'18 GA QB Emory Jones (Ohio State commit)

Back then they didn't put a number...blue star was the highest level. Both Peyton and Branndon achieved that. Kendra was considered the top QB because he was the Parade and USA Today Offensive Player of the Year...and on the first team.

I wasn't old enough to remember but I thought it was blue chip?

Reactions: 1 person
Remember when Peyton Manning and Brandon Stewart came they were #1 and #2 Qbs, in fact I still remember a commentator (can not remember who) said some thought Manning was only ranked higher because of last name of course we know that was wrong.

Clausen and Rattay were both top 10 QBs in the same class as well.

You mean his older brother Josh Booty. I think he was in the class following Peyton. The 93 top QB was Dan Kendra who signed with Florida State (and blew up his dorm room). He ended up making the NFL as a teammate of Manning...as a fullback.

You are correct I got my Booty's mixed up. They were the top 2 in 94 a year after Kendra.

You are correct I got my Booty's mixed up. They were the top 2 in 94 a year after Kendra.

I was wrong too. Josh was in the class before Peyton and Kendra. John David was 2003. That family did their own thing.

The top-100 sophomore quarterback from Heard County High School in Franklin, Ga., said Tennessee is his current leader among the five schools that have extended offers to him, and he’s already “leaning toward” committing to the Vols in the not-too-distant future — perhaps “by the end of the summer.”

“I’ve been leaning toward me committing soon,” said Jones, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 66 overall prospect and No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the 2018 class. “When I went up there, it just surprised me. The whole school just surprised me. I just loved it there.”

“I connected real well with (quality control assistant Nick) Sheridan, (offensive coordinator Mike) DeBord and Coach Jones. I talked to them a lot,” said Emory Jones. “They say I’ll fit in their offense perfect. I connected with all the coaches real well. I mean, I love everything about the school.”

“I might be (ready to commit then), but I really was thinking about by the end of the summer,” Jones said. “But it’s just, like, whatever happens.”

“I’m probably going to Georgia in two weeks,” he said Sunday. “It’s probably going to be before I go to Tennessee.”

- 247 (Callahan)

Reactions: 4 people
Interesting fact on how our coaches connected with him early/quickly:

He said he has developed strong relationships with Sheridan and DeBord, who have natural connections to Jones. His cousin, Carlos Brown, is a former Michigan running back who played alongside Sheridan with the Wolverines in 2006-09. DeBord also was Michigan’s offensive coordinator during the first two years of Brown’s college career.

Reactions: 2 people
Volunteer Classic notes...

"2018 quarterback Emory Jones was on hand and he has a really nice arm. He has the size, too. Probably a little under 6-3, but he's a big kid. He wasn't the most accurate quarterback at the event (That award went to Stanford quarterback commitment Davis Mills who is a great player), but Jones made a lot of throws only an elite quarterback can make. I really liked his game.

As for his recruitment, after talking with him I think Tennessee is the clear team to beat. The Vols are recruiting him the hardest and he feels like he has the strongest connection with Tennessee's staff among anyone else recruiting him. He added he could see himself making a decision soon and that would be good news for Tennessee."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 7 people
Early QB commitments are great but please remember, Hunter committed early and that didn't last. Just sayin'.

“He is truly a dual-threat guy,” Heard County coach Tim Barron said. “He’s a guy that can do things with his legs but he’s not married to just moving the ball with his feet. He’s a guy that if he needed to stand in the pocket and sling it around a little bit, he could. He’s athletic enough to get out of trouble and he’s a guy that you can do a lot of the zone read stuff with.”

...Heard County’s offense played about 70 percent out of the I-formation and used play-action, but Barron said will be playing more out of the shotgun this coming season to fit personnel.

Jones last season passed for 1,213 yards with 14 touchdowns and five interceptions and rushed for 293 yards and two touchdowns on 65 carries.

UGA's scholarship offer to 2018 dual-threat QB shows Kirby Smart open to different styles at position

Last edited:
- 247 (Callahan)

Interesting fact on how our coaches connected with him early/quickly:

Volunteer Classic notes...

"2018 quarterback Emory Jones was on hand and he has a really nice arm. He has the size, too. Probably a little under 6-3, but he's a big kid. He wasn't the most accurate quarterback at the event (That award went to Stanford quarterback commitment Davis Mills who is a great player), but Jones made a lot of throws only an elite quarterback can make. I really liked his game.

As for his recruitment, after talking with him I think Tennessee is the clear team to beat. The Vols are recruiting him the hardest and he feels like he has the strongest connection with Tennessee's staff among anyone else recruiting him. He added he could see himself making a decision soon and that would be good news for Tennessee."

- Fortenberry

So since he was at Volunteer classic, any pics of him visiting while here? I noticed Lawrence visited and had pic with family is why I ask.

So since he was at Volunteer classic, any pics of him visiting while here? I noticed Lawrence visited and had pic with family is why I ask.

I think Lawrence was here solely for a visit and not the 7-on-7 unlike Cam Akers who was in for the 7-on-7 but got a visit in while he was close to campus.

“I love all the coaches there. I love coach (Butch) Jones, coach (Nick) Sheridan, coach (Mike) DeBord. I’ve been talking to them daily,” Jones said Saturday at the Volunteer Classic 7-on-7 event. “It’s a great educational school. I love the program there and I think they are on to something great right now.”

“They told me if I was to commit I would be the only 2018 quarterback they would take and that I’m their guy and the offense is handmade for me.”

-Rivals (Fortenberry)

Sounds like he could pull the trigger soon. I'm fine with that but it's a loooong way until NSD 2018

Reactions: 3 people
-Rivals (Fortenberry)

Sounds like he could pull the trigger soon. I'm fine with that but it's a loooong way until NSD 2018

I would LOVE to just take him and call it a day at Qb!!
I picture and RG 3 type player in him. At least comparing him in college. I am sure RG just needed a new coach, so will be interesting to see how he does in Cleveland which can present it's own difficulties though.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to just take him and call it a day at Qb!!
I picture and RG 3 type player in him. At least comparing him in college. I am sure RG just needed a new coach, so will be interesting to see how he does in Cleveland which can present it's own difficulties though.

I'm fine with him or Lawrence. I just hope whichever it is takes a leadership role and start recruiting others to Tennessee hard. We never saw that with Johnson and we kinda see why

Reactions: 1 person
I'm fine with him or Lawrence. I just hope whichever it is takes a leadership role and start recruiting others to Tennessee hard. We never saw that with Johnson and we kinda see why

Just watched his film and I'm with you - Jones looks good and so does Lawrence. We'll be in good shape with either one!

Nothing against this kid, I'm sure he is a good kid and a good player.

I want Lawrence. He is the best High School QB in the country right now for any class IMO and could compete on several division 1 Power 5 rosters. He isn't just elite. He is superior to the elite. Whoever gets him will draw the attention of other superior high school receivers, running backs, and linemen to make an offense Tennessee hasn't seen in years (Around 20 to be exact).

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back