'17 WV OT Riley Locklear (UT signee)

I would like to sign an interior lineman too. I'm not sure about going two years without signing one. You guys think any of the three we signed last year can move inside?

Reactions: 1 person
I would like to sign an interior lineman too. I'm not sure about going two years without signing one. You guys think any of the three we signed last year can move inside?

He's listed on Scout as a Guard. His high offer list/ low ranking kind of reminds me of where Dickerson was at this time last year. But obviously I have no idea if he's as good as Dickerson.

He's listed on Scout as a Guard. His high offer list/ low ranking kind of reminds me of where Dickerson was at this time last year. But obviously I have no idea if he's as good as Dickerson.

Thanks. I hadn't looked at his Scout profile. I can see him getting a bump too. His offer list is really good.

Much easier to move someone inside than make a guard a tackle. Plus, he worked at all three positions and impressed at all of them, so he seems versatile.

I'll say it again, if you're a legit D1 prospect you would stick out like a sore thumb in WV. This guy's film doesn't show me much, in a state that is tied with Alaska and Wyoming for football talent.

I'll say it again, if you're a legit D1 prospect you would stick out like a sore thumb in WV. This guy's film doesn't show me much, in a state that is tied with Alaska and Wyoming for football talent.

Seriously man? I've seen people on here with agendas, but hating on all players from West Virginia is a pretty weird one. I guess the coaching staff in Oregon saw something else in his film when they offered from a whole continent away.🙄

Seriously man? I've seen people on here with agendas, but hating on all players from West Virginia is a pretty weird one. I guess the coaching staff in Oregon saw something else in his film when they offered from a whole continent away.🙄

A 3 star...that competes against the equivalent of 0 stars. What purpose is an agenda on here? It's not like the coaches take our opinion into consideration. I'm stating a fact, I don't like the risk associated with this. If we start offering kids from Cheyenne WY I'll say the same thing.

I'm just hoping we're not at the point where we're taking these types of players. I very much doubt he's a take anyway, but just seems weird that Jones coaches at WVU, and then we schedule them in 2018 for seemingly zero benefit to us, and then we offer 3 kids from a state that hasn't produced anyone good since 1995.

A 3 star...that competes against the equivalent of 0 stars. What purpose is an agenda on here? It's not like the coaches take our opinion into consideration. I'm stating a fact, I don't like the risk associated with this. If we start offering kids from Cheyenne WY I'll say the same thing.

I'm just hoping we're not at the point where we're taking these types of players. I very much doubt he's a take anyway, but just seems weird that Jones coaches at WVU, and then we schedule them in 2018 for seemingly zero benefit to us, and then we offer 3 kids from a state that hasn't produced anyone good since 1995.

Dude talent could be found anywhere. Nick Chubb was the first player to get a Power 5 offer from his High School. Tee Higgins plays against what could charitably be described as average competition. That's why they have tape and camps and other evaluating tools. The offers for this kid from Oregon, FSU and Mich State are probably a good indicator that you have zero idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: 7 people
Locklear has big-time talent and would be an excellent get, IMO. With just one season of playing OL under his belt, Locklear was named the OL MVP and the Overall Camp MVP at the Adidas Georgia Showcase in February. He'd just received his 1st offer two weeks before the camp (from Marshall) and has added at least 21 more since then.

Dingess said the intriguing thing about Locklear is he has only scratched the surface of what he can become as an offensive lineman, having only played the position for seven months. Locklear was in the backfield as a fullback in eighth and ninth grade and was utilized more as a tight end because of his athleticism in his sophomore season.

When Spring Valley struggled to move the football in its opening scrimmage of the 2015 season, Locklear asked Dingess and the Spring Valley coaching staff to be put at tackle to help the team. His first start came against Cabell Midland and West Virginia University recruit Reese Donahue, who ended the 2015 season as an All-American.

It was then Dingess knew Locklear could be special.

"He's got All-American measurables," Dingess said. "He's got the height and the skill set and he's athletic. He's got it all. When he beat out the running back with 25 offers that's committed to Michigan for Camp MVP, that shocked me. That says a lot about how big he could be, though. He's just figuring it out because he's only played line one year."

Timberwolves' Locklear earns MVP at Adidas Showcase | High School Sports | herald-dispatch.com

Reactions: 4 people

West Virginia produced VFL greats George Cafego and Ron McCartney. Just because we don't pull many from this area doesn't mean there aren't more great ones to be found there.

Reactions: 4 people

Do you think Butch is getting kickbacks from the WV state government for his charitable work for the state football development or something?

All those things are more coincidence than anything else. If Butch Jones, and the dozens of other D1 head coaches that have offered like what they see in him, then I'll role with their judgement versus some bias against low population states that don't typically produce a lot of talent.

It is odd that we are after several guys from WV in one cycle, but I don't think there is any agenda behind it, and I don't think it'sbecause we've lowered our standards.

I would also have concerns about his level of comp, but he absolutely looked dominant at recent camps.

VN Store

Back