'14 TN DB Rashaan Gaulden (UT Signee 2/5/14)

He is being recruited as a safety 100%.

Earlier in the thread it was posted I think that we're recruiting him at CB. Even Gaulden said that's what Coach Martinez is pitching to him. I really like his talent on the edge. Would be fun to have a D.Miliner type of player lining up in Orange(yes I think that highly of Gaulden's potential at CB :) ).

No, Paul, Hubbs, and Buck Fitzgerald (the guy who takes him on his visits to Tennessee) have all repeatedly said that he is being recruited as a safety.

I say get him here. He'll play early at CB. Our safety depth will allow him to play early at CB. I'm very confident in McNeil, JRM, Lemond Johnson, and T.Kelly Jr. doing the job back there in the future. Put him where we can use him the most. And just develop his man to man coverage skills even more.

I say get him here. He'll play early at CB. Our safety depth will allow him to play early at CB. I'm very confident in McNeil, JRM, Lemond Johnson, and T.Kelly Jr. doing the job back there in the future. Put him where we can use him the most. And just develop his man to man coverage skills even more.

agreed with young DB's it isnt always overly important where you put them - just get the best 4 athletes out there and let them grow into their positions

We have no true FS on our roster right now. That is why he is such an important recruit. Kelly, McNeil, and Reeves-Maybin are all pure SS, Lemond is a big question mark, and Randolph, who can play FS, is much better suited as a SS.

Lemond Johnson is playing corner FYI.

No, Paul, Hubbs, and Buck Fitzgerald (the guy who takes him on his visits to Tennessee) have all repeatedly said that he is being recruited as a safety.
Per GoVols247

Unlike many of the teams recruiting him, Tennessee has expressed interest in playing Gaulden at cornerback rather than safety.

“They’re talking strictly corner for me,” he said. “If that doesn’t go well, you know, they can always put me at safety. But they really like me, on my frame, as a cornerback, so we’ll see where that goes. That’s fine (with me). Like I said, I feel like I’m an athlete. I play the wide-receiver position here (in high school). I can play the cornerback position. I can play the safety position. It’s all about the love for the game.”

Reactions: 3 people

I'm pretty sure Buck is the only one of the three saying Safety all the way. Hubbs and Fortenberry have mentioned CB many times.

I'm liking our future of the defensive backfield if we get Gaulden. That would give us Payne and Gaulden at corner then Todd Kelly JR at FS and Jaylen Reeves-Maybin at SS.

Per GoVols247

Unlike many of the teams recruiting him, Tennessee has expressed interest in playing Gaulden at cornerback rather than safety.

“They’re talking strictly corner for me,” he said. “If that doesn’t go well, you know, they can always put me at safety. But they really like me, on my frame, as a cornerback, so we’ll see where that goes. That’s fine (with me). Like I said, I feel like I’m an athlete. I play the wide-receiver position here (in high school). I can play the cornerback position. I can play the safety position. It’s all about the love for the game.”

Sounds like he has his mind made up already to be a Vol

We have no true FS on our roster right now. That is why he is such an important recruit. Kelly, McNeil, and Reeves-Maybin are all pure SS, Lemond is a big question mark, and Randolph, who can play FS, is much better suited as a SS.

I understand where you're coming from but I watched Alabama get away without a true FS for a few years now until HCD took over last year. I think Johnson or TKjr can play the FS and well. However I do want TKjr, JRM, or McNeil in the box. I also want to see JRM in action because from all reports he was a ball hawk everywhere he camped at when playing FS some. But we'll see how this thing plays out.

I understand where you're coming from but I watched Alabama get away without a true FS for a few years now until HCD took over last year. I think Johnson or TKjr can play the FS and well. However I do want TKjr, JRM, or McNeil in the box. I also want to see JRM in action because from all reports he was a ball hawk everywhere he camped at when playing FS some. But we'll see how this thing plays out.
JRM is just a straight football player. I expect him to help us out wherever we put him.

JRM is just a straight football player. I expect him to help us out wherever we put him.

i agree. i have always thought JRM had the chance to be the steal of the class.he is going to be good wherever we put him. great prospect from last class that sometimes gets forgotten

I couldnt believe how big JRm looked in the Pics I sae yesterday.Hes almost olb size

oh yeh hes got a good frame to get up around 220 or so. im really glad we got him. wish he could have been in spring ball so people could have heard more about him.

No. Brian Randolph is a pure FS. He played that all through HS. That is his territory. He is much better in coverage than most people think.

Earlier in the thread it was posted I think that we're recruiting him at CB. Even Gaulden said that's what Coach Martinez is pitching to him. I really like his talent on the edge. Would be fun to have a D.Miliner type of player lining up in Orange(yes I think that highly of Gaulden's potential at CB :) ).

Yea everything I have seen says safety. Granted he could play CB cause he has awesome cover skills, but when you get a guy like Gaulden with his cover skills and his ability to lay the wood, playing him at safety gives you a lot more flexibility cuz you could use him in the box (prob wouldn't so much with Gaulden unless he puts on more weight). I'm not gonna jinx the kid, but he is a lot like Janzen Jackson, without all the off the field concerns, but a better tackler than JJ. With all that said, I would take him at S of CB, but I think S is the smart play for him.

VN Store

Back