'16 TN F John Fulkerson (UT commit 11/6/15)

Which turns out to look foolish as Eli Wright is now one of the hottest prospects in the country with others in the last couple weeks from: Florida, Louisville, UNLV, UCLA and UCONN.

My comment was never negative about Eli. I like the player, I've seen him play more than once. My comment was about IU, Purdue, UT not being major offers. I was showing my UK bias/butthurt, because obviously those are good offers. I even said myself he should be getting more attention "next year". Now it's next year and I was right.

My comment was never negative about Eli. I like the player, I've seen him play more than once. My comment was about IU, Purdue, UT not being major offers. I was showing my UK bias/butthurt, because obviously those are good offers. I even said myself he should be getting more attention "next year". Now it's next year and I was right.

Misunderstood what you were saying, apologies.

Mosley was not all that highly rated from what I recall? How long did it take the Berry's to commit after they were offered? Are you really going to argue that coaches don't ever have kids keep their commitments silent, you're smarter than that, I thought.

Reasons for silent commitments:

1) keep pressure off the kid from influences around him. Usually a kid from out of state

2) keep other recruits from being scared off by the fear of losing playing time

3) coach building excitement with the fan base

This kid doesn't fit any of those. Sorry

My guess is this kid has had the process "slowed" down by the coaches

This is a d*** if you do, d*** if you don't situation for Coach Barnes. Right now some people are looking at this kids offer list and wondering why Barnes is evening going after this kid. On the other hand if he doesn't offer and Fulkerson goes elsewhere and is does really well, even at a mid major then people would question why he didn't go after him since he was in our back yard.

Also I have never understood the mind set of some people on this site that we should wait until other schools that are on the same level or above us to other before we do. Why should we wait? If the coaching staff thinks he's good enough and can contribute then why not go a head and offer.

Reasons for silent commitments:

1) keep pressure off the kid from influences around him. Usually a kid from out of state

2) keep other recruits from being scared off by the fear of losing playing time

3) coach building excitement with the fan base

This kid doesn't fit any of those. Sorry

My guess is this kid has had the process "slowed" down by the coaches

Fits 1 & 2 IMO, sorry :hi:

Fits 1 & 2 IMO, sorry :hi:

1) pressure???? Lol that ball state fan base will likely flood his twitter account with hate if he commits

2) if this kid scares off other recruits it will be because they don't think we are going to win big enough with the talent level on the roster

Reactions: 1 person
1) pressure???? Lol that ball state fan base will likely flood his twitter account with hate if he commits

2) if this kid scares off other recruits it will be because they don't think we are going to win big enough with the talent level on the roster

Yes, it's impossible he improves and continues to get better offers, what a preposterous idea :crazy:

Yes, it's impossible he improves and continues to get better offers, what a preposterous idea :crazy:

Sure and I will support him even if he doesn't but we are talking about now and why he would need to be a silent commit.

There is zero reason for him to be except for his spot being in jeopardy

Last edited:
Sure and I will support him even if he doesn't but we are talking about now and why he would need to be a silent commit.

Yup, only possible reason, as I've already said now multiple times and you don't seem able to accept, we can disagree, IT IS OK.

Ps: great to have you back after your touching goodbye, thought we had lost you.

Last edited:

There's one reason Tennessee to want the kid to be silent, and that's if they want to retain the right to change their minds. I can think of only one reason for the kid himself to want to be a silent commit and that's if Tennessee has told him they pull the offer if he announces. If that's the case, it isn't a committable offer.

It's also possible the kid isn't committed and wants to take the chance that he really is blowing up and wants to see what else is out there. In that case, go for it and know that the Tennessee scholarship may not be there if a Freeman or Jenkins or Blackwell (or some combination) were to commit.

There's one reason Tennessee to want the kid to be silent, and that's if they want to retain the right to change their minds. I can think of only one reason for the kid himself to want to be a silent commit and that's if Tennessee has told him they pull the offer if he announces. If that's the case, it isn't a committable offer.

It's also possible the kid isn't committed and wants to take the chance that he really is blowing up and wants to see what else is out there. In that case, go for it and know that the Tennessee scholarship may not be there if a Freeman or Jenkins or Blackwell (or some combination) were to commit.

100% agree

Everything I was saying

I agree with this, not sure why this isn't a plausible scenario.

I agree with this, not sure why this isn't a plausible scenario.

It certainly is possible and if that's the case barnes should let the door hit him in the a.. Leaving the office uncommitted. If an in state kid, from east tenn at that, with that offer sheet doesn't want to wear orange and white any more than that then move on.

It certainly is possible and if that's the case barnes should let the door hit him in the a.. Leaving the office uncommitted. If an in state kid, from east tenn at that, with that offer sheet doesn't want to wear orange and white any more than that then move on.

That's your opinion, again I disagree, oh well. I'm guessing you feel we should pull Jordan Bones' offer as well since he has yet to commit?

That's your opinion, again I disagree, oh well. I'm guessing you feel we should pull Jordan Bones' offer as well since he has yet to commit?

I love the idea of having an under the radar talent from our backyard wearing the orange. They tend to fight just a tad harder IMO for what they get but they damn sure better love the orange. Hesitation in committing makes me question that love. I hope he commits ASAP so I can support this local kid

Bone isn't under the radar. I am fine with him playing the process out since we weren't the first high major staff to recruit him

I love the idea of having an under the radar talent from our backyard wearing the orange. They tend to fight just a tad harder IMO for what they get but they damn sure better love the orange. Hesitation in committing makes me question that love. I hope he commits ASAP so I can support this local kid

Bone isn't under the radar. I am fine with him playing the process out since we weren't the first high major staff to recruit him

So you won't support him if he doesn't commit soon?

I believe Tennessee was Bones' first HM offer?

That seems very much like an emotional "fan" opinion. What if Fulkerson was born and raised in Denver, CO, and moved to Tennessee a year ago? In that case, he doesn't have an emotional tie to Tennessee like you and I do.

Kids have to make the decision that is best for them. You may have a valid point if he were very vocal about his fandom for Tennessee and his desire for an offer, and then withheld a commitment. That hasn't been the case as far as I know.

I've gotta say, I don't see what the big deal is here. If there's one area I think Barnes deserves a bit of a leash, it's recruiting. He's been at a big job for years and knows what type of talent it takes to win. He's got a strong recruiting track record. I don't see the problem with just giving Barnes and his assistants the benefit of the doubt for now with their evals.

This reminds me of the football recruiting forum when Weatherd was offered as a 2 star with a bad offer list. A large contingent whined about it at the time, but he ended up getting a big bump and we fought tooth and nail with Texas A&M to get him.

Reactions: 3 people
I've gotta say, I don't see what the big deal is here. If there's one area I think Barnes deserves a bit of a leash, it's recruiting. He's been at a big job for years and knows what type of talent it takes to win. He's got a strong recruiting track record. I don't see the problem with just giving Barnes and his assistants the benefit of the doubt for now with their evals.

This reminds me of the football recruiting forum when Weatherd was offered as a 2 star with a bad offer list. A large contingent whined about it at the time, but he ended up getting a big bump and we fought tooth and nail with Texas A&M to get him.
Well obviously we all known more about recruiting than a 600 win basketball coach. Come on this is VN we are talking about. Full of the resident experts.

(Blue font)

Of the guys Barnes sent to the NBA were they under the radar guys or 5star??

I have no idea

Of the guys Barnes sent to the NBA were they under the radar guys or 5star??

I have no idea

My main point was that he knows what winning talent looks like on a stage that's bigger than the SEC. So for now at least, if he thinks a guy is good enough to deserve an offer then I'll roll with that. Unless he doesn't improve our roster and ends up with numerous scouting misses, he's earned that IMO.

VN Store

Back