in the SEC East. The Georgia Bulldogs have a slim lead, and while the Gamecocks are off to a crappy start they are still not that far behind the Tennessee, and Vandy.

So much for the Rebels leading the Gators. A titanic 8th inning for the Gators scoring 6 runs. Gators 8-3 in the Bottom of the 8th.

Saturday Results

LSU beats Arkansas 2-1
UF beats Ole Miss 9-4
Vandy beats SC 12-4
UK beats UGA 9-8 (split series so far)
Auburn beats MSU 10-6

Sunday Results

The Gators lose the series to the Rebels losing to the Rebels 7-6 on a throwing error.
LSU Tigers beat the Hogs 3-2 in 11 innings
Auburn Tigers beat MS Dawgs 8-2
Kentucky Wildcats convincely beat the UG Dawgs 11-2 First series win for the Wildcats since 2000
Gamecocks get a major win beating Vandy in 13 innings 6-4

So horrid day for both Bulldogs teams in the SEC both lost, and both only scored 2 runs.

No April Fools 60 percent of the first half of division series are over, and the standings are for the SEC East.

UK Wildcats 7-2
UF Gators 6-3
UT Vols 5-4
UG Dawgs 4-5
SC Gamecocks 3-6
Vandy 3-6

VN Store

Back