'15 TN WR Van Jefferson

In regard to Josh Malone...

Robert Meachem
DaRick Rogers
Denarius Moore
Donta Stallworth
Peerless Price

These are just a few of the guys who have become high level receivers for us that didn't necessarily set the world on fire their freshman year. I think it is way too early to decide whether Josh Malone has lived up to 5-star billing.

Never too early for VN coaches to proclaim a player or coach a failure. They won the superbowl the first time they played Madden.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm not sure where this narrative of Malone not giving effort started. It has been said on here by someone who knows him that he doesn't have an overly confident or aggressive personality. Basically he hasn't developed into an "alpha male" yet but that doesn't mean he is giving poor effort. I have seen people say that all year with nothing tangible to back it up.

Do you watch the games? He gives obvious poor effort for any contested ball. I don't have any doubts that changes when he is more confident with another year in weight room

I'm not sure where this narrative of Malone not giving effort started. It has been said on here by someone who knows him that he doesn't have an overly confident or aggressive personality. Basically he hasn't developed into an "alpha male" yet but that doesn't mean he is giving poor effort. I have seen people say that all year with nothing tangible to back it up.

:)
9291_cdac.jpeg

Reactions: 1 person
I find that Tennessee produces ALOT of 4-5 Star college busts. The overall takent in Tennessee, though better than years past, is overrated IMO. It certainly doesn't stack up against AL and LA.

This could have been a discussion in year's past, but as you mention yourself, this is changing. The talent in TN is multiplying, and the players are really good. Just look at the rankings from 2011 when Tiny was the #1 player and compare it to last year or even two years ago. I believe there were 2 four stars in 2011. Last year, there were 2 five stars. Hurd, Malone, Barnett, Robinson, Reeves-Maybin, Bell, and Ramsey have all made contributions just in the last 2 years. Then, you have the entire Ole Miss backfield (Dodson, Wilkins, Mathers, and Walton) all recruited from TN 2-3 years ago. Talent is improving, and we need to own the state. 2015 is deep in TN, and it is only getting better.

Yes, that is exactly what I said. Cool post.

I just think he has been disappointing thus far, given all the camp hype. I don't think that's really that big of a stretch. Compare him with other players who had camp hype and have not been disappointing in the least (Hurd, Barnett, Pearson, etc.).

Every freshman is different in terms of the time it takes to get totally acclimated to the college game. Just because he has taken a bit longer than others doesn't mean he's not the player we thought we were gonna get. He just needs some more time. Yes, sometimes his effort hasn't been where it should be for sure, but he's got a really good coach teaching him the right ways to be a better receiver. Don't give up on him yet

Reactions: 3 people
Every freshman is different in terms of the time it takes to get totally acclimated to the college game. Just because he has taken a bit longer than others doesn't mean he's not the player we thought we were gonna get. He just needs some more time. Yes, sometimes his effort hasn't been where it should be for sure, but he's got a really good coach teaching him the right ways to be a better receiver. Don't give up on him yet

Agreed...good post. :good!:

Malone is going to be fine once the game slows down for him. You can see the potential there he just has to put it together. Not all kids can do that quickly, you come in from playing high school Tennessee competition to SEC competition and things are just A LOT faster. You still see him get separation, get in good position at times. He just needs to do that consistently and catch the ball instead of trying to make yardage before he secures the football. Malone like Josh Smith will make some critics eat their words.

With Slayton to UGA, they now have 5 WR commits.

Hopefully this encourages Van to give UT a serious look.

OV said UGA wanted Slayton more than Abernathy. That would have me thinking UGA views Slayton as only a CB and would not impact Jefferson like I had hoped it would.

That may be true but it certainly gives UT some ammunition if they push hard for Van.

How so?

If UGA is recruiting Slayton as a CB, and Slayton obviously knows this if he picked them, why would that affect Jefferson as a WR at all? Am I missing something?

if that's the case I guess Slayton doesn't mind being a CB I though that wasn't the case.

I find that Tennessee produces ALOT of 4-5 Star college busts. The overall takent in Tennessee, though better than years past, is overrated IMO. It certainly doesn't stack up against AL and LA.

I doubt the percentages differ much from most states.

Do you watch the games? He gives obvious poor effort for any contested ball. I don't have any doubts that changes when he is more confident with another year in weight room

Does that mean "poor effort". Maybe it is just semantics. I see it is as a lack of aggression...timidity. Some guys are more prone to be "mean", aggressive and knock someone's head off. For some guys it takes a little longer and more self confidence to develop into that guy. I have dealt with many people that as they get older they get more aggressive/"strong" as they become more self assured. It doesn't mean he is lazy or mailing it in.

I don't know him...I just think we make a lot of assumptions by looking at the final seconds of a long pass play.

Last edited:
Does that mean "poor effort". Maybe it is just semantics. I see it is as a lack of aggression...timidity. Some guys are more prone to be "mean", aggressive and knock someone's head off. For some guys it takes a little longer and more self confidence to develop into that guy. I have dealt with many people that as they get older they get more aggressive/"strong" as they become more self assured. It doesn't mean he is lazy or mailing it in.

I don't know him...I just think we make a lot of assumptions by looking at the final seconds of a long pass play.

That's how being "timid" or "unsure of yourself" looks a lot of times. It looks like lack of effort. Either way it is usually the same result. I think (hope) he will be fine with time and maturity.

why would something fishy need to be going on. They don't lack or need money. Doesn't his dad coach for the titans. If this is still true. Money wouldn't be a huge sway here. I know we've read on here multiple times that Mark R. sways parents with his faith, so that could be it. Who knows...We need this kid in orange though.

I never said a word about money, and honestly the thought never crossed my mind. Richt has a lot of faults but I just don't see that happening.

I would not bring up arrests at this time with a major situation going on here at UT.

Pretty significant difference between two players who haven't even been charged with a crime and a program thats been a symbol for it the last 5-7 years. Theres about 10-12 players currently playing at other schools that UGA had to bounce for arrests.

With Preston W. acting as flaky as cheap paintjob, They really need to put a full court press on this kid. WR class is looking real..meh..to me now.

With Preston W. acting as flaky as cheap paintjob, They really need to put a full court press on this kid. WR class is looking real..meh..to me now.

He reaffirmed his commitment, just wanting some attention. Azzanni has already in-homed since the UGA visit and I don't see any reason to worry atm.

He reaffirmed his commitment, just wanting some attention. Azzanni has already in-homed since the UGA visit and I don't see any reason to worry atm.

I hope you are right, but I was not just worried about his commitment. More about things like blowing off Dr Andrews. I mean IF TRUE (big if), that shows some really bad judgement. We really don't nedd any more dumbassery from players

VN Store

Back