'16 FL F De'Riante Jenkins

He said because he wanted to play this year and he knew that was the only way that would happen. During his recruitment he insisted on being given a chance at QB, it was reported that Jones told him he'd give him minimum 2 years at QB, it took 1 fall practice for the move to happen.

Yes, but the move happened because he saw a quicker path to playing time. If he wanted to stay and compete solely at QB, I'm sure that option was still on the table. I wouldn't be so quick to call Butch a liar over that issue.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought it was reported that Jennings asked to be moved.

He did and if anyone had bothered to read the long interview with Jennings on the other site they would have seen the story in his own words. He stated that he wanted to see the field as soon as possible and went to the coaches and asked to be given a shot. If not he would still have been at QB and the staff was preparing some wildcat packages for him. Now it appears that he has potential elite possibilities at the WR position.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, but the move happened because he saw a quicker path to playing time. If he wanted to stay and compete solely at QB, I'm sure that option was still on the table. I wouldn't be so quick to call Butch a liar over that issue.

There's many examples, Charles Mosley was switched sides of the ball very quickly as well after being "recruited" as a DB. There's nothing wrong with it, it happens all over, but people acting like coaches don't lie to these recruits are beyond naive.

What do you think Butch is telling Gurantino? That he'll sit behind Dormandy for 2-3 years and quite possibly get beaten out by Johnson and never start a game for Tennessee at QB? Heck no, I'm sure he's telling him Dormandy will be in the league in 2 years and his will be JG's team, that HJ will have to wait for his turn behind JG.

He did and if anyone had bothered to read the long interview with Jennings on the other site they would have seen the story in his own words. He stated that he wanted to see the field as soon as possible and went to the coaches and asked to be given a shot. If not he would still have been at QB and the staff was preparing some wildcat packages for him. Now it appears that he has potential elite possibilities at the WR position.

there were many scouts who said if he'd drop the QB act and commit to WR he would've been an elite recruit, this isn't really a huge surprise.

Last edited:
there were many scouts who said if he'd drop the QB act and commit to WR he would've been an elite recruit, this isn't really a huge surprise.

That's a fact but I was responding to the part that said that Coach Jones lied to him. He was getting a shot at QB and wasn't "lied" to.

Reactions: 3 people
That's a fact but I was responding to the part that said that Coach Jones lied to him. He was getting a shot at QB and wasn't "lied" to.

Neither you nor I know the exact discussion, Jennings wants to play and isn't going to publicly say that jones lied to him while trying to compete for a starting job.

Looking at it from the outside though Jennings was armament in his recruitment about only playing QB, said jones told him he'd get 2 years at that position, whether the move was strongly encouraged by jones or completely Jennings idea we won't know, and likely never will.

I'm not gonna argue about Jennings though, this happens every day in recruiting, players are lied to. Take a look at some of the things players have said that have transferred out that were recruited to Tennessee by Jones. All my point was, was that it's entirely possible Blackwell is being told sure you can come here and be a 3 by multiple coaches, but once he arrives on campus and starts practicing will strongly be advised to play the 4.

Last edited:
There's many examples, Charles Mosley was switched sides of the ball very quickly as well after being "recruited" as a DB. There's nothing wrong with it, it happens all over, but people acting like coaches don't lie to these recruits are beyond naive.

What do you think Butch is telling Gurantino? That he'll sit behind Dormandy for 2-3 years and quite possibly get beaten out by Johnson and never start a game for Tennessee at QB? Heck no, I'm sure he's telling him Dormandy will be in the league in 2 years and his will be JG's team, that HJ will have to wait for his turn behind JG.

Similar to what wtorange said, I'm focusing specifically on the Jennings example and the idea that you believe CBJ explicitly lied to him about his opportunity to play QB.

Charles Mosley was recruited to play DL, but the injury put him behind at the position, and in the meantime, two elite DTs came into the fray. At the same time, a need opened up at OG, and I'm sure he was given a choice. He was 3rd string at best at DT, and he's pushing for a starting spot at OG. He isn't stupid, and he doesn't want to sit the bench when he can contribute at another spot.

Guarantano is being recruited as a QB. That isn't really up for debate. His situation and Jennings' situation are really nothing alike. Jennings always knew a position switch was a possibility, and he knew that upfront. He just chose to accelerate it to get himself on the field much sooner.

As I said, I'm not gonna go on about Jennings or football in general, look at quotes from the players that have left...many successful coaches lie in recruiting, to some extent you have to sometimes, there's nothing wrong with this, but acting like coaches don't embellish, stretch the truth or fib a little bit to a high school recruit is beyond naive.

As I said, I'm not gonna go on about Jennings or football in general, look at quotes from the players that have left...many successful coaches lie in recruiting, to some extent you have to sometimes, there's nothing wrong with this, but acting like coaches don't embellish, stretch the truth or fib a little bit to a high school recruit is beyond naive.

100% accurate

I don't disagree. I just think Jauan Jennings was a terrible example to use. For that matter, every football example you used was a bad example of coaches lying. And again, you brought up football, not anyone else.

That said, I agree with the general idea of your above post.

I don't disagree. I just think Jauan Jennings was a terrible example to use. For that matter, every football example you used was a bad example of coaches lying. And again, you brought up football, not anyone else.

That said, I agree with the general idea of your above post.

Randall Cobb at Kentucky. Told him they'd give me a shot at qb look how that turned out. Reason he didn't come to Tennessee is that Fulmer wanted him only at wr.

Jennings is listed on the roster as WR/QB. He's probably QB #3 and puts WR on hold if Dobbs or Dormady are injured. However, redshirting Jones isn't as critical based on the 2016 and 2017 QB commits, so maybe Jones is the backup with an injury.

I wonder how long it takes to show the Jennings jet sweep pass option. Actually that would be illegal... I'm pretty sure that there's a rule limiting forward passes to one per down.

Which forum am I in?

Jennings is listed on the roster as WR/QB. He's probably QB #3 and puts WR on hold if Dobbs or Dormady are injured. However, redshirting Jones isn't as critical based on the 2016 and 2017 QB commits, so maybe Jones is the backup with an injury.

I wonder how long it takes to show the Jennings jet sweep pass option. Actually that would be illegal... I'm pretty sure that there's a rule limiting forward passes to one per down.

Which forum am I in?

I don't even want to think about Dobbs getting injured.

Randall Cobb at Kentucky. Told him they'd give me a shot at qb look how that turned out. Reason he didn't come to Tennessee is that Fulmer wanted him only at wr.

Clear miss by Fulmer . But I also remember Fulmer convincing Jason Witten to play TE. Jason wanted to play defensive end. Worked out pretty good......IMO

Clear miss by Fulmer . But I also remember Fulmer convincing Jason Witten to play TE. Jason wanted to play defensive end. Worked out pretty good......IMO

How is that a miss? He told him he'd be better at WR and he didn't listen. Now he's an all pro receiver. Seems like Fulmer got it right and the kid didn't want to hear it.

How is that a miss? He told him he'd be better at WR and he didn't listen. Now he's an all pro receiver. Seems like Fulmer got it right and the kid didn't want to hear it.

I guess because he didn't come here. That was the price Coach Fulmer paid for telling the truth.

I guess it depends on what you mean by miss, but clearly Fulmer and staff saw the potential at WR that Cobb himself didn't, or perhaps didn't want to see because of his preference to play QB.

If nothing else, that staff had a knack for taking athletes and molding them into great position players. Jason Witten, James Banks, CJ Fayton, Dominique Stevenson, Eddie Moore, Kelly Washington, are a few that immediately come to mind. They also turned several safeties into LBs over the years. Wasn't Al Wilson a HS safety?

Story was that Fulmer slow played Cobb and didn't really recruit him until he had committed to KY. Cobb wanted to remain loyal to KY at that point.

Story was that Fulmer slow played Cobb and didn't really recruit him until he had committed to KY. Cobb wanted to remain loyal to KY at that point.

I watched several of Cobbs High School games and I never envisioned him being a dominant college player and especially a pro. Kudos to him for proving me and the people that doubted him wrong.

I watched several of Cobbs High School games and I never envisioned him being a dominant college player and especially a pro. Kudos to him for proving me and the people that doubted him wrong.

Agreed. Was he a local freak at the time? Yes but I wouldn't have put him anywhere near where he is.

Good for him. I would've loved to see him here, but it certainly worked out the best for him.

@UpwardStarsSE: De'Riante Jenkins @ImThat_Dude15 checks in at #57 on Scout & #61 on ESPN Updated 2016 Rankings #playwithpurpose #upwardstars #adidasuprising

Rivals has him #63 and 247 as #60, all have had him rising, looks like he's solidifying himself as a top 50-60 prospect at worst.

I like his game. Looks like he can finish with both hands, has pretty good vision, handles the bball decent and can knock it down from deep. Other than Bone he's my biggest want, from a realistic standpoint.

I like his game. Looks like he can finish with both hands, has pretty good vision, handles the bball decent and can knock it down from deep. Other than Bone he's my biggest want, from a realistic standpoint.

Considering Jenkins is our highest rated target, he would be the crown jewel of the class. I really wanted Blackwell because we've been on him for so long. Bone is the depth in PG that we've never really had (maybe Maze and Goins?). I like the potential of these recruits and the pieces they add to the roster.

Several experts on the 247 site are calling him to the Vols as of today. Let's hope they are right.

VN Store

Back