'17 TN OL/DT Trey Smith (UT commit 12/6/2016)

"I've got that tenacious attitude by watching the film of other top offensive linemen," Smith said. "The Opening was very eye-opening for me. I watched a lot of top linemen from the 2016 class. I watched every one of them and learned about patience and pass setting." "And the person that really started my pancake craze was Jack Jones at Tennessee. I remember watching an Oakland game on ESPN and I remember watching him plant a guy in the ground every time and for my position, I was just thinking, 'I want to be great like that.' So, I started watching his film. I watched Matthew Burrell, too. I saw how nasty they finished. So, I just started to work hard like that and things started clicking. So, I have a tenacious, cocky sense, where I have to set the tone every time out there."

"My main guy is coach Strip. I love coach Strip. He keeps me filled in on the day-to-day things in Knoxville," Smith said. "I talked to coach Jones last week. He just caught me up on the direction of the program up there. I talked to coach (Don) Mahoney, too. He was telling me about how the offensive line is developing and how the younger players are doing."

Smith plans to be in Knoxville for the Georgia or Arkansas games this season. "I'm starting to narrow it down in my mind. I'm not going to say I will or won't wait until national signing day," Smith explained. "I want to early enroll, but I have to get approval from my father and make sure everything is good with my school. Right now, I just want to take the process slower. It will definitely be my senior year before I commit."

Rivals, 9/5

Reactions: 7 people

How can you hear that interview and not say 'All Vol'? Talking about current UT players? Check. Talking about current UT coaches? Check. Setting up visit for a big home game this year? Check. Wants to enroll early? Check. I feel we got this one wrapped up.

:rock:

Reactions: 1 person
How can you hear that interview and not say 'All Vol'? Talking about current UT players? Check. Talking about current UT coaches? Check. Setting up visit for a big home game this year? Check. Wants to enroll early? Check. I feel we got this one wrapped up.

:rock:

He sounds mean...WANT EM MEAN!!! :aggressive:

Been my number 1 want for 2017 for a while. Although Johnson and Higgins are great pickups. Awesome to hear!

Apparently they had "wear your favorite SEC team to school day"...

Maybe someone can post the pic from twitter...

Spoiler alert:

:number1:

Reactions: 2 people
We need this kid. He's huge and a great kid. His father has raised this kid right. He was well spoken and about crushed my hand when he shook it on Sunday morning.
Met this family randomly in the hotel lobby. His father spoke highly of the energy around the program. His sister was a manager for lady vols basketball.
We need to close this deal. He's a great player and great character.
Let's hope he commits

Reactions: 4 people
“It was incredible, really,” said Smith, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 24 overall prospect and the No. 1 player from the state of Tennessee in the 2017 class.

“We were on fall break, so we had the whole week off, so my dad and I came down on Friday and got a chance to hang out with the coaches and then watch them practice. We got another tour of the facility a little bit more. I mean, the visit was amazing. You couldn’t ask for a better game — Smokey Gray (uniforms), first time they ever had not worn the white helmets. It was a great visit all in all, and they won.

“They’re in a good position, probably. I’m not going to really reveal where any school stands right now, but they definitely left an impression (Saturday).”

“Just seeing them practice for the first time, that was big for me, I think — just seeing how day-to-day things go around Tennessee, just seeing how the coaches will just hang out,” he said. “I was able to go into an O-line meeting and see how that works out. I mean, that’s pretty big when it comes down to recruiting, because usually you just see the games. That’s the best part. But you don’t see day-to-day things.”

“It was awesome just seeing them win, especially a big game against Georgia,” he said. “They’ve come close the past couple years. Obviously, wins are sort of a sign that tell you which direction a program is going. And after that one (Saturday) night, it just tells you that, what they’re doing down there, it’s finally starting to click and work together. Winning’s everything, really, in college football.”

The game-day atmosphere inside Neyland Stadium once again impressed him, too. “Oh, man,” Smith said. “I’ve been plenty of games in big stadiums. I think Neyland’s probably one of the loudest I’ve heard, to be honest with you. Bryant-Denny (Stadium at Alabama) and Neyland are the two loudest. I think Neyland was, like, the loudest I’ve ever heard — ever.”

Said he was also impressed with the young guys getting a shot to play on the O-Line. He might visit Ole Miss and Alabama again this season as well as UT for another game.

Reactions: 9 people
Per Austin Price

Jackson offensive tackle Trey Smith won't pull the trigger on his commitment for another year, but the 2017 prospect is already figuring out what he's looking for in a school. He was in Knoxville last weekend for the Georgia game and came away impressed.

"Everything went great," Smith said. "I went with my dad and sister. We hung out with the coaches and I was able to watch the offensive line coach. We were able to go over some film and see what it's like every day. It was a great experience."

Smith has been to campus several times, but Saturday's win over the Bulldogs set itself apart from previous trips.

"I've been to some Tennessee games, but I think it was the loudest I've heard Neyland," Smith said. "It leaves a major impression. We were walking down to the stadium and all the fans were coming up and thanking me for coming to the game. It makes you feel like a superstar. That doesn't happen everywhere."

Watching several Volunteer state products produce for the Orange and White was important for Smith. The Tennessee staff makes it a point to work the instate prospects and Smith knows staying in-state would have a different feel.

"There is a level of pride that comes with it," Smith said. "It's something that has went through my head. Having that pride in your state is important. They really push their instate players and look at guys like Jack Jones and Drew Richmond. Guys that play my position. It leaves an impression."

Smith isn't naming leaders, but Tennessee remains very much on his radar. What sets Rocky Top apart from other schools?

"I think the coaching, atmosphere and the facilities set Tennessee a part," Smith said. "They have some of the best in the country. The atmosphere is second to none. The coaches are really down to earth and it's just a nice place. It's awesome."

Reactions: 6 people
Per Austin Price

Come on Big guy you want to say it. You will feel so much better if you just get it off your chest. I..I..I...I c...c...c...c....commmmmmmmiiiiiitttt ttttttttttoooooooo T..T...T...T...Tennesseeeeeeeeeee... See now don't you feel better. lol

I feel really good here. While I won't pretend to have super inside information everything I've heard has favored Tennessee to this point.

From the Rivals Alabama site"

Smith may have grown up in the Volunteer State, but he has always been a fan of the Crimson Tide.

"What can you say," he replied when asked to give his thoughts of Alabama. "They have all those national championships. Coach Saban is about to pass Bear Bryant in all-time win percentage at Alabama.

"I have always grown up an Alabama fan. I've been a fan even during the Shula years. It's hard to say that living in Tennessee. I love Alabama's ground-and-pound offense. It's similar to what we do here. I know it will help me if I go to Alabama. They are one of the most elite, dominant programs in college football."

The four-star lineman is heavily recruited by Tennessee. He was in Knoxville for the Georgia game.

Smith may have grown up in the Volunteer State, but he has always been a fan of the Crimson Tide.

"What can you say," he replied when asked to give his thoughts of Alabama. "They have all those national championships. Coach Saban is about to pass Bear Bryant in all-time win percentage at Alabama.

"I have always grown up an Alabama fan. I've been a fan even during the Shula years. It's hard to say that living in Tennessee. I love Alabama's ground-and-pound offense. It's similar to what we do here. I know it will help me if I go to Alabama. They are one of the most elite, dominant programs in college football."

The four-star lineman is heavily recruited by Tennessee. He was in Knoxville for the Georgia game.
Oh god 😷😷

sadmike.0_standard_352.0.gif

Reactions: 3 people

That helps.

USJ does not "ground and pound". They sling it all over the field. They have for years. He is just feeding them what they want to hear. We are good here.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back