'16 FL F De'Riante Jenkins

Maybe Fulkerson could play the power forward and center positions if he commits to UT and bulks up to 235-245.

Trying to and getting there are two different things. You just don't go from 260 to 215 with that kind of frame. Just like a fit 225 would be a stretch goal for Fulkerson and his body type. I'd bet the Schofield never gets under 230 and, with his frame, that would be a major accomplishment.

Thought I read he was already down to 230?

PG: Jordan Bone
SG/SF: Josh Okogie/De'Riante Jenkins
SF/PF: Braxton Blackwell/Jordan Bruner
*SF/PF/C: Grant Williams*
PF/C: John Fulkerson
C: Bruno Fernando

I don't see much overlap, Bone/Okogie/Jenkins/Williams/Fulkerson are all visiting the same weekend, I think this staff is very high on all of them. The only commitment I question if they might try to slow play of that group is Okogie, in hopes of getting an answer first from say Jenkins or Blackwell.

**its hard to know what to list Williams as, and many scouts say that about him, he doesn't exactly have a position he's just a basketball player. He can slim down and improve his handles and be a 3/4, or he can shape up a little, get stronger, and be an undersized 4/5 that can handle the ball a la Jeronne Maymon.

You may be right, but there are 6 guys that have the ability to play the 3 (you listed Fulkerson as a 4/5, but he seems to have enough skill to play at the 3). Guys like Okogie and Jenkins don't really fit the post role, but the rest of the guys do.

I can see us taking guys like Blackwell and Fulkerson together because of their differing skillsets (Blackwell's strength is slashing and Fulkerson's strength is shooting). But it's hard to load up on a position with guys that have the same skillset. Eventually one of the guys will look elsewhere.

You may be right, but there are 6 guys that have the ability to play the 3 (you listed Fulkerson as a 4/5, but he seems to have enough skill to play at the 3). Guys like Okogie and Jenkins don't really fit the post role, but the rest of the guys do.

I can see us taking guys like Blackwell and Fulkerson together because of their differing skillsets (Blackwell's strength is slashing and Fulkerson's strength is shooting). But it's hard to load up on a position with guys that have the same skillset. Eventually one of the guys will look elsewhere.

Bone/Jenkins/Blackwell/Fulkerson/Williams....I feel there's enough flexibility that you could play 1-5 with that squad.

I think Fulkerson is definitely more of a 5 than a 3 fwiw, he lacks both the game and athletic ability to play the 3 at a SEC level IMO

Last edited:
Bone/Jenkins/Blackwell/Fulkerson/Williams....I feel there's enough flexibility that you could play 1-5 with that squad.

I definitely would take that squad as long as everyone knew their roles and their strengths. Hard to have Williams at the 5 with his height. Also, hard to have Fulk down at the 5 with his weight. I would like to get a true big (Fernando).

I definitely would take that squad as long as everyone knew their roles and their strengths. Hard to have Williams at the 5 with his height. Also, hard to have Fulk down at the 5 with his weight. I would like to get a true big (Fernando).

It's why they want Fulk to add weight so badly, this prep year is big for him, really needs to get stronger. I agree a true 5 would be nice, but I think Kasongo & Alexander are the very definition of true 5's, when you look at a 4, besides McGhee we don't have much there, so maybe the staff is ok without a true 5 in this class, idk.

It's why they want Fulk to add weight so badly, this prep year is big for him, really needs to get stronger. I agree a true 5 would be nice, but I think Kasongo & Alexander are the very definition of true 5's, when you look at a 4, besides McGhee we don't have much there, so maybe the staff is ok without a true 5 in this class, idk.

I can see Fulk as a stretch 4. Some scouts mention his handle and outside shot so I could see him like a stretch 4 that can take guys off the bounce. Added weight will help him bang down low (I know...twss) defensively. Seems like he has a better frame than Tariq did for adding bulk.

I can see Fulk as a stretch 4. Some scouts mention his handle and outside shot so I could see him like a stretch 4 that can take guys off the bounce. Added weight will help him bang down low (I know...twss) defensively. Seems like he has a better frame than Tariq did for adding bulk.

I've not seen his outside shot complimented or mentioned as a strength, would definitely change my view of him if accurate.

@UpwardStarsSE: De'Riante Jenkins @ImThat_Dude15 checks in at #57 on Scout & #61 on ESPN Updated 2016 Rankings #playwithpurpose #upwardstars #adidasuprising

Rivals has him #63 and 247 as #60, all have had him rising, looks like he's solidifying himself as a top 50-60 prospect at worst.

@UpwardStarsSE: De'Riante Jenkins @ImThat_Dude15 checks in at #57 on Scout & #61 on ESPN Updated 2016 Rankings #playwithpurpose #upwardstars #adidasuprising

Rivals has him #63 and 247 as #60, all have had him rising, looks like he's solidifying himself as a top 50-60 prospect at worst.

Looking solely at rankings and the direction they are heading he looks to be a better catch than Blackwell

Looking solely at rankings and the direction they are heading he looks to be a better catch than Blackwell

I don't think that can even be debated, a more debatable statement would be, as a 4, and the direction both are headed, is Fulkerson a better catch than Blackwell?

6 months ago who would've even thought that could be discussed?

I don't think that can even be debated, a more debatable statement would be, as a 4, and the direction both are headed, is Fulkerson a better catch than Blackwell?

Yea it's worth discussing. Still not sold that either will rise/fall that much though

Does Braxton even see himself as a 4? I thought he was more set on being a 3.

Does Braxton even see himself as a 4? I thought he was more set on being a 3.

Not sure it really matters.

Did Jennings see himself as a QB or WR? When you get to school you're gonna be given the truth, see your competition, and probably take the route that gets you on the field/court quickest.

Yea it's worth discussing. Still not sold that either will rise/fall that much though

Blackwell has fallen roughly 60 spots in the last year, another 15-40 spots in ~8 months seems plausible.

Fulkerson has gone from outside the top 275 to 163 in 2 months, another 63-88 spots in ~8 months seems plausible IMO.

Not sure it really matters.

Did Jennings see himself as a QB or WR? When you get to school you're gonna be given the truth, see your competition, and probably take the route that gets you on the field/court quickest.

I'd agree with your last paragraph. However, I believe how he sees himself matters as far as recruiting is concerned. He may not consider programs that want him to be a 4 if he wants to play the 3. I don't know that for a fact, but some prospects are like that.

I'd agree with your last paragraph. However, I believe how he sees himself matters as far as recruiting is concerned. He may not consider programs that want him to be a 4 if he wants to play the 3. I don't know that for a fact, but some prospects are like that.

Absolutely, that's what my point was. Butch recruited Jennings as a QB, supposedly told him he'd get 2 years at QB before moving positions, 1 day after fall camp and he's at WR, coaches lie, nothing new.

Actually Jennings requested to be moved to Wr

He said because he wanted to play this year and he knew that was the only way that would happen. During his recruitment he insisted on being given a chance at QB, it was reported that Jones told him he'd give him minimum 2 years at QB, it took 1 fall practice for the move to happen.

VN Store

Back