'18 TN OL Jerome Carvin (UT signee)

"This will be my first time in Knoxville," Carvin said. "We are going to see all they have to offer. Like facility wise, and weight room wise. Just see what they offer academically and how their coaches and players are."

Carvin is trained by former Vol Marlon Walls. The two have a really good relationship, and the VFL has made his intentions known to Carvin. "He tells me all the things about Tennessee," Carvin said. "Just how he enjoyed it. The memories he had and I think it's a great time. I want to witness it for myself and I'm looking forward to it."

"Coach Wells is a great guy," Carvin said. "Every day he texts me and says good morning and checks on me. We have a great relationships through our phone calls,. We have great relationships. I'm really looking forward to meeting him and maybe working with him."

"I finish everything I do," Carvin said. "I finish my blocks with run blocking or pass blocking. I think I'm a versatile player and just a good overall player. In college, I think maybe I'll play tackle, but I'm most likely going to start my career at guard."

"Academics is first," Carvin said. "Second would be the relationships with the coaches. I want to go somewhere that feels like home. Third would be a great strength and conditioning program. After that is playing time because I know if I put the work in, I'll earn my playing time."

-VQ

Reactions: 3 people
Let's just get our entire OL class in state this year. This guy, Ollie, Cade, Iyama and if Wray wants in

The state of Tennessee is producing more talent than it has every before if we could sign 15 out of the top 20 these days we would have a elite team look at the top 20 in state recruits the last 3 years and if we could have signed 15 of them we would be a elite team now you got to coach the talent.

The state of Tennessee is producing more talent than it has every before if we could sign 15 out of the top 20 these days we would have a elite team look at the top 20 in state recruits the last 3 years and if we could have signed 15 of them we would be a elite team now you got to coach the talent.

I have constantly heard that the state is producing more talent each year. but actually this year is on average about 1 point behind last year. in your above scenario this year that average would be 90.67 vs 91.62 last year.

of course rankings are fluid, but at least this year the state is actually producing less talented players.

Tennessee is hosting West Tennessee prospect Jerome Carvin on Friday. The offensive lineman is 6-4, 305 pounds and his stock seems to be on the rise. It will be interesting to see how Walt Wells manages his offensive line recruiting given that it's likely that three is the number of spots he's working with. That number could always change as the class comes together this summer and fall.

-Hubbs

Reactions: 2 people
No matter who the Vols end up with in this recruiting class on the offensive line, it's going to be a really, really good group.

Lane?

I think Wells gets the green light on 4 lineman this year.

Who knows, Wray may be back in play?

"It was amazing," Carvin said. "It was my first time in Knoxville and it started with a trip through the facility and then to the media area where they have signing day. We went down to the stadium and then toured the campus. It was great."

It was also his first time meeting new offensive line coach Walt Wells. The two have been messaging back and forth since Wells took over just a few weeks ago. Friday was a good chance to feel each other out and see what they liked about each other. "It was great to see he is the same person he is on the phone," Carvin said. "He is a real funny guy and is always telling jokes and laughing. I like coach Wells. He is a great guy."

It was also a good chance to meet Tennessee head coach Butch Jones, who always leaves an impression on recruits. "That was impressive," Carvin said. "It was awesome talking to him. He was rocking his (Michael) Jordan's. He was just telling me how it's important for Tennessee players to stay in state. How they can turn it around with Tennessee kids."

"They took me down to see Rock and that was the highlight of the visit," Carvin said. "He was telling me all the things he has done and his resume speaks for itself. He really knows what he is doing and it was great to have a conversation with him. "They will get you ready to go against guys in the SEC. The SEC is the most dominant league in college football and you are going to go against some monsters. I'm most likely going to be going against future NFL players each play so you have to get your body ready for that."

"Tennessee has improved in my eyes," Carvin said. "They told me how I can impact their program. Coach Wells and I watched film together. I had an amazing time." Carvin plans on taking several more trips this spring and summer. He has been flooded with offers since the start of February and while it's a great thing, he also has more to think about. "I'm going to try and make it back for spring practice or the spring game."

-VQ

Reactions: 6 people
Mays, Iyama, Carvin....done...amazing in state haul

Mays, Iyama, and Lane is what I'm thinking, I know Wray has a spot if he wanted it and I'm not sure we could turn down Carvin, it's s good problem to have and will be interesting to watch.

My dream scenario for this class on the O-line is Wray and Mays at tackle with Lane and Carvin at guard. That would be a nasty group of Tennesseans.

It will be interesting to see how Walt Wells manages his offensive line recruiting given that it's likely that three is the number of spots he's working with. That number could always change as the class comes together this summer and fall.

We only signed 3 OLmen last year and with just 10 non-seniors on the the '17 roster (including converted TE Brooks), I think (hope) we'll sign at least 4 in '18. I could see Tanner Antonutti being one of them.

We've recently paid a heavy price for insufficient OL recruiting and I never again want to see us with such a dearth of OL quality & quantity, struggling to cobble together a halfway decent line. Injuries played a big role in that but we simply haven't had enough SEC-caliber players.

Reactions: 1 person
We only signed 3 OLmen last year and with just 10 non-seniors on the the '17 roster (including converted TE Brooks), I think (hope) we'll sign at least 4 in '18. I could see Tanner Antonutti being one of them.

We've recently paid a heavy price for insufficient OL recruiting and I never again want to see us with such a dearth of OL quality & quantity, struggling to cobble together a halfway decent line. Injuries played a big role in that but we simply haven't had enough SEC-caliber players.

Agreed. Ideally I would like us to recruit 4 OL a year. That would give us 16-18 OL on the roster at any given year when you take into consideration red shirts, transfers, and people leaving early

I forgot about Antonutti, gonna be hard to pick 4.

And room for Wray if we can get him. Have to think about his brother, too, who may end up being better than Max, and he's already a top 100 prospect (#4 OT on 247).

Cannot pass on that package deal. Starting to look like a luxury problem for 18' OL recruiting

VN Store

Back