'18 GA DL Kurott Garland (Tennessee signee)

Exactly.

Pruitt won’t be looking for 245lb “DEs” anymore, he’ll be looking for bigger, more athletic 280lb DTs who can flex out and play a 5 technique. He’ll want bigger, longer guys who can occupy space. Then we’ll have outside linebackers standing up rushing off the edge and play the run/setting the edge.

A guy like Emerson is perfect for JP’s 3-4, is actually a much better fit under Pruitt in the 3-4 than under Lyle in his 4-3

Before his injury, he was losing weight to play strongside DE. He would have ended up getting Kyle Phillipsed imo.

Before his injury, he was losing weight to play strongside DE. He would have ended up getting Kyle Phillipsed imo.

Wouldn’t have been the best thing for him imo. As Hubbs said the other day, his frame easily holds and is suited more for 280lbs than 250-260. I think Emerson will be much better served as a 3-4 “end” than a 4-3 one. Feel bad for Phillips here...criminally mismanaged by being asked to play DT at Tennessee imho.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t have been the best thing for him imo. As Hubbs said the other day, his frame easily holds and is suited more for 280lbs than 250-260. I think Emerson will be much better served as a 3-4 “end” than a 4-3 one. Feel bad for Phillips here...criminally mismanaged by being asked to play DT at Tennessee imho.

I think he’ll be a monster at that spot. I think Kyle Phillips too if his body is up for it.

“it was truly a blessing that tennessee was looking out for us, and they saw me and my potential — coach (jeremy) pruitt and them — and i signed,” said garland. “i guess they really saw how well i fundamentally played with my hands and my pad level and how i explode off the ball, and basically how i carried myself — how i was a very serious individual that was always fixed on winning the game, or at least beating the guy in front of me and making the tackle, making the sack.”

he said he has added at least 15 pounds since signing day, doing “just a bunch of heavy lifting” and “managing what i eat” in an effort to get himself ready to compete for early playing time. He’s still hoping to add a bit more weight this summer — “coach wants me around, like, 285,” he said — but he said he thinks he’s “going to be pretty good starting out.”

garland expects that to pay off on the field. “i think that i should be able to obtain a spot on the field and play this year,” garland said. “but i guess the most important thing i should be focusing on right now is getting the flow of things — how they practice and how they move, how they get started, how they end. That should be what i should focus on, most definitely.”

“they mostly want me playing at, like, d-tackle, and sometimes they’ll probably switch me to, if they’re in a three-man front, probably defensive end or something like that,” he said. “they can probably switch me around, but mostly d-tackle.” that's similar to the role garland played in high school. “we didn’t really have the personnel, so my coach pretty much switched me out all the time,” he said, "and i had play inside as well as outside.”

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back