'18 FL CB Tanner Ingle (UT commit 6/19/17)

It seems like we've recruited far more nickel types the last few years than true outside CB's. It's gotten to the point where they now have to move some of those guys outside like Osborne. I remember him being recruited as a nickel a couple of classes ago. The jury is still out on Shoop. This year will tell the story on him. I just worry that he's simply a bad fit for this program. Who knows, but if anyone on the staff is on the hot seat going into this year it has to be him.

So Bob Shoop became stupid overnight? That doesn't make any sense to me. How is a great DC a bad fit? I think the assistants we've had for the last few years were the "bad fits". But I guess we will see. I hope to hell I'm right, and you're wrong. I just think it's crazy to think a DC who has proven his ability over years, is all of a sudden not good enough.

Reactions: 6 people
So Bob Shoop became stupid overnight? That doesn't make any sense to me. How is a great DC a bad fit? I think the assistants we've had for the last few years were the "bad fits". But I guess we will see. I hope to hell I'm right, and you're wrong. I just think it's crazy to think a DC who has proven his ability over years, is all of a sudden not good enough.
I don't think Shoop was the problem. Combine youth and inexperience because of injuries with assistants that are slow to teach BC of inability or unwillingness. JMO though.

Reactions: 2 people
That's what concerns me. Lack of size and it looks to me like both CB's committed are nickel types. Our need isn't at nickel, I'm actually surprised they are taking 2 of those types in this class. We need guys on the outside with some length and size who can compete with all these big-time SEC WR's. I don't see that at all with Cross or Ingle.
I agree.

well, if we keep getting big time DT/DE's....it may not matter who is on the back end.:)

i do agree, though, it seems we're going after a "type" in this class at CB. good thing about nickel guys is they can provide some flexibility....and if athletic enough, they can play special teams, or move to offense if need be....not saying that's the case here, but guys like this may give them options elsewhere on the roster.

i still want to see some more movement at LB. we need more of those.

I agree on LB recruiting. Not impressive at all. If a guy like Flint is truly near the top of the LB board now then Butch needs to put the hammer down and tell Thig he only gets 1 LB scholarship this year. He's struggling just to get any big time to take visits.

Our defense was pretty good at all levels in 2015 with those same assistants. Look I realize with WM gone he's the easy scape goat for all the defenses ills but there is no way it was all on him. Being a great DC means you are able to adapt to your personnel and coaches. He's even admitted himself publicly he did a poor job of that last year. I hope you're right on everything and I'm wrong on everything, but there is no way he should not be on the hot seat this season after last year's disaster.

Last edited:
Our defense was pretty good at all levels in 2015 with those same assistants. Look I realize with WM gone he's the easy scape goat for all the defenses ills but there is no way it was all on him. Being a great DC means you are able to adapt to your personnel and coaches. He's even admitted himself publicly he did a poor job of that last year. I hope you're right on everything and I'm wrong on everything, but there is no way he should not be on the hot seat this season after last year's disaster.

Our defense was pretty good in the first half of the season despite the losses of JRM, DKjr, and Sutton. It seemed to get steadily worse starting eith TAMU, ehen we had players on both sides of the ball dropping like flies to injuries. And handing the ball to TAMU 7 times due to TOs didn't help the defense either that game. But that game started the decimation of our DTs, starting with O'Brien, and we would lose KMac and Shy over the next 2 games. To make matters worse we were sometimes playing 3rd string LBs behind those DEs that were having to play DT. So for the last 5 games of the season we couldn't stop the run, which meant we had trouble getting offenses into 3rd and long situations, which meant less opportunities for Barnett and Vereen to get after the QB. It also meant we had to walk at least one safety up closer to the LOS, which put even more pressure on a stressed secondary already weakened by injuries. I we don't have a repeat of the injury bug any where near the scale of last season I think this will be a much better defense.

Pardon the typos. Damn tiny keys on these mobils.

Reactions: 5 people
All I will say about this commit is this:

January 12, 2017, Vols offer 3 star CB Jaycee Horn, who was ranked somewhere between 700 and 800.

June 20, 2017, Jaycee Horn is the composite 214 overall player and a 4 star prospect, and the vols are battling Bama for him.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree on LB recruiting. Not impressive at all. If a guy like Flint is truly near the top of the LB board now then Butch needs to put the hammer down and tell Thig he only gets 1 LB scholarship this year. He's struggling just to get any big time to take visits.

yep, that's my concern. we're doing good on the in state guys, and i'm glad for it. but the type of LB's we need aren't in this class in state, and we have to get to the point where we're able to get those kids from the surrounding area in here.

if there's a concern on the recruiting front for me right now, it's that a lot of the momentum being generated is due to the relationships many of these kids already had with each other.

it seems, that w/out that, we do still struggle to get other big time prospects (top 100) to seriously consider us.

again, i'm happy with what i'm seeing, and i think it's extremely important to get the lion's share of this cycle's in state talent, given the overall quality this year....

but....our LB situation isn't great right now, and i don't know that it's going to get better based on how this class is shaping up.

unless they have plans of moving a couple guys in this cycle to LB.......which is possible.:thumbsup:

I guess you think one of the nations best D.C.'s became significantly worse when hired by TN?

Um...no. I think one of the nation's best DCs was hamstrung by a very poor secondary coach, which was made even worse by apparent bad blood and infighting.

Reactions: 1 person

I kind of see both sides of this. I do think 2016 will go down as an aberration for Shoop, but he has admitted he should have done a better job adapting to the players he had to work with as the season went on.

When you see the kind of injuries we had on the DL (specifically at DT), at some point you've gotta realize a big chunk of your base plays and packages become somewhat useless. In a tough situation like we saw in 2016, a great DC will go to the drawing board, ask "what are the guys I have to play with capable of doing well?" and put in some special packages that only ask guys to do things they're capable of executing.

I get that no DC wants to scrap his system, but when you're giving up 400 rushing yards in back to back games, it should become obvious that your players just can't do what you're asking them to do and that it's time to hit the drawing board.

The fact that Shoop has admitted he should have made more adjustments is very telling, IMO. Self awareness is an important trait for coaches. My big question, looking back on the season, is: why he was so hesitant to adapt and make changes during the season?

Was it just a stubborn belief that his system could trump personnel deficiencies?

Did he not want to sacrifice long-term player development in his system for short term results on the field?

Did he not have faith in the staff around him to help him make the necessary changes?

Was he facing pressure from Butch to stay the course?

We'll likely never know unless a few years down the road a memoir is written, but I'd love to know the answers to those questions.

4158521_e797e5de6e9c4bc88094ca35bb5bdd5c.jpg

Weighed in at 5-9, 180 at The Opening Regional Orlando in February. Ran a 4.50 40 & 4.15 shuttle, also recorded a 35" vertical & 34' power ball toss.

Tanner Ingle recently posted a comment on his Twitter feed, “Someone please tell me when height started determining how good you are at football.” It’s not just a Tweet or random comment. It drives the Dr. Phillips defensive back, all 5-foot-10, 185-pounds of him. He’s arguably the best all-around football player in Central Florida and one of the best in the talent-rich state of Florida.

Ingle had an impressive junior season, during which he showed both his defensive prowess along with his athletic skills as a kick returner. He was Dr. Phillips’ fifth-leading tackler, averaging five tackles a game. He also had two interceptions, one of which he returned 105 yards for a touchdown. He had eight pass deflections, 10 tackles for loss and 519 yards in total kickoff- and punt-return yardage. Ingle averaged 19.7 yards on 12 punt returns, 35.2 yards on eight kickoff returns and had six combined return touchdowns.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-recruiting/blog/os-sp-recruiting-insider-chris-hays-tanner-ingle-20170604-story.html

"He made a lot of plays as a sophomore last year," Dr. Phillips coach Rodney Wells said last month. "Now the things he's doing, I hadn't seen done ever before here at Dr. Phillips." Wells refers to Ingle as "an all-around great kid" with great character who is "the epitome of what we try to do" at Dr. Phillips. "He's one of those players that you can't find anywhere else," Green said. "He's rare, he's one of a kind and real explosive. You can put him anywhere and he'll make plays."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/os-hs-tanner-ingle-olympia-dp-1021-20161020-story.html

Reactions: 7 people

Shoop deserves a lot of the blame for some of that vanilla crap I saw us running at times and how our guys don't disguise blitzes. We've got to do better overall. I personally think the LBs aren't coached well though. That position just isn't physical at all at the point of attack. When is the last time a UT LB smacked a blocker in the mouth? Maybe Bituli will be the one to do it but it's ridiculous that our guys didn't make more plays and a guy like Jumper is still starting in Jones Year No.5. Injuries are one thing but he still shouldn't have been the starter by now.

Shoop deserves a lot of the blame for some of that vanilla crap I saw us running at times and how our guys don't disguise blitzes. We've got to do better overall. I personally think the LBs aren't coached well though. That position just isn't physical at all at the point of attack. When is the last time a UT LB smacked a blocker in the mouth? Maybe Bituli will be the one to do it but it's ridiculous that our guys didn't make more plays and a guy like Jumper is still starting in Jones Year No.5. Injuries are one thing but he still shouldn't have been the starter by now.

I'm no fan of the LB coaching we've seen either, really. But Jumper ain't starting this year.

4158521_e797e5de6e9c4bc88094ca35bb5bdd5c.jpg

Weighed in at 5-9, 180 at The Opening Regional Orlando in February. Ran a 4.50 40 & 4.15 shuttle, also recorded a 35" vertical & 34' power ball toss.

Tanner Ingle recently posted a comment on his Twitter feed, “Someone please tell me when height started determining how good you are at football.” It’s not just a Tweet or random comment. It drives the Dr. Phillips defensive back, all 5-foot-10, 185-pounds of him. He’s arguably the best all-around football player in Central Florida and one of the best in the talent-rich state of Florida.

Ingle had an impressive junior season, during which he showed both his defensive prowess along with his athletic skills as a kick returner. He was Dr. Phillips’ fifth-leading tackler, averaging five tackles a game. He also had two interceptions, one of which he returned 105 yards for a touchdown. He had eight pass deflections, 10 tackles for loss and 519 yards in total kickoff- and punt-return yardage. Ingle averaged 19.7 yards on 12 punt returns, 35.2 yards on eight kickoff returns and had six combined return touchdowns.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-recruiting/blog/os-sp-recruiting-insider-chris-hays-tanner-ingle-20170604-story.html

"He made a lot of plays as a sophomore last year," Dr. Phillips coach Rodney Wells said last month. "Now the things he's doing, I hadn't seen done ever before here at Dr. Phillips." Wells refers to Ingle as "an all-around great kid" with great character who is "the epitome of what we try to do" at Dr. Phillips. "He's one of those players that you can't find anywhere else," Green said. "He's rare, he's one of a kind and real explosive. You can put him anywhere and he'll make plays."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/os-hs-tanner-ingle-olympia-dp-1021-20161020-story.html
Good stuff

From the Adidas 3 Stripe Elite Camp 2 weeks ago:
https://n.rivals.com/news/takeaways-from-the-adidas-3-stripe-elite-camp-in-georgia

"One of the day’s biggest stars, Orlando-area defensive back Tanner Ingle, added offers from Mercer and Indiana, and it seems as if N.C. State will be joining his list soon as well. Ingle is a classic case of a highly productive player who is under recruited because of his size, but when given the chance to showcase his skills in front of coaches he excels and ends up getting the recognition he’s earned." - Woody Wommack

From the Adidas 3 Stripe Elite Camp 2 weeks ago:
https://n.rivals.com/news/takeaways-from-the-adidas-3-stripe-elite-camp-in-georgia

"One of the day’s biggest stars, Orlando-area defensive back Tanner Ingle, added offers from Mercer and Indiana, and it seems as if N.C. State will be joining his list soon as well. Ingle is a classic case of a highly productive player who is under recruited because of his size, but when given the chance to showcase his skills in front of coaches he excels and ends up getting the recognition he’s earned." - Woody Wommack

The Derek Barnett of DBs.

VN Store

Back