'16 FL F De'Riante Jenkins

It's sprinkling - we should build an ark. The sun went down - what if it never comes back up? I hope my car doesn't explode the next time I start it like in that movie. Some of the posters here either have an agenda or they are sheep/women. Give Barnes a chance - as long as he wins games it doesn't matter who he signs.

I guess that's our disagreement. I think winning games depends a heckuva a lot on who you sign.

Reactions: 1 person
People that are complaining about this class don't understand basketball recruiting. It's not the same as football recruiting for the most part. I would argue that basketball recruiting more closely resembles QB recruiting than anything else. These kids are identified early and recruited for years in most cases. Coaches zero in on their targets and pursue them for a long period of time. Relationships are built over time and it's hard to start recruiting top 100 players to your school right before their senior year. Many kids commit during summer prior to their senior season and the majority of the better players sign in the fall. That's not a lot of time.

Give Barnes some time. This was never going to be a great class. Signing a top 15 class in 2016 would have been remarkable.

Missing out on one recruit doesn't mean Barnes won't recruit well here.

Reactions: 4 people
People that are complaining about this class don't understand basketball recruiting. It's not the same as football recruiting for the most part. I would argue that basketball recruiting more closely resembles QB recruiting than anything else. These kids are identified early and recruited for years in most cases. Coaches zero in on their targets and pursue them for a long period of time. Relationships are built over time and it's hard to start recruiting top 100 players to your school right before their senior year. Many kids commit during summer prior to their senior season and the majority of the better players sign in the fall. That's not a lot of time.

Give Barnes some time. This was never going to be a great class. Signing a top 15 class in 2016 would have been remarkable.

Missing out on one recruit doesn't mean Barnes won't recruit well here.

I agree with the last statement. He has time to turn this around. Really needs a good class in '17, though.

Re: the relationship issue, (a) where are the relationships Barnes and Lanier were developing for the last several years of recruiting at a high level for Texas? Barnes and Lanier should have more and better relationships with high level recruits than any staff in the country other than UK, Duke, UNC and maybe Kansas. (b) How do coaches sign high level recruits in their first years like Wade at VCU? It isn't unheard of for a coach to have a great class in his first year.

Jenkins' AAU coach said Wade had been recruiting Jenkins while Wade was still at UTC and that relationship helped Wade when he went to VCU. Why would that work for Wade at VCU, but not work for Barnes with any of the guys he was recruiting for Texas? That's a mystery and disappointment to me.

I agree with the last statement. He has time to turn this around. Really needs a good class in '17, though.

Re: the relationship issue, (a) where are the relationships Barnes and Lanier were developing for the last several years of recruiting at a high level for Texas? Barnes and Lanier should have more and better relationships with high level recruits than any staff in the country other than UK, Duke, UNC and maybe Kansas. (b) How do coaches sign high level recruits in their first years like Wade at VCU? It isn't unheard of for a coach to have a great class in his first year.

Jenkins' AAU coach said Wade had been recruiting Jenkins while Wade was still at UTC and that relationship helped Wade when he went to VCU. Why would that work for Wade at VCU, but not work for Barnes with any of the guys he was recruiting for Texas? That's a mystery and disappointment to me.

A.) That's a fair point. I'm not sure what targets were carried over from the Texas years. Maybe BTO can add some insight. I'm not sure if they continued to target the same kids or if they have kinda started over.

B.) I'm not saying you can't sign high level recruits. I'm just saying that the first class at a new place doesn't tell the whole story. You're coming in extremely late. I remember people questioning Butch Jones ability to recruit during his first few months here.

Props to Will Wade (who was my pick for us to hire this last go around) for landing Jenkins. We landed Bone who was a VCU target also. Jenkins obviously liked Wade. Maybe Wade moving to VCU was enough to get him over the edge. (kinda like Vic Wharton committing to Butch. It was a slam dunk once Butch took the UT job. Vic loved him at Cincy)

On a side note, I don't expect miracles from Barnes here. I think he was a good hire because our program really needed the stability he brings. Let's watch what he does in 2017. I think you'll see a much better class.

It's sprinkling - we should build an ark. The sun went down - what if it never comes back up? I hope my car doesn't explode the next time I start it like in that movie. Some of the posters here either have an agenda or they are sheep/women. Give Barnes a chance - as long as he wins games it doesn't matter who he signs.

What he said.

I do not know who CRB was recruiting at TX, but it could be a regional issue. If his main targets were west of TX, it would be more difficult possibly to get them to consider TN (family, travel etc.) Wade was in Jenkins backyard for the last couple of years.
If CRB fails at TN, it will not be because he lost Jenkins. It is not like we just missed on Kobe or LeBron.

Reactions: 2 people
Hahahaha how typical. We miss on one recruit, and the basketball program is over.

Has anyone said "break out the black curtains" yet?

Lmao.

VN Store

Back