'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

Sorry, but I'm moving this back to Ray.

Who is Byron De'Vinner? Isn't he a guy that 'guides/sells' young men to universities to play football?

I think he is also from the Nashville area. He does hate Tennessee. He helped to steer Rico McGraw to Georgia, and that actually worked out well for Tennessee :)

His floor shadow is HUGE.

The shadow looks like he is giving himself the finger.

Attachments

• dvinner2.jpg
    dvinner2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 5 people
Ole Byron. I had forgot about him. I miss the days he use to log in and defend his positions and even create a fictitious account of a supposed girl that worked for him. His presence here was comedy gold.

Reactions: 3 people
Updated from Rucker

"The highlights...
-This was Ray's fifth trip to Tennessee but first time he stayed overnight. He loved the trip, said Vols "definitely" helped themselves.
-Trey Smith was his host. He and Trey get along really well and already knew each other, so and they had a great time.
-Ray loved talking to the Tennessee coaches and getting to hang out with everybody, fun games like bowling and stuff, etc.
-Walt Wells and Steve Stripling are probably gonna visit him Tuesday this week.
-Still planning on visiting Alabama and Florida the next two weekends, still has Vols, Tide, Gators, OleMiss and MissState in top five.
-Still planning on NSD decision, most likely."

Reactions: 7 people
Per Austin Price

From Friday night to Sunday in the early afternoon, Tennessee had LaBryan Ray's full attention. The smooth yet aggressive defensive end from Madison, Alabama left Knoxville very impressed.

"The visit went really well," Ray said. "Me and my family had a great time. From start to finish it felt like a family and I felt comfortable. We did a lot of fun things and had a great time."

The Tennessee staff has been with Ray every day since coaches could be back on the road last Thursday. They have left their impression and they worked Ray using the family approach.

"Coach Wells, coach Strip and coach Ollie are all guys I have really good relationships with," Ray said. "They have been on me for a while and I've had the time to talk with them and get comfortable. Coach Wells knew my brother from his time at Western Kentucky. It's good and refreshing. Brandon knows a little bit about him. He's a great dude and a great coach."

Tennessee had each prospect out for several fun events over the weekend. That included a night at the bowling alley where Ray wasn't quite as impressive as he is between the white lines.

"I'm alright," Ray said with a laugh. "Coach Wells beat me one time and he isn't going to let me live it down. From then on, he let me hear about it. He's a character."

His host was new Vol Trey Smith. A wise move to put a current team member that is actually in the same class as Ray with the big defender.

"I was happy to find out that Trey was my host," Ray said. "I've got to know him from camps and other things. He showed me around and we had a good time. He's a good dude. We went against each other in practice at the Under Armor game and we actually talked about it a lot this weekend."

The natural reaction is to think Ray will end up at Alabama. He begs to differ and is quite clear that he is approaching each school with the same mindset. Alabama, Florida, Mississippi and Mississippi State join the Vols in the final five for Ray with trips to see the Tide and Gators the next two weeks.

"I'm taking visits and I'm going off of me and my time," Ray said. "I'm not in a rush. I'm trying to make the best decision for me and my family. It gives me time to think about everything. I think my (personality) benefits me. It's the way I was raised in how I act and how I carry myself."

After the visits to Tuscaloosa and Gainesville, Ray will take time to pray and think about his best fit. He knows what he's looking for and is patiently searching.

"You have to go somewhere that is comfortable," Ray said. "The family part is something that is very important. If football isn't in play, can you see yourself there going to school. Those are things you have to think about. I didn't used to view it that way, but now I do. Obviously playing time is also important and how many people are at your position."

Reactions: 7 people
So is Bama's depth at DE as slim as what others have said? I have a hard time believing he would see the field at Bryant Denny any sooner than he would at Knoxville.

Maybe he will be for this class what Tee Higgins is for Clemson. Perhaps Ray will reject the home state school to go out of state for college.

Reactions: 1 person
So is Bama's depth at DE as slim as what others have said? I have a hard time believing he would see the field at Bryant Denny any sooner than he would at Knoxville.

DE is the thinnest position on Bama's roster. Great chance for him to play as a true freshman.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we will finish a solid second here. Unfortunate, but the instate draw to Alabama of all teams seems like it will be too much to overcome. A positive development, Walt Wells seems to be an excellent recruiter.

Reactions: 2 people
I have a feeling we will finish a solid second here. Unfortunate, but the instate draw to Alabama of all teams seems like it will be too much to overcome. A positive development, Walt Wells seems to be an excellent recruiter.
I agree. I think the Vols have great shot to get Conliffe, though. He's a really good DT propect! If y'all can land him at DT and Sterling at DE, Vols would have a really nice DL haul in this class.

I agree. I think the Vols have great shot to get Conliffe, though. He's a really good DT propect! If y'all can land him at DT and Sterling at DE, Vols would have a really nice DL haul in this class.

Landing Bama's leftovers, yay! It is what it is though. Bama and Tn are on 2 different levels right now.

Reactions: 1 person

Finally met Wells last wk and spoke to a kid who played for him and works at UT. I really like this dude. He has lots of charisma and kids gravitate to him. I jusy hope he can fix the OL issues like Grimm did for the Titans.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back