'16 TN F John Fulkerson (UT commit 11/6/15)

Usm yes but so far the Texas thing has been very very little

I agree, but every time it is brought up, it is mentioned that "Barnes was recently fired from Texas and is now the HC at Tennessee." We are inevitably tied to it despite how minor it is. The simple-minded perception is that we cannot escape NCAA controversy, no matter how true or relevant it actually is in reality.

Maybe I am looking through my orange tinted glasses too much, but Mississippi State is on its third coach in five years AND it's in Starkville, MS to boot. Ben Howland was fired, too and was out of work for three years. At least Barnes was scooped up immediately. And, probably just me, but what Pitino did would bother me - if I were the parent of a recruit - way more than anything Pearl or Tyndall did. I guess I just built up unrealistic expectation for Barnes based on his rep.

I no longer live in Knoxville, not even in Tennessee, so I feel like I can speak with some authority about how we are viewed in a regional/national perspective.

So again, that isn't necessarily how I view things, but I can assure that the common fan thinks Tennessee basketball was a dumpster fire prior to making a pretty good hire in Rick Barnes. That hire, while I wasn't in love with it personally, was viewed from outside Knoxville as a pretty solid one considering the clown shoes operation we were perceived to be running with Pearl's issues, the perception that we ran off a Sweet 16 coach (Martin), and the debacle of the Tyndall hire.

IU, yes. UGA not so much. UGA is a solidly bottom third SEC program over time. Every once in a while they do better, sometimes for couple of years, but not very often.

theyre still a HM, and SEC team, if our worst recruit in a 5-7 man class has offers from SEC schools I will be happy

I don't expect KY or Duke classes, but a Mississippi State or Auburn class would be nice. Both those guys got it going pretty good with top 100 guys right off the bat and Tennessee has a lot more to sell than either of those places.

I think Barnes will do fine, but it is a little disconcerting to see the level of prospect vs my own personal expectation. I really thought, and maybe I was delusional, that Tennessee would at least have a top 20/ top third of the SEC level class in Barnes' first shot at it. I didn't think he'd do as well as Pearl (that was a miracle with a sixth ranked class), but I didn't think top 20 would be too much to expect. The way it's looking now, unless Tennessee lands Blackwell, top 20 out of reach and you probably are looking at a similar class to the last two Cuonzo groups.

Howland caught a bit of a break with a 5 star in his backyard and a legacy. Howland is a good recruiter, but that is just good circumstances.

Barnes appears to be in good shape with Jordan Bone, and we will see about Blackwell. We all know that the problem with UT basketball is that there are literally no great prospects within 2.5 hours of campus.

I agree, but every time it is brought up, it is mentioned that "Barnes was recently fired from Texas and is now the HC at Tennessee." We are inevitably tied to it despite how minor it is. The simple-minded perception is that we cannot escape NCAA controversy, no matter how true or relevant it actually is in reality.
Call me simple-minded, but Barnes has the one ace on his resume that transcends all evils.
He gets kids to the NBA.
Call me a dreamer, but if he gets this team to the dance this season and shows that the MAGIC is still there, he'll have no problems raking in top talent.

Call me simple-minded, but Barnes has the one ace on his resume that transcends all evils.
He gets kids to the NBA.
Call me a dreamer, but if he gets this team to the dance this season and shows that the MAGIC is still there, he'll have no problems raking in top talent.

I completely agree. Instant success on the court will speed up and further aid the process of distancing the program from the instability of the last 5 years. Heck, just a steadying influence of a name coach like Rick Barnes will help in that regard, assuming his teams don't just outright flop.

Making the dance with this team will be nothing short of a miracle IMO, but if Barnes manages that, then recruiting shouldn't be an issue for him given his history there.

there goes the why we recruiting a mid major argument

There's definitely a difference between "strong interest" and an offer, and that is exactly what will be said and there's some truth behind it. The simple fact is, this staff believes Fulkerson is a guy who's going to continue to get bigger and bigger offers, and being in their back yard and having extensive ties to his AAU squad they felt like they should get ahead of the other HM's and offer the kid.

We can debate day and night about whether or not the kid deserves to play for Tennessee, and I'm sure we will continue to and that's perfectly fine, but as I've maintained, if Fulkerson is the "worst" recruit in a 5-7 man 2016 class which this staff had some limitations on putting together, I will be very pleased.

Ball State is also recruiting John Fulkerson hard.. Here's a tiny clip from an article on their recruiting website..

There, amidst an atmosphere that seems almost built to produce as many basketball game results as possible with maximum efficiency and speed, he takes a seat in time to watch a team from Tennessee with John Fulkerson on the roster.
The 6-foot-8 combo forward then puts on a show.

He's skinny and angular, showing a workable shot in warm-ups, and then he unleashes an aggressive side. He slashes in, scores and-1s and shows both timing and hops as he swats away shots. Even his turnovers reek of an attacking mindset, showing no sign of the passiveness that often accompanies size.

He doesn't play much as his Bobcats tear out to a big lead and the reserves get time they've missed in closer games.

Fulkerson says his recruiting picked up after he transferred from Dobyns-Bennett High School in Kingsport, Tennessee, to Christ School in Arden, North Carolina. Thus far, interest has mostly come from smaller schools such as Appalachian State, Samford, South Carolina Upstate, Navy and UNC-Asheville. He's talked to Radford and George Mason, hopes for an offer from the home state Volunteers and says versatility has become his calling card. He takes a moment, searching for the right way to describe how this process has taken off.
"I really just see how blessed I am to see I can play at the next level," Fulkerson says.
When it became clear Fulkerson's night was finished, Whitford slipped out, back to North Central to relieve his assistant and put the plan back on track.
But it seems there's a new part.

Less than an hour after his game, Fulkerson tweets out the news: he's now the proud holder of a Ball State offer.

For the record I am more than willing to support this kid. My issue is the hypocrisy behind the way we decide which diamond in the rough is legit and which isn't

Now with that said. We have a kid with only one, at the moment, big 5 offer. He is a tenn kid. Wth is he waiting on to commit???

If he wants to my support(i know he doesn't give a rip) then act like wearing the orange and white is a big deal and pull the trigger. Zero reason for an in state kid with that offer sheet to hesitate with a commitment

For the record I am more than willing to support this kid. My issue is the hypocrisy behind the way we decide which diamond in the rough is legit and which isn't

Now with that said. We have a kid with only one, at the moment, big 5 offer. He is a tenn kid. Wth is he waiting on to commit???

If he wants to my support(i know he doesn't give a rip) then act like wearing the orange and white is a big deal and pull the trigger. Zero reason for an in state kid with that offer sheet to hesitate with a commitment

Did you honestly think when cuonzo recruited Josh richardson that he would be as good as he is right now and was last season. I remember that my dad and I had season tickets and josh would travel or make a bad pass or what not and i thought to myself why is he on the court. His defense was good but not excellent (freshman year folks). I guess the key is you have to trust what a coach sees or you'll be upset all the time. Also he could be told to wait because they want to evaluate him longer or wait and see how the class fills out. I also trust a coach who has developed 24 NBA draft picks and over 600 wins over mine or anyother eyes on this forum (no offense).

I think it was having to do with Eli Wright. I don't care much for IU, and me being a biased UK homer I said they weren't a major offer.

Maybe I was butthurt that day.

Which turns out to look foolish as Eli Wright is now one of the hottest prospects in the country with others in the last couple weeks from: Florida, Louisville, UNLV, UCLA and UCONN.

Neither would Charles Mosley or Joc Bruce, but lots of times commitments are used by coaches as momentum builders, or after a bad incident or loss.

Bruce is a great example cried after he was offered and committed nearly immediately

Mosley was offered by Bama and was pretty highly ranked. If you meant the other he committed almost immediately after the offer

Thanks for making my point

Last edited:
Bruce is a great example cried after he was offered and committed nearly immediately

Mosley was offered by Bama and was pretty highly ranked. If you meant the other he committed almost immediately after the offer

Thanks for making my point

Mosley was not all that highly rated from what I recall? How long did it take the Berry's to commit after they were offered? Are you really going to argue that coaches don't ever have kids keep their commitments silent, you're smarter than that, I thought.

VN Store

Back