'18 TN OL Jerome Carvin (UT signee)

Wells, being from Tennessee, selling Tennessee to the OL is huge. "I want to build this OL with Tennessee boys...."

I just see it is a big state pride selling point, when you are from TN

Reactions: 4 people
When it comes to this above average ol class i tend to agree.

Gasp.

200w.gif

Reactions: 4 people
From AU site:

Cordova, Tenn., offensive lineman Jerome Carvin was greeted by Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn on Saturday on his first trip to the school.

The 6-foot-4, 330-pound Carvin was in Auburn for the spring game.

"As soon as I walked in, I met with Coach Malzahn," Carvin said. "We went into his office and we talked for a little bit. He said I'm a priority."

Auburn is recruiting Carvin as a guard.

"Definitely, I'd fit in," Carvin said. "They run a similar offense at my high school, so it's pretty much the same thing so I'm used to it already."

Carvin made the trip with his mother and felt pretty good about the entire visit.

"The visit really stood out," he said. "Just viewing the campus, seeing how close everything is, it was great."

Carvin said he plans to get back to Alabama for a practice, and it could be later this week. Alabama has also been a school Carvin is heavily interested in.

Carvin said last month that he plans to make a commitment before his senior year, and said Saturday that nothing about his timetable has changed.
Kentucky, Louisville and Tennessee are among other offers for Carvin, a three-star recruit in the 247Sports composite.

"The visit really stood out," he said. "Just viewing the campus, seeing how close everything is, it was great."

close, as in there is nothing do, and the town doesn't even exist in the summer when students leave.

Visiting for O&W game...

Another key visitor for the spring game will be Carvin. With Max Wray trending elsewhere, Tennessee will up the ante on Carvin, as this is shaping up to be another battle with Alabama (he’s going to Tuscaloosa this weekend) for an in-state OT.

-VQ

Reactions: 8 people
The OL talent in Tennessee is incredible.

That hudl may include the worst HS football competition I've ever seen.

They actually play some of the better teams in the area, East, Whitehaven, and White Station all produce D1 talent every year.

They actually play some of the better teams in the area, East, Whitehaven, and White Station all produce D1 talent every year.

I assume those teams weren't heavily featured in the highlights. I don't know how good those teams are, Tennessee HS football is foreign to me but I've seen very few DEs that small since the 1930s when I was a kid.

I assume those teams weren't heavily featured in the highlights. I don't know how good those teams are, Tennessee HS football is foreign to me but I've seen very few DEs that small since the 1930s when I was a kid.

Cordova annually plays most of the suburban teams- Houston, Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, and Arlington. When these teams are good, it's because they play team football and usually don't have elite talent. Arlington has been on the rise for several years.

I don't know if they play every year, but last year Cordova played East, White Station, and Whitehaven. As the poster above said, these teams produce D1 talent on an annual basis. Whitehaven has probably been the best team instate the last 5-10 years. I know an assistant at Whitehaven, and they are producing talent every year, especially on defense. He also coaches middle school and is always telling me about kids coming up. Looks like Cordova's only 2 losses last year were to Whitehaven.

Cordova annually plays most of the suburban teams- Houston, Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, and Arlington. When these teams are good, it's because they play team football and usually don't have elite talent. Arlington has been on the rise for several years.

I don't know if they play every year, but last year Cordova played East, White Station, and Whitehaven. As the poster above said, these teams produce D1 talent on an annual basis. Whitehaven has probably been the best team instate the last 5-10 years. I know an assistant at Whitehaven, and they are producing talent every year, especially on defense. He also coaches middle school and is always telling me about kids coming up. Looks like Cordova's only 2 losses last year were to Whitehaven.

Do you know if these teams play out of state? I saw a team from Tennessee on national television two years ago but the name eludes me. Being from D.C./Maryland I used to think Tennessee was a huge state, I was surprised to learn it's smaller than Alabama, Arkansas, Virginia, Ohio, and Mississippi - but the talent seems to be exploding. Interestingly it's more than 4 times the size of Maryland but has nearly the same population - here the best talent is almost always on the same field because 120 schools are within 40 minutes of one another. I'd love to see the best in Maryland, like Dematha, get to play one of the big boys in Tennessee and see how they compare. In Maryland/DC the good programs are almost exclusively private schools, public school football in the area is just awful, the kids like Ronald Darby practice in the hallway of their school.

Every year Tennessee appears to be moving up into a tier that won't allow you to exclusively recruit the state, but you can compete for titles with half of your class from Tennessee. From the outside it appears that Nashville is booming (a friend of mine is on the show Nashville and says it's, without question, the best place in the world) but I know squat about the state, I go to Knoxville and head back home. Knoxville hooters on Halloween was spectacular.

Do you know if these teams play out of state? I saw a team from Tennessee on national television two years ago but the name eludes me. Being from D.C./Maryland I used to think Tennessee was a huge state, I was surprised to learn it's smaller than Alabama, Arkansas, Virginia, Ohio, and Mississippi - but the talent seems to be exploding. Interestingly it's more than 4 times the size of Maryland but has nearly the same population - here the best talent is almost always on the same field because 120 schools are within 40 minutes of one another. I'd love to see the best in Maryland, like Dematha, get to play one of the big boys in Tennessee and see how they compare. In Maryland/DC the good programs are almost exclusively private schools, public school football in the area is just awful, the kids like Ronald Darby practice in the hallway of their school.

Every year Tennessee appears to be moving up into a tier that won't allow you to exclusively recruit the state, but you can compete for titles with half of your class from Tennessee. From the outside it appears that Nashville is booming (a friend of mine is on the show Nashville and says it's, without question, the best place in the world) but I know squat about the state, I go to Knoxville and head back home. Knoxville hooters on Halloween was spectacular.

Tennessee high school football is getting better because of the Nashville area but places like Knoxville are still behind on talent and one main thing that brings Knoxville high school football down is the coaching most of these guys are trying to live their glory days through the players and don't understand how to get them better because bthey only teach what they were good at in high school

Reactions: 1 person

The midstate area is exploding, and one reason is for the population boom. Having a pro team now has also helped with teaching the game. I don't know the midstate that well however.

Whitehaven is an inter city school in Memphis, but they are producing a lot of talent. They have played some out of state schools the last few years, and I believe they did a home and home with a power house in Florence, Alabama.

The local private schools will have someone every couple of years.

Tennessee high school football is getting better because of the Nashville area but places like Knoxville are still behind on talent and one main thing that brings Knoxville high school football down is the coaching most of these guys are trying to live their glory days through the players and don't understand how to get them better because bthey only teach what they were good at in high school

If East Tenessee has lesser talent and coaching, then why do teams in that area win so many state championships? Honest question. Maryville, Alcoa, CAK, Knoxville West, are some schools I remember winning lately, plus teams like Greenback, Coalfield, and Knoxville Central were in the championship game too.

If East Tenessee has lesser talent and coaching, then why do teams in that area win so many state championships? Honest question. Maryville, Alcoa, CAK, Knoxville West, are some schools I remember winning lately, plus teams like Greenback, Coalfield, and Knoxville Central were in the championship game too.

Coalfield has always dominated 1-A most of those schools just got good these past 2-3 years (Knox west has had that coach for a long time but just recently became good) Maryville idk how they're going to be with the new coach and Alcoa has the best coach in East Tennessee now

As far as Memphis goes, Whitehaven produces the most D1 talent, it's not even close, MUS usually produces 1-2 a year. The Memphis area produces a ton of NAIA-FCS kids but typically only 10 or 12 FBS kids with half of those being power 5 talents. You just have to remember lots of people are moving to the Nashville area, nobody is moving to the Memphis area. Also the rest of west Tennessee there isn't a school that produces consistent next level talent, just one here and there. Trey Smith's old school USJ actually has QB, Jacob Buie, that jumped from unranked to a 3 star recently, he will probably not be a power 5 kid but definitely FBS.

The problem with the talent surge in Middle TN (from a fan point anyway) is that it isn't all necessarily home grown talent. Fans seem to have a hard time understanding that. A lot of these young people, even though they grew up here, did not grow up UT fans. They are from families that moved here from somewhere else and are fans of other college teams.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot more home grown talent in TN too, but not all of it. My personal opinion is that the talent increase in TN in home grown kids is also due to the fact that we have young men coming from talent rich states raising the level of competition in TN. That's a good thing IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
Coalfield has always dominated 1-A most of those schools just got good these past 2-3 years (Knox west has had that coach for a long time but just recently became good) Maryville idk how they're going to be with the new coach and Alcoa has the best coach in East Tennessee now

Gonna disagree about coalfield. South pitt has coalfield's # and has for a long time. Sp is the only school in the state to go to the playoffs every decade since they started it in 69. You can't ever count sp out of it. Grider has done a great job with the kids there. Enrollment numbers are like 250ish grades 7-12

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Are the "NPA" relationships more significant than the high school relationships in Tennessee? In this area most of Baltimore hates Maryland, Georgetown always hated our biggest program Dematha, and then the high school coaches think they need to be recruited if you want to recruit their kids.

A lot of states, again including Maryland, are going to attempt to recreate an IMG type of program but just for football, that will be St Frances in Maryland, a school that has played a game at Michigan already, has its former coach at Michigan, has the brother of Michigans coach assisting efforts in the Baltimore area, and the son of the coach they took from St Frances is at Michigan - a reason rules have changed but what Michigan is doing in Maryland obliterates what they had done with camps/hiring fathers of prospects.

Back to the Tennessee talent, what is most impressive about this years group is that you could get an entire front 4 on the Dline as well as an entire offensive line class right out of Tennessee. But I believe I read the Wray family, as was eluded to above, is a family new to the Nashville area? So the loyalty isn't there yet, but it should be an incredible source of talent in the years to come.

Something else interesting about Tennessee is how close Memphis is to other schools. There's a lot of talent but it does seem like a tough landscape for recruiting right now with so many years of coaching turnover, Memphis being closer to other SEC programs, NPA being another entity you need to get in good with and all HS coaches have some ego. Not to mention the newspapers in Tennessee aren't as friendly as those in other states.

The lessons on who is who and the strengths of Tennessee HS football are appreciated. I hope there is a game on this year, a few years ago they had a profile on Josh Malones school (showed summer practices and some film of Josh flying around the field, I think it was called "Hell Week") and I'm pretty sure they played Hurds team on espn. The best game I saw, and I'm not 100% certain but I believe a team from Tennessee (with RB named Ferby) beat Trinity on ESPN, I'm fairly certain Trinity (Kentucky) was 1 or 2 in the country; the game was incredible.

VN Store

Back