'15 TN ATH Nathan Cottrell

Another Knoxville kid who we probably shouldn't recruit. Not trying to be negative but we have take quite a few of them that just aren't SEC material.

Did you even read the posts above yours? Yes - you are trying to be negative.

Another Knoxville kid who we probably shouldn't recruit. Not trying to be negative but we have take quite a few of them that just aren't SEC material.

Every prospect is unique and should be evaluated on his own merits, regardless of where he plays.

Cottrell is an elite athlete with exceptional speed & playmaking ability. It's not his fault that previous UT staffs have whiffed on some local reaches, nor that they failed to offer some Knoxville-area prospects who are now in the NFL.

Reactions: 1 person
Kid is fast, I'll give him that. His competition looks questionable to say the least.

I could see him at a program like Duke.

Last edited:
Kid is fast, I'll give him that. His competition looks questionable to say the least.

I have never understood that thinking. "His competition is questionable" so the kid is not a take. All a kid can do is to show out VS the kids playing against him. A star will always shine and this kid, per his stats has done that. I am not saying CBJ will be beating down his door, but to say he is not a take based on who he is making a fool of on the field is just silly IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
I have never understood that thinking. "His competition is questionable" so the kid is not a take. All a kid can do is to show out VS the kids playing against him. A star will always shine and this kid, per his stats has done that. I am not saying CBJ will be beating down his door, but to say he is not a take based on who he is making a fool of on the field is just silly IMO.

And Lets remember Todd Kelly plays in the lowest division in the state. Webb and St. George look like a Middle school championship at best. Fr ok m an offensive perspective, If Kelly played for west in Cottrell's spot I believe his stats would be average

It is attitudes like this that made it difficult to recruit the top players in the state in the past. Fulmer started the decline with in-state kids by ignoring them to the last minute.

I agree. TKjr needs to look for another school.

\sarcasm.

And Lets remember Todd Kelly plays in the lowest division in the state. Webb and St. George look like a Middle school championship at best. Fr ok m an offensive perspective, If Kelly played for west in Cottrell's spot I believe his stats would be average

Wow, hilarious. You should take your comedy routine on the road. It would be a hit.

if there white it just aint right.

Gosh, reminds me of a white QB that we took from Cleveland who played on the 1985 Sugar Vols. I think he was Steve White, who just holds the team record for 9 interceptions in a season. Many people thought he was over rated white kid too.

When Fulmer was OL coach he made a living with white kids with a Big Orange heart. Some of the best OL's we have ever had.

Any white kid(non QB) that puts up big numbers is always playing against inferior competition. Or so that's the reasoning of many.

It was pretty obvious last night watching him play was that he isn't fully recovered from a pretty bad ankle injury. Had he been 100% healthy there is no way he would have been caught from behind like he was last night on a couple of occasions, one of those by Henry County's kicker that saved a TD.

His second fumble was pretty much caused by the fact a HC lineman was in the backfield right at the moment he was taking the handoff and had not been able to tuck it away.

With another year of S&C he will have a very good chance to play D1 ball.

I think he's a D1 talent. Is he SEC material? I dont know. I wish him the best.

I think they might be a little better than average but there is some truth in what you are saying. Webb, Catholic, CAK, and Grace do feast off inferior teams.

TKjr did stand out against Alcoa early in the year. But his level of competition has been below average, even for East Tennessee. It may have been a different story if he had played for Farragut, Bearden, Oak Ridge, etc. He would have possibly been a big fish in a big pond instead of a big fish in a little pond.

It's pretty clear you think TK is overrated. You are correct that he has played against weak competition his entire HS career except for those games he played against Maryville, Alcoa etc. However, you can't negate that fact that he has shown his athletic ability at camps etc. against all comers.

Will he start day one? We have no way of knowing that. He'll face tough competition from Gaulden for sure.

I think he's a D1 talent. Is he SEC material? I dont know. I wish him the best.

Slot receiver? Punt and kick return?

If the kid is a true sub 4.4, then he is sec material. Jmo

What skill set does he bring to the table? There are a lot of kids out there who can run like the wind.

Does he have flexible hips? Does he have good wiggle in his gait?

He is not overly big, so he would be limited to playing the corner and slot. Without flexible hips and wiggle, he is just another straight line speed kid.

He gave his all for his HS team last night by playing with the injury. He will really stand out next year. He does play against better competition than TKjr.

There's more to this game than straight line speed. Can he break a tackle? Especially when someone like Curt Maggitt can run that fast too?

Again, I'm pulling for the kid and if CBJ offers, I'll be the 1st to congratulate him.

It's pretty clear you think TK is overrated. You are correct that he has played against weak competition his entire HS career except for those games he played against Maryville, Alcoa etc. However, you can't negate that fact that he has shown his athletic ability at camps etc. against all comers.

Will he start day one? We have no way of knowing that. He'll face tough competition from Gaulden for sure.
Exactly. TK's stats would not be average against any high school competition in the country.

Gosh, reminds me of a white QB that we took from Cleveland who played on the 1985 Sugar Vols. I think he was Steve White, who just holds the team record for 9 interceptions in a season. Many people thought he was over rated white kid too.

The DB was Chris White, and be was from Cleveland, TN.

Steve White was a defensive lineman who played at UT.

I think they might be a little better than average but there is some truth in what you are saying. Webb, Catholic, CAK, and Grace do feast off inferior teams.

TKjr did stand out against Alcoa early in the year. But his level of competition has been below average, even for East Tennessee. It may have been a different story if he had played for Farragut, Bearden, Oak Ridge, etc. He would have possibly been a big fish in a big pond instead of a big fish in a little pond.

This

Reactions: 1 person

I know Gaulden has been to many camps, but the only report is of TK going to one FBU camp were Fortenberry said the competition was not very good. However if you look at Gauldens Film, at 6a level, and the most tackles in the state(207). And 3 pick 6's. Thats just ridiculous. Undoubtedly top five Safety in the country.

What skill set does he bring to the table? There are a lot of kids out there who can run like the wind.

Does he have flexible hips? Does he have good wiggle in his gait?

He is not overly big, so he would be limited to playing the corner and slot. Without flexible hips and wiggle, he is just another straight line speed kid.

I agree with this. Like I said, I admit the kid has straight line speed.

I just didn't see any great wiggle or elusiveness from him going against inferior competition. I think he can play D1 but not SEC jmo

The only reason I point out competition is because at 5'10 180 he's about the 3rd biggest guy on the field in most of those highlights. I'd like to see him against some legit athletes.

I know a couple of his coaches and it is true he ran a 4.40 at the Chicago SPARQ! Some of his coaches say he is a slot at the D-1 level. His postion coach said he's an RB,he said to look at the difference in how their team did from last year to this,said he played safety all year last year and was begging for him to play RB every week.Said Cottrell was the major change switching to RB! also said he's the best kick returner that he's ever seen. Other thing he said is people will have a hard time seeing him as a RB because he's white! But was like he's a RB but has to get bigger.

Stats for you:
KR: 14/700 3TD'S(ONE TD CALLED BACK)
Rushing: 131/1912/ 22 TD'S (6 tds called back with over three hundred yards) 14.5 AVG
Receiving: 16/290/ 4 TDS

VN Store

Back