'17 NC DE Matthew Butler (UT Signee)

Seems like I read that Jones and co. have been recruiting Page for years, so they obviously see something they like in him. Burnam and Coleman are the biggest head scratchers to me considering who all we're still in it for, but I'm not going to even pretend to know more than the coaches there. There may be a learning curve for this staff in regards to big time in-game decisions, but when it comes to evals, I'd take them over almost anybody in the country at this point.

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like I read that Jones and co. have been recruiting Page for years, so they obviously see something they like in him. Burnam and Coleman are the biggest head scratchers to me considering who all we're still in it for, but I'm not going to even pretend to know more than the coaches there. There may be a learning curve for this staff in regards to big time in-game decisions, but when it comes to evals, I'd take them over almost anybody in the country at this point.

We have recruited Page for two years, and thru a coordinator change as well - that is correct. I understand he looked pretty good this AM.

I wish we'd stop with the directional doofus speculation ad nauseum.

Reactions: 2 people
Per Hubbs

Staying on the defensive line, Tennessee continues their pursuit of Matthew Butler and he maintains he will make a decision in October. He told us this week he still plans on being at Tennessee for either the Florida or Alabama game.

So is he a take? We've got Lawson, Bembry, and Bumphus(may also be a TE) as possible DEs. If he is a take we would likely be cutting one somewhere. I'm thinking he's a back up option. JMO

So is he a take? We've got Lawson, Bembry, and Bumphus(may also be a TE) as possible DEs. If he is a take we would likely be cutting one somewhere. I'm thinking he's a back up option. JMO
Bembry is 6'2"-6'3" and probably a shade under 210 from my knowledge and is a track superstar. My guess is LB for him. Idk though I know rivals lists him as a DE.

Bembry is 6'2"-6'3" and probably a shade under 210 from my knowledge and is a track superstar. My guess is LB for him. Idk though I know rivals lists him as a DE.

I was leaning LB as well. I saw today one of the services didn't list him with the "LB commits". I'm wondering if Butch doesn't see him like they did Darrell Taylor. May just take a couple years to add the weight.

vols defensive line coach steve stripling is scheduled to travel to angier, n.c., to watch three-star defensive lineman matthew butler and his garner (n.c.) magnet high school team visit harnett central high school on friday night. Butler, one of tennessee’s top remaining defensive-line targets, has visited the vols twice in recent months and is scheduled to attend their home game oct. 15 against alabama.

Reactions: 4 people
Meet him at a track meet. Seems like an awesome guy. Absolutely massive too. Va tech and Maryland both came by to talk to him before the meet.

Reactions: 1 person
Butler has 12 sacks through six games this season and noted the college teams recruiting have let him know the improvement they’ve seen in his game. His improved play has brought more interest from several schools, including Texas A&M.

but I was playing defensive end to keep contain, not to rush the passer. Now I’m just playing defensive end and coaches are saying, ‘He can play end and he can play tackle, he can cover a running back out of the backfield and he can come in and contribute.’”

Tennessee has made it a point to let Butler know he’s a priority and that means a lot of time spent on the phone with head coach Butch Jones.

“I talk to coach Jones weekly, or sometimes twice a week. We just talk. He tells me why they want me and he tells me about what he’s doing with his team that week,” Butler said.

for coach Jones to have a loaded team and yet he still sees potential in me to play early means a lot.

“I watched the Florida game last week because I didn’t go on a visit and then, oh my goodness, yesterday was crazy,” Butler said. “I was in Williams-Brice Stadium and it was a timeout and they turned on the Georgia-Tennessee game on the big screen. You saw Jacob Eason throw the touchdown, and I don’t like Georgia, but he’s a good quarterback. But, I saw the excessive celebration penalty and saw the return.

“And as soon as I saw the ball leave Dobbs’ hand I thought it was going to be a touchdown. I stood up and everyone in Williams-Brice is going crazy and acting like something was going on on the field but it was on the screen.”

- Fortenberry

The coaches compare him to Vereen.

Reactions: 8 people
Speaking of visiting with their family, both Yusuf Corker and Matthew Butler will be making their way to campus Saturday with their families. Tennessee has some momentum with both right now and while Corker is closer to doing something than Matthews, the Vols are in a good spot right now.

-VQ

Reactions: 3 people
Probably the only cheering in Williams-Brice that day.

SC fans hate UGA so I am sure there was a lot of confusion on what emotion to feel when Jennings caught the HM.

:clapping:..er...:banghead2:...um...:pepper:...uh, no...:yuck:

“(they were) just ensuring where i stand with them, and i assured them of how they stand with me,” he said. “it wasn’t any very, very in-depth stuff until after the game. Before the game was just when they were talking about priorities and whatnot and just making conversation — questions both ways.

“but after the game, they pointed out where their need is. We talked about football. That draws me, just talking about football, because football is a sport i play and a sport i love.”
24/7

“I understand that whether there’s 50,000 fans or 100,000 fans, whether you wear Nike, Adidas or Under Armour, whether you have fun on a recruiting visit, that’s not going to help me play football, get my education or grow up,” Butler told me.

“I want to be on a team, for a lack of a better word, full of dogs. A team full of dogs that are level-minded. Not too high. Not too low. Everyone with the same goal. Not just a bunch of characters.”

“It was cool — it does not affect my recruitment at all — but it was cool when you’re walking on campus and people recognize you. I’m not from Tennessee. Never been to a game, but folks were like, ‘Oh, that’s Matthew Butler.’ That’s cool.”

“I’m looking for how they play football — not necessarily a win or a loss, but their style, aggressiveness in play, skill-at other positions. So quite frankly, the better one person plays their position, the easier it is for the next position. I wanted to see what guys they have (at defensive end) and on the other side of the ball, too.

“You see guys like Derek Barnett, who is a great player. And (Cory) Vereen, who has proven himself to be a good player as well. And you see those guys and I’d be playing that same position, so you look at how did they play? What responsibilities are they asked to do?”
Jesse Simonton

Reactions: 2 people
Yes he is but the latest has us pretty far down on his lists. Not top 5 right now for sure. This is coming from Scout. Probably around 6th-8th right now but we've slowly moved up because a few months ago we weren't even in his top 10. Thanks!

Not top 5 for Butler?

VN Store

Back