'15 GA OL Marquel Harrell

good looking guard prospect. he Is definitely a road grader. and, he is a take, if we can land him.

Since his commitment in early February, the 6-foot-3, 296-pound guard has received offers from Tennessee, Alabama, Florida and others. "I'm somewhat surprised then the coaches told me that people are going to try harder to get me," Harrell said.

Harrell said he committed to the Rebels because of the family vibe he had with the coaches although he had never been on campus. "It was a family feeling and a family vibe and they are a rebuilding program and I want to be apart of a rebuilding program," Harrell offered.

"I thought Tennessee was going to be my first offer because I was talking to them first and I didn't get one and then I committed to Ole Miss and then they said I had an offer from," Harrell explained. "I've been watching Tennessee football for forever and I've been on campus and been to a camp, all I was waiting for was an offer. "

Even though he counts himself as an Ole Miss commitment he's not slowing down the process. Harrell plans on visiting numerous schools in March and that includes a visit to Tennessee at some point. "I'm still looking at all the schools I'm receiving offers from. The night I committed they told me a lot of schools were going to be coming after me so I'm still listening," Harrell said.

-VQ

Reactions: 1 person

Between this (not offering a guy who was interested early and him committing to Ole Miss because they offered him first) and the Duke Shelley situation, does it seem like maybe there is a danger that the windfall of the legacy class has maybe made the coaches too picky (i.e. that they believe so much in their recruiting prowess at this point that they think they can afford to give 4 star prospects the cold shoulder and risk not getting solid guys since they think they can get the top stars down the line)?

Between this (not offering a guy who was interested early and him committing to Ole Miss because they offered him first) and the Duke Shelley situation, does it seem like maybe there is a danger that the windfall of the legacy class has maybe made the coaches too picky (i.e. that they believe so much in their recruiting prowess at this point that they think they can afford to give 4 star prospects the cold shoulder and risk not getting solid guys since they think they can get the top stars down the line)?

No. It's called not "settling". If these coaches feel like they have a better chance at a higher graded prospect then they're gonna go full force. When is the last time UT has been able to turn away 4 star talent in hopes of getting someone better. Been a loooooonnnggg time. Don't think for one minute that this staff is getting "picky" or "complacent". They know exactly what they're capable of. Oh and remember where just "settling" has gotten this UT football in the past decade......nowhere!!

I hope so...being too picky is a good thing in recruiting, assuming you land your top targets

okay then

We're in on some of the best of the best this cycle, Butch can afford to be picky. Shelley was told at junior day he needed to come to camp and show his stuff before he could commit, per Hubbs. It will be the same way with most others that have offers from UT right now. Very few are automatic takes this early.

Hubbs pointed it out today, these "offers" are basically just letting the prospect know we're recruiting you and like what we see. But most of them will have to prove it at camps this summer and during their senior seasons to be able to actually commit.

This class is only going to have 20-25 kids. They're going to be very picky because at some positions they will only take 2-3 kids or less. Likely only 1 QB, 1 TE and 1 RB. So, if they're only taking 2 CB's this class it would make sense that they're going to take the best two they can get and at this point it's clear they don't think Shelley is that guy.

In short, it's a VERY good thing our staff is being picky. They're not going to settle for 3 star Dooley scrubs. This is Tennessee and Butch isn't f'n around. Enjoy the ride. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
We're in on some of the best of the best this cycle, Butch can afford to be picky. Shelley was told at junior day he needed to come to camp and show his stuff before he could commit, per Hubbs. It will be the same way with most others that have offers from UT right now. Very few are automatic takes this early.

Hubbs pointed it out today, these "offers" are basically just letting the prospect know we're recruiting you and like what we see. But most of them will have to prove it at camps this summer and during their senior seasons to be able to actually commit.

This class is only going to have 20-25 kids. They're going to be very picky because at some positions they will only take 2-3 kids or less. Likely only 1 QB, 1 TE and 1 RB. So, if they're only taking 2 CB's this class it would make sense that they're going to take the best two they can get and at this point it's clear they don't think Shelley is that guy.

In short, it's a VERY good thing our staff is being picky. They're not going to settle for 3 star Dooley scrubs. This is Tennessee and Butch isn't f'n around. Enjoy the ride. :hi:

'Merica

Reactions: 5 people

I think the coaches are taking a risk, but with the 2014 class headed to campus they can roll the dice a little right now. Of course they want the best of the best. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. They went all in on Cornwell last cycle and got burned. IMO a lot of it will come down to the team on the field this year. If the team looks much better, recruits will take notice and UT could have another great NSD even with a smaller class. If the season is another 5 win year with no bowl game, NSD could not turn out as we hope. I do think the staff is recruiting some quality local (TN/GA)back up plans in case they are needed late. Really comes down to if the kid is willing to be the back up plan or commits where he was wanted early on.

Dooley was picky early too...and then had to settle for 3 star scrubs. That's the risk here too. Especially if you have another 5-6 win season.

Dooley was picky early too...and then had to settle for 3 star scrubs. That's the risk here too. Especially if you have another 5-6 win season.

Did you see Butch settle for any 3 star scrubs to close the '14 class? Butch isn't Dooley.

From Hubbs...

Finally, some have asked why Tennessee decided the timing wasn't right to take Duke Shelley earlier this week and it seems the reason is Tennessee is still evaluating other corners and Shelley has very limited size and Tennessee is in good shape with other top defensive back prospects.

The Vols lead for Amadi, they are in very good shape for guys like Stephen Griffin, Garrett Taylor and the add the connection with Abernathy and that doesn't hurt you at all.

They also continue to battle for Rico McGraw

Then, there's also the possibility Cameron Ordway could receive an offer.

While there are certainly no sure things, Tennessee is after numerous prospects right now in the defensive backfield and they all seem to have the similar trait of being bigger guys.

Reactions: 1 person
Man this DB haul could be another amazing one. In very good shape for both Griffin and Taylor? Elite corner and an elite Safety right there IMO. I love Griffin. He is so fluid and far more athletic than many of these other safeties rated higher at this point. His makeup is very similar to Gaulden's IMO.

VN Store

Back