'17 TN TE LaTrell Bumphus (UT signee)

Talent on this team .. Qb to play baseball for the VOLS ..
Like to see a guy from Savannah play football for the VOLS ..
Tell 'em Bud....
Go Big 🍊

Reactions: 1 person
LaTrell Bumphus took in Tennessee’s invitation-only junior day on Saturday and by Monday morning had an offer from the Vols, a moment he said was “exciting because that’s who I always liked growing up.”

In fact, Bumphus, a tight end/defensive end, took immediate steps to inform his family: mother, Melissa; father, Keith and brother, Nick Porter.

“They were really excited and said they were proud of me and to keep working hard and keep my head on straight,” said Bumphus, a top performer at Sunday’s National Playmakers Academy camp on the Tennessee State campus in Nashville.

Bumphus said he had bonded on Saturday with both UT defensive line coach Steve Stripling and tight ends coach Larry Scott.

“I was up there (Saturday) and it went great,” said the Hardin County standout. “We toured the facilities, classes where they watch the film and went to the basketball game.

“Coach Scott and Coach Stripling was who I spent most of my time with. Coach Strip said he was really liking how I play defense, and Coach Scott, that was the first time he had seen me, and he liked how I play tight end.”

It was Stripling who delivered the news on Monday.

“I talked to Coach Stripling; they really liked me and were excited about me and thought I could fit in real good up there,” Bumphus said.

Though he already had five offers, including Louisville, Kentucky and Vanderbilt, Bumphus said the Tennessee offer was one that had been on his mind.

“It was great, exciting. It was exciting because that’s what school I always liked growing up,” he said.

“Motivates me a whole lot. Because I know I’ve got to keep going and keep working to get better.”

Bumphus, who will visit Tennessee again during spring camp, doesn’t view hard work as a problem. In fact, he makes the long journey almost weekly from tiny Savannah to Nashville in order to work out and train with the NPA crew.

“It’s great, a great process. It motivates me a lot because I know I’ve got to keep working, keep working and getting better,” Bumphus said.
-VQ.

Reactions: 9 people
Has Hardin county ever had someone blow up like this? It seems rare for that area at this level. I know they usually have a good one pop up that ends up NAIA or lower level D1/d2.

I like that he wants to get better so Musc that he drives from there to Nashville every wknd or every other weekend to work with NPA guys. That says a lot about the kids work ethic. That's not the quickest drive.

Has Hardin county ever had someone blow up like this? It seems rare for that area at this level. I know they usually have a good one pop up that ends up NAIA or lower level D1/d2.

I like that he wants to get better so Musc that he drives from there to Nashville every wknd or every other weekend to work with NPA guys. That says a lot about the kids work ethic. That's not the quickest drive.

Not that I recall. They had a QB that played for Memphis, Will Gilchrist, but that is the biggest player that I can remember. To be fair, I'm fairly young so my knowledge is limited to the last 10 years or so.

I graduated from there ... Never had anybody blow up like this ... We had a guy that played football that was good but he wound up in the braves minor league system .. Adam Milligan ... Gilchrist went to memphis .... Don't know if he's even there anymore ...

Gilchrist graduated several years ago, ended up switching to WR his last year but still just barely saw the field

Joe Thompson and for the old timers the biggest football name out of Hardin County was John Barnhill. For you younger folks who have never heard of Barnhill just google him.

Reactions: 1 person
image-19-600x800.jpeg

unofficial to UK.

LaTrell has a high motor and works as hard as any kid we have in OL/DL group. He ask questions and does the extra before and after workouts. When KP was home he was off to the sideasking questions, Titans DL coach Nick Eason was present same thing. He does like UT but will be patient and make a sound decision as we advise all players to do. I look for him to contnue getting offers come from everywhere just because he'll continue to impress and work no matter what offer he gets. Very humble kid, and its a pleasure to wrk with him

Reactions: 13 people
LaTrell has a high motor and works as hard as any kid we have in OL/DL group. He ask questions and does the extra before and after workouts. When KP was home he was off to the sideasking questions, Titans DL coach Nick Eason was present same thing. He does like UT but will be patient and make a sound decision as we advise all players to do. I look for him to contnue getting offers come from everywhere just because he'll continue to impress and work no matter what offer he gets. Very humble kid, and its a pleasure to wrk with him

These are the type of players that are extremely valuable to teams. That kund of attitude and work ethic rubs off on others. Hope the kid ends up signing with the Vols.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back