'18 AL OLB Matthew Flint (Former UT commit 8/2/17)

Yeah, I think that will happen after this season.

Probably should've happened this year but we upgraded at WR, OL, DL, and DB. Also got a full time QB coach and a real S&C coach. That is a lot of turnover for one off-season. I think LB was in the best shape of all the other spots and CBJ decided to wait one more season to upgrade at LB.

Makes me think it's time to possibly upgrade Thigpen. Not really seeing a lot out of the LBer position on the field or in recruiting.

Thig recruits all positions and recruits very well overall. You do know he landed Hurd, Martin, Sapp, Barnett, Warrior, Phillips, McDowell, Callaway, Bituli, Jashon Roberson, Ryan Johnson, several others, or nah?

Count the 4 and 5 stars just mentioned...All of them are 4-5 stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Thig recruits all positions and recruits very well overall. You do know he landed Hurd, Martin, Sapp, Barnett, Warrior, Phillips, McDowell, Callaway, Bituli, Jashon Roberson, Ryan Johnson, several others, or nah?

Count the 4 and 5 stars just mentioned...All of them are 4-5 stars.

Hurd 2014
Martin 2015
Sapp 2015
Barnett 2014
Phillips 2015
McDowell 2014
Callaway 2016
Bituli 2016
Jashon Roberson Not a 4 star
Ryan Johnson Not even in the rotation

Now assuming what you are saying is true, most of his work that you are boasting about was in 2014 and 2015. On top of that I count 2 true LBers(McDowell was a safety) that he has recruited on your list. And I noticed you didn't touch the on the field disaster we saw from the LBer position the last several years outside of Kirkland and JRM in 2015. AJ was having a good year before the rape accusation. But that's 3 Lbers in his time here that developed and played SEC level football. On top of that let's look at what he is rated as a recruiter for this year's class. He's not even in the top 100 recruiters in the nation. He was 40 in 2017. 34 in 2016. 24 in 2015, and number 10 in 2014. Thigpen is going in the wrong direction.

Reactions: 3 people
Hurd 2014
Martin 2015
Sapp 2015
Barnett 2014
Phillips 2015
McDowell 2014
Callaway 2016
Bituli 2016
Jashon Roberson Not a 4 star
Ryan Johnson Not even in the rotation

Now assuming what you are saying is true, most of his work that you are boasting about was in 2014 and 2015. On top of that I count 2 true LBers(McDowell was a safety) that he has recruited on your list. And I noticed you didn't touch the on the field disaster we saw from the LBer position the last several years outside of Kirkland and JRM in 2015. AJ was having a good year before the rape accusation. But that's 3 Lbers in his time here that developed and played SEC level football. On top of that let's look at what he is rated as a recruiter for this year's class. He's not even in the top 100 recruiters in the nation. He was 40 in 2017. 34 in 2016. 24 in 2015, and number 10 in 2014. Thigpen is going in the wrong direction.

This is officially his put up or shut up year. Especially with his recruiting falling off, it's going to take a killer year of LB play for him to retain his position on this staff. Even then, it will take consistency to keep him off of thin ice.

Makes me think it's time to possibly upgrade Thigpen. Not really seeing a lot out of the LBer position on the field or in recruiting.

No argument there. I've been shocked at how much we've struggled to recruit highly rated LB's the last few classes. I do wonder if some other coaches / support staff play a bigger role in who we target though. Some really seem to like project types who they think can project well way down the road. Who knows. Thig used to pull elite talent every single year, including his first few years at UT.

This is officially his put up or shut up year. Especially with his recruiting falling off, it's going to take a killer year of LB play for him to retain his position on this staff. Even then, it will take consistency to keep him off of thin ice.

Playing a huge role in eventually landing Adam Anderson would help his case as well. Anybody know who Anderson's primary recruiter is besides the Chatman family?

Boom ! Had a feeling when I was opening this thread that he committed.

Well this sorta came out of nowhere, but BOOOOOM!

tumblr_mybz50jfG81rjq8tko1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Like this kids instincts and technique but doesn't seem to have a lot of power. Especially for a LB in the SEC. Doesn't seem to have much "pop" at all in his tackles.

Last edited:
Flint was in town last month for Orange Carpet Day, it was shortly after that trip that Tennessee became evident to him. He loved the way Tennessee recruited him and his entire family. It's something that stuck with him and hit him hard.

"It's a family atmosphere," Flint said. "Everybody brings their family and they have their kids and wives up there. It's just neat to see that side of the coaches. They will be my family the next three or four years. It's going to be everyday. That's who you are going home with, fighting with on the field. If they take care of their family then they will take care of you."

Flint says he Vols are recruiting him to play weak side linebacker. He brings a lot to the table, but most of all, he brings one thing.

"I think I bring speed," Flint said. "I don't think there is another linebacker moving better than me in the country. I'm a leader and I'm coachable. Naturally people on your team are going to follow behind that."

-- price

Reactions: 7 people
Inb4, all the star gazers come to tell us that he's just a 3*.

I care about wins. If this guy can help UT win championships then I don't care what his recruit rating is.

HOWEVER, it is disingenuous to celebrate classes and players that "rank" high then dismiss rankings when someone like this commits.

I don't know how you are... but there are posters here that are inconsistent this way. Either ratings matter when you don't get highly rated players or they don't matter when you do.

Reactions: 4 people
Like this kinds instincts and technique but doesn't seem to have a lot of power. Especially for a LB in the SEC. Doesn't seem to have much "pop" at all in his tackles.

I noticed the same. He won't play the top competition in the state but he will play about 4 games this year against teams with some potential D1 talent.

VN Store

Back