'15 TN WR Van Jefferson

Meh...sounds more like courtesy visits to appease his dad, who doesn't seem comfortable with UGA. I still think he ends up in Athens, but I'd like to be wrong.

not a courtesy visit at all, dad and Van both have spoken to me on several occasions and neither like the qb situation or the offense at UGA. However mom is the UGA factor and the pro bowl blocker from Van going to games. In the end if he doesn't go to UGA it will be UT.

I think it is all mental, Malone had some nice flashes early in the year but then seemed to play timid as the physical defenses rolled into town.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, that is exactly what I said. Cool post.

I just think he has been disappointing thus far, given all the camp hype. I don't think that's really that big of a stretch. Compare him with other players who had camp hype and have not been disappointing in the least (Hurd, Barnett, Pearson, etc.).

Pearson's had a few YEARS since high school? Your other examples are for other positions that players usually emerge at an early pace.

not a courtesy visit at all, dad and Van both have spoken to me on several occasions and neither like the qb situation or the offense at UGA. However mom is the UGA factor and the pro bowl blocker from Van going to games. In the end if he doesn't go to UGA it will be UT.

Wow! Can't believe dad's advice doesn't hold the most weight in this recruitment, considering his football knowledge and profession. Are the parents still married? If not, I wonder if mom is getting an incentive from Georgia.

Wow! Can't believe dad's advice doesn't hold the most weight in this recruitment, considering his football knowledge and profession. Are the parents still married? If not, I wonder if mom is getting an incentive from Georgia.

We all know if wifey ain't happy nobody's happy. You always have to win the mom

Precisely. 5 star athletes are usually ones who can contribute in some way immediately based off of their physical ability. WRs in particular. I don't see that physical ability with Malone.

And yeah, we know rankings are all a crapshoot. I hope he can get better with another offseason in the weight room and better OL/QB play.

22 catches and a TD isn't contributing?

I just don't understand this. Why would any mother push her child to go to a program that has been so closely linked to arrests/discipline problems for so long. I'm not saying it's not true, but the other poster is dead on about something being fishy.

I just don't understand this. Why would any mother push her child to go to a program that has been so closely linked to arrests/discipline problems for so long. I'm not saying it's not true, but the other poster is dead on about something being fishy.

why would something fishy need to be going on. They don't lack or need money. Doesn't his dad coach for the titans. If this is still true. Money wouldn't be a huge sway here. I know we've read on here multiple times that Mark R. sways parents with his faith, so that could be it. Who knows...We need this kid in orange though.

In regard to Josh Malone...

Robert Meachem
DaRick Rogers
Denarius Moore
Donta Stallworth
Peerless Price

These are just a few of the guys who have become high level receivers for us that didn't necessarily set the world on fire their freshman year. I think it is way too early to decide whether Josh Malone has lived up to 5-star billing.

Reactions: 12 people

I would not bring up arrests at this time with a major situation going on here at UT.

Robert Meachem
DaRick Rogers
Denarius Moore
Donta Stallworth
Peerless Price

These are just a few of the guys who have become high level receivers for us that didn't necessarily set the world on fire their freshman year. I think it is way too early to decide whether Josh Malone has lived up to 5-star billing.

And consider the correlating lack of OL and QB issues, relatively speaking, with a lot of those WR's frosh seasons.

I was curious how others did. I looked at the top HS 10 WRs listed by 247 for 2014.

Josh Malone TN- 22-227-1TD
Allen Lazard ISU- 43-577-3TD
Cameron Sims ALA- 7-62-1TD
Ermon Lane FSU- 11-245-1TD
Justin Bent ND- No Stats
Speedy Noil A&M- 44-559-5TD
KD Cannon BAY- 47-800-6TD
Travis Rudolph FSU- 27-421-3TD
Malachi Dupree LSU- 14-311-5TD
Johnnie Dixon OSU- 4 carries, 20 yards.

I find that Tennessee produces ALOT of 4-5 Star college busts. The overall takent in Tennessee, though better than years past, is overrated IMO. It certainly doesn't stack up against AL and LA.

I think it could mean a few things. False info or contradictory info being pumped out by a poster for one.

I find that Tennessee produces ALOT of 4-5 Star college busts. The overall takent in Tennessee, though better than years past, is overrated IMO. It certainly doesn't stack up against AL and LA.

Wouldn't say overrated a lot from this state have left the state and done very well. Nobody has ever said the talent in TN is close to LA, ,FL etc Every state has 4-5* busts every yr.The last few yrs the talent has improved significantly.As of 2013 total NFL players from TN is 35, which ranks #15. Ala has 48 which ranks 11. So TN isn't far behind Ala. Cal, Flor, Tx, Ohio and GA produce the most by far.But Ala has to go out of state a good bit as well, just like TN. But the last few yrs the HS in TN has seen a huge increase and would expect for it to keep climbing. TN, Ala, AU still have to recruit GA, FL, and NC a lot to keep up. That's why I don't understand how GA, Ohio St and teams from Fla and Cal are dominating championships yearly in Football.

Robert Meachem
DaRick Rogers
Denarius Moore
Donta Stallworth
Peerless Price

Very rarely do freshman WRs become instant stars that consistently dominate. You prefer to give them a specifc role among a team of veterans. Malone has his faults in terms of effort and habits but it's obvious when he does get the ball why he was a 5 star

Very rarely do freshman WRs become instant stars that consistently dominate. You prefer to give them a specifc role among a team of veterans. Malone has his faults in terms of effort and habits but it's obvious when he does get the ball why he was a 5 star

Way too early to give up on him. He has the talent I think. I hope he has the heart. I know this may not be a valid comparison but when i watched him play defense in HS it was obvious that he didn't like contact. Hope that doesn't have anything to do with what seems like a lack of effort.

I'm not sure where this narrative of Malone not giving effort started. It has been said on here by someone who knows him that he doesn't have an overly confident or aggressive personality. Basically he hasn't developed into an "alpha male" yet but that doesn't mean he is giving poor effort. I have seen people say that all year with nothing tangible to back it up.

VN Store

Back