'18 AL OLB Matthew Flint (Former UT commit 8/2/17)

three-star senior linebacker matthew flint of madison county high school in gurley, ala., told 247sports' don callahan on sunday that he's no longer committed to tennessee.

The 6-foot-0.5, 213-pound flint, who had been committed to the vols since aug. 2, confirmed after his official visit to north carolina this weekend that he has parted ways with the vols and he's currently leaning toward the tar heels.

It had appeared for weeks that he was unlikely to sign with tennessee. He originally planned to sign with tennessee last month during the early signing period but chose to postpone his signing and continue exploring other options coming off his official visit with the vols the weekend of dec. 8.

"a lot of things have changed," flint told callahan. "i've really backed off of them. They're not really in the picture."

tennessee now is left with 17 known commitments for the 2018 class, including two linebackers: Four-star jj peterson of colquitt county high school in norman park, ga., and four-star signee jordan allen of city college of san francisco, who enrolled at tennessee this week.

Flint is ranked the no. 670 overall prospect and no. 40 outside linebacker in the industry-generated 247sports composite for the 2018 class.

Reactions: 1 person
We donÂ’t want anymore 210 LBs, going to replace him with 235 LB monsters. Best of luck to Matthew though!

Seems like we signed a couple of two-hundred or 210 pounders last year. Supposed to be good players. Wonder if they've beefed up.

Better to know that upfront, than come in and possibly sit for your entire college time.

So, let me get this straight. He actually wanted and was excited to play for a loser (Jones), not a winner (Pruitt). Another player that wanted to be coddled by Jones and have no accountability. Joke.

So, let me get this straight. He actually wanted and was excited to play for a loser (Jones), not a winner (Pruitt). Another player that wanted to be coddled by Jones and have no accountability. Joke.

He got told by the new staff that there wasnÂ’t a spot for him. Relax and show some empathy for the young man.

Reactions: 17 people

No. He was processed out because he didnÂ’t fit what we are trying to do here.

Reactions: 1 person
Good for this young man. Now we can remove the whole former commit tag.

Last edited:

No man he was likely told he didn't fit the new defensive system. I'd expect the same thing will happen with Litaker and Grant if it hasn't happened already!

He decommitted and picked UNC. It says in the article he never gave up on UT and he thanked Butch. Does anyone know if he was asked to look elsewhere or just decided it in his own.

He decommitted and picked UNC. It says in the article he never gave up on UT and he thanked Butch. Does anyone know if he was asked to look elsewhere or just decided it in his own.

He planned on signing early. WasnÂ’t allowed. If that helps.

VN Store

Back