'14 GA QB Deshaun Watson (Clemson Commit)

From Rivals about Rising Seniors Georgia Junior Bowl -

As usual, Watson wasn't rattled by the competition and he looked sharp during every facet of the passing game. The one thing that held him back during the sessions was the failure of his receivers to trust him to deliver the ball. Watson can make a lot of throws that other high school quarterbacks can't, and once his teammates learn to trust his arm, he'll be making connections deep down the field.

Watson was his usual impressive self in practice on Friday, but afterward he sounded like he's ready to reopen his recruitment. Watson, who is committed to Clemson, said Tennessee, Auburn, Ohio State and Oregon are in the mix and he plans on visiting as many schools as possible during the offseason.

Last edited:
From Rivals about Rising Seniors Georgia Junior Bowl -

As usual, Watson wasn't rattled by the competition and he looked sharp during every facet of the passing game. The one thing that held him back during the sessions was the failure of his receivers to trust him to deliver the ball. Watson can make a lot of throws that other high school quarterbacks can't, and once his teammates learn to trust his arm, he'll be making connections deep down the field.

As a sophomore, he had about 70 TDs passing and running. In the State championship game, he was the best QB I saw all year.

Reactions: 1 person
I haven't paid too much attention to 2014 offensive recruits yet but this one seems to be a big name to watch. He seems to be a playmaker and I wouldn't mind seeing him in orange.

""I'm hoping to hear from them, I'm very interested in them. They're actually in my top five so if they offer I'm going to give them a shot and take an official visit up there," Watson said. "I always talk to A.J. up there and he wants me to come up there with him for a year and so that would be awesome to play with him for a year."

Watson camped at Tennessee this past summer and his time Knoxville certainly left a good impression on him.

"I love it up there. It's Tennessee. They have brand new facilities and the way they run the things, it's a very nice area, clean and the atmosphere is great and the fans are always happy and I really like it up there at Tennessee," Watson said.

"It's very similar to what I run in high school. They like to throw the ball and then they like to run the ball and they have option reads for the quarterback to read and run," Watson said. "They do a lot of diferent things and I like that. Getting me to move around in the pocket and not just standing and dropping is nice, too."

"Just the fans, the way they support him. It's in the SEC and that's where you win a championship and even though they had a bad year this year they have good players and a good academic base there and it makes sure you graduate. It's a good place up there," Watson said."

- VQ

Reactions: 3 people
Chad Morris taking a HC job next year will help us here quite a bit. Morris came really close to getting a HC job this time around, doubtful he's Clemson's OC in 2014. IMO.

He'd be a very nice pick up for the '14 class. Talk about setting the tone early, CBJ hopefully feels the same way.

On rivals it shows that he does have an offer from us. Maybe it's from the old staff.

Nevermind he said that he hopes to hear from the staff, I thought he said that he didn't have an offer from us, my mistake. Wouldn't mind having him.

Last edited:
What makes you guys think Barker commits to UT soon? From what I've read it sounds like he's being heavily recruited by many schools.

I doubt he commits soon to anywhere but it would be nice for the 2014 class to have a top QB committed early. Hope you're right.

I'd like Watson too.

What makes you guys think Barker commits to UT soon? From what I've read it sounds like he's being heavily recruited by many schools.

I doubt he commits soon to anywhere but it would be nice for the 2014 class to have a top QB committed early. Hope you're right.

Here's my thinking Ron. I think you'll see CBJ get a lot more early commitments than Dooley. QBs seem to be the first position to really commit early. Because CBJ only takes 1 QB per class, and we are in on some other top QBs, Barker may want to go ahead and pull the trigger given his relationship with CBJ and Bajakian. Plus, the depth chart is actually pretty attractive because there are no proven QBs on our roster. Again, JMO from reading the tea leaves.

"I want to get to Ohio State, Clemson, Auburn, Tennessee and LSU," Watson said.

The 6-foot-4, 195-pounder has a strategy going into most of these visits.

"If I like it I'll put them on top," Watson said. "If not, I'll tell them thanks but no thanks."

Another key dynamic is his connection with other top recruits in Georgia in the 2014 class. Watson bonded with several of them late last month in Atlanta at the RisingSeniors.com Bowl.

Recruits like 4-star wide receiver Demarre Kitt, 4-star defensive back Nick Glass, tight end Milan Richard, 4-star athlete Myles Autry and 5-star linebacker Raekwon McMillan.

Kitt slightly favors Clemson over Ohio State. Glass is a soft commit to Georgia. Richard has Clemson on top over Georgia and South Carolina. Autry favors Ohio State as does McMillan who has the Buckeyes one with Clemson two and Georgia three.

It's still early for everyone involved, but the crew could all wind up at the same place.

"We were all just clicking on the first day at the Junior Day," Watson said. "We talked about all of the schools interested in us and if we all went to the same school how special that would be. We'll see if that happens. We could have 12 people (from Georgia) all end up on the same team."

Where would that place be?

"I'm thinking Clemson or Ohio State for all of us," Watson said. "Oregon is another one. They said they don't recruit much on the East Coast but they said they like all of us. Tennessee is another place that a lot of people like, too. A lot of people like the town, the game day atmosphere and they have a new coach (Butch Jones) that runs a spread offense and throws a lot."

-Rivals

I was reading on the Clemson board that the reason Watson committed so early was Clemson promised him they would not take another QB in the 2013 or 2014 class if he committed to them. Now that he is talking about other teams and visits, Clemson is going to consider other QB for both classes.

VN Store

Back