'18 GA DL Kurott Garland (Tennessee signee)

Same school as the unranked receiver we offered as well.

Could these be PWO offers?

I'm wondering as well. I get nervous when I start seeing threads at the top of the RF for players we haven't mentioned before. Especially if they play a position we thought we were good at. Makes me wonder if we struck out with somebody we were counting on. Then again I'm pessimistic by nature.

Good player. Under the radar here in GA. Better LB prospect IMO.

I was told that the UT offer is a grey shirt.

Auburn was also in to see him today.

GT also showing interest.

Reactions: 1 person
Good player. Under the radar here in GA. Better LB prospect IMO.

I was told that the UT offer is a grey shirt.

Auburn was also in to see him today.

GT also showing interest.

Not sure why we would take a spot from the 2019 class, when it’s obvious that we will be in a spot to land a huge class.

The best recruiter we have can’t make but one in home visit a year now. Next year will be a development year for our coaches with respect to recruiting. Have to fill the shortfall gap now.

The best recruiter we have can’t make but one in home visit a year now. Next year will be a development year for our coaches with respect to recruiting. Have to fill the shortfall gap now.

we cant keep digging. thats what got us here in the first place

Offer 2 days after OV, when no other schools have visited or hosted him, sure says we like him.

Interesting that he's a classmate of Young's, and apparently a UT-only or first discovery, like Young.

Offer 2 days after OV, when no other schools have visited or hosted him, sure says we like him.

Interesting that he's a classmate of Young's, and apparently a UT-only or first discovery, like Young.

Yeah, it appears their coaches havent really done jack to get these guys looked at much, but idk.

Yeah, it appears their coaches havent really done jack to get these guys looked at much, but idk.

I believe I read that his team has been through 3 coaches in 3 years. The new coach may not have had time to fully evaluate, much less promote his players.

I believe I read that his team has been through 3 coaches in 3 years. The new coach may not have had time to fully evaluate, much less promote his players.

This is probably the best explanation.

Crazy thing is...you look at the film there are still other guys standing out on that team.

This Garland kid is a Power 5 prospect easy. He's frame is still slender at 250.
Oustanding lower body already.
Moves very well. And he has long arms.

This guy can be 270 lbs and ready to contribute on 3rd downs next year.

Georgia as a state is the most talented if you ask me. Because of kids like Garland and Young who are clearly gifted yet are much lower rated. Then you have the 5 stars and 4 stars who do very well. And the SEC and ACC are powered by Georgia quite a bit
. 3 stars in each conference that are starters..

This is probably the best explanation.

Crazy thing is...you look at the film there are still other guys standing out on that team.

This Garland kid is a Power 5 prospect easy. He's frame is still slender at 250.
Oustanding lower body already.
Moves very well. And he has long arms.

This guy can be 270 lbs and ready to contribute on 3rd downs next year.

Georgia as a state is the most talented if you ask me. Because of kids like Garland and Young who are clearly gifted yet are much lower rated. Then you have the 5 stars and 4 stars who do very well. And the SEC and ACC are powered by Georgia quite a bit
. 3 stars in each conference that are starters..

My guess is rocker found this guy and young while he was out of coaching for a while. His son plays hs baseball near this school and he said he spent a lot of time this year watching his son play. Would explain why no schools knew since he didn't have a school to recruit to. He's also the lead recruiter for both.

My guess is rocker found this guy and young while he was out of coaching for a while. His son plays hs baseball near this school and he said he spent a lot of time this year watching his son play. Would explain why no schools knew since he didn't have a school to recruit to. He's also the lead recruiter for both.

Makes sense. I also wondered if propst let them know about him if maybe he knew but your Rocker theory may be right on

Makes sense. I also wondered if propst let them know about him if maybe he knew but your Rocker theory may be right on

I thought about propst too but I noticed rocker was thanked first in Youngs commitment tweet and started researching what he's been doing the past year and it just seems to fit.

He visited last weekend. Vols are recruiting. But I think there are other guys higher than him on the board at that position. This staff really had Jordan Young high on their board. They absolutely fell in love with the guy.

- Hubbs

Earlier this week Tennessee picked up a commitment from a very underrated prospect in Jordan Young from Heritage High School in Conyers, Ga., and Head Coach Jeremy Pruitt and staff may not be finished digging up diamonds in the rough.

Kurott Garland, a teammate of Young at Heritage, has recently picked up a Tennessee offer and officially visited the Vols last week.

The 6’2″ 260 pound defensive lineman is currently unranked by each of the major recruiting services, but Garland doesn’t think twice about it and really he probably wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I love being underrated,” Garland said. “It’s something about the underdog when he proves everybody wrong. It’s straight motivation. It’s a thrill for me because I know who I am. My actions will speak for itself.”

When Garland says his actions speak for themselves, he means it. The 2018 prospect had an eye-catching senior season totaling 125 tackles, 43 tackles-for-loss and an impressive 12.5 sacks.

Garland didn’t take part in any recruiting showcases or camps which has a lot to do with not being ranked by the major recruiting services, but all the time he trusted what his father, Nate Garland, always told him.

“My dad always told me if we build it they will come,” Garland said. “It’s like the Count of Monte Cristo when he was in the dungeon and met the wise teacher that taught him everything and prepared him, that’s my Dad.”

Despite not being able to put four or five stars by his name, Garland built it, and programs are now coming.

Garland has drawn interest from a variety of schools in the last couple of weeks. Georgia Tech, Colorado State, Illinois, FAU and of course Tennessee are among the schools showing interest leading into signing day.

Garland does not expect to announce his school of choice until signing day, but Tennessee and the new coaching staff made a great first impression.

“I love the camaraderie feel UT has,” Garland said. “The coaches made me feel real special kind of as if the President invited you to the White House, and they recognized and appreciate the hard work and focus that you put in on the field and in the classroom.

“Each one of the coaches are like generals that have been through wars taking their countless players through battles on the field. Winning some and losing some all together that is a lot of experience at UT. To tell you the truth that’s the kind of coaches I need to dominate at that next level.”

The Vols are looking to add depth to the defensive line with the 2018 class, and with the likely switch to a 3-4, Garland says Tennessee wants him to play defensive end in their new-look defense.

— Volrecruitingnugs

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back