'14 NC CB Emmanuel Moseley (UT Commit 9/10/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were talking about star rating on Ainge's show this morning.

From what I remember, this was the comparison between UT's & Oregon's average ratings:

UT's off. avg. - 3.45
Oregon's off. avg. - 3.18

UT's def. avg. - 3.00
Oregon's def. avg. - 3.05

The point? Based on star averages alone, UT's offense is better than Oregon's offense. Let that sink in a bit.
There are a few bust candidates at WR I'm afraid. (Non FR)

I am not hating on Moseley AT ALL, but I swear the "Butch recruited Eddie Fisher as a 2*!" posts have lost their impact.

We get it. Butch made a great evaluation of a player. That ONE evaluation does not guarantee every 2* Butch offers will go #1 in the draft. Besides, I'm pretty sure every poster on VN knows about Eddie Fisher now. Let's not dwell in the past! :)

Reactions: 3 people
I am not hating on Moseley AT ALL, but I swear the "Butch recruited Eddie Fisher as a 2*!" posts have lost their impact.

We get it. Butch made a great evaluation of a player. That ONE evaluation does not guarantee every 2* Butch offers will go #1 in the draft. Besides, I'm pretty sure every poster on VN knows about Eddie Fisher now. Let's not dwell in the past! :)

Can't say this for certain since none of Butch's 2* recruits from UT have been draft eligible yet :)

I've never heard of This Eddie Fisher, brother to Eric???:crazy:

Butch signed 2* lineman Eric Fisher at CMU. He went on to be the #1 draft pick last year. I think we can trust Butch's judgement and give the kid a chance

99% of the players Butch signed at CMU were 2 stars. Not sure I like those odds. Luck?, eye for talent?, or just playing the odds?...we will find out soon enough I guess, but what happens when a Clifton Garrett or DJ Smith want to commit? I don't know how you are that confident in the future skills, work ethic, and drive of any player with any number stars to take that chance. It's not just the recruiting sites that have to be wrong...it's every other coaching staff in college football that evaluated and haven't offered him. That being said...if the coaches say he is that good then i'm 100% behind them but he better be better than the player we turn down to keep him.

Recruiting services attempt to predict talent on the basis of past performance and current physical characteristics. Coaches attempt to win games by raising the level of performance through training, education, and conditioning, and as such have a better sense of how a recruit will grow. I would wager that a coach with a good eye for talent can spend an hour with a recruit and by observing his responses to coaching, can tell you far more about his potential than a recruiting service.

Which is to say that if a recruiting service gives a recruit high marks, he is probably a good bet...but...if they give him low marks, it doesn't mean that he won't be good, it just means that it hasn't been demonstrated yet. OTOH, if a good coach offers a poorly rated guy, rest assured that he sees potential that simply hasn't been coached up yet. It'll be very interesting to see where Dews and Moseley are at the end of this season. Gut tells me there will be some surprises.

It absolutely amazes me how amazing folks perceive Oregon to be, yet their star level is almost equal to ours. Seriously...either stars tell the total picture and we have a great chance of beating them...OR...stars are only one part of the equation, and coaches like Chip Kelly know how to find the *right* talent, not necessarily *best* talent, that can be coached into what they need. My money is on the latter, and on the fact that when Butch and his staff look at a kid, they see something far different than a recruiting service sees.

Reactions: 16 people
Recruiting services attempt to predict talent on the basis of past performance and current physical characteristics. Coaches attempt to win games by raising the level of performance through training, education, and conditioning, and as such have a better sense of how a recruit will grow. I would wager that a coach with a good eye for talent can spend an hour with a recruit and by observing his responses to coaching, can tell you far more about his potential than a recruiting service.

Which is to say that if a recruiting service gives a recruit high marks, he is probably a good bet...but...if they give him low marks, it doesn't mean that he won't be good, it just means that it hasn't been demonstrated yet. OTOH, if a good coach offers a poorly rated guy, rest assured that he sees potential that simply hasn't been coached up yet. It'll be very interesting to see where Dews and Moseley are at the end of this season. Gut tells me there will be some surprises.

It absolutely amazes me how amazing folks perceive Oregon to be, yet their star level is almost equal to ours. Seriously...either stars tell the total picture and we have a great chance of beating them...OR...stars are only one part of the equation, and coaches like Chip Kelly know how to find the *right* talent, not necessarily *best* talent, that can be coached into what they need. My money is on the latter, and on the fact that when Butch and his staff look at a kid, they see something far different than a recruiting service sees.
This post should be f***ing stickied

Reactions: 3 people

Churchhhhhhhhh.
:clapping:

Reactions: 1 person

Wasn't just Fisher. Butch has put a number of kids in the NFL that were lowly rated from Central Mich and Cincy. Fisher just stands out cause he was the #1 overall pick making him the best example.

Btw, for accuracy sake, Eddie Fisher was an actor. The kid's name is Eric Fisher 😊

You're painting stargazers/negavols into a corner with this one:)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Wasn't just Fisher. Butch has put a number of kids in the NFL that were lowly rated from Central Mich and Cincy. Fisher just stands out cause he was the #1 overall pick making him the best example.

Btw, for accuracy sake, Eddie Fisher was an actor. The kid's name is Eric Fisher 😊

Thought he was a singer.

If he's as quick in pads as Trindon , we'll be giggling like school girls on Saturdays.

So who are you rooting for?? Funny, I've always liked Oregon myself, but I hope we kill them. Well I guess I should say, will you be sad if UT loses lol

I don't care if he has -stars, if this staff says he is good, that's good enough for me. I think some kids play at smaller schools and don't get the pub even though they are amazing athletes.

So who are you rooting for?? Funny, I've always liked Oregon myself, but I hope we kill them. Well I guess I should say, will you be sad if UT loses lol

The ducks are a distant second team for me. Always been all Vol. I'd love nothing more than UT pulling a shocker and making a mudslick out of them.

I would rather have a 2 star who wants to work to get better and have a chip on his shoulder.Some of these 5 stars think they can just show up. Look at Jackson and Morley.Teague was a 4 star how good of a DB was he.Pat Martin was a 4 star and still playing JC ball.

The ducks are a distant second team for me. Always been all Vol. I'd love nothing more than UT pulling a shocker and making a mudslick out of them.

Yeah that's me too, I've got an Onterrio Smith jersey from back in the day, funny since he played for both teams. And an old arse Akili Smith Jersey

Yeah that's me too, I've got an Onterrio Smith jersey from back in the day, funny since he played for both teams. And an old arse Akili Smith Jersey

It was especially painful because O. Smith ended up being a really solid back for them. I guess at the time we weren't hurting for RBs by any means though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back