'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll hesitate to call him annoying (especially considering his unusual recruiting profile) and would never consider pulling his scholarship after looking at his situation. Some people just don't think. Here are some comments he made for a writer on 247 just 3 days ago;

“Florida is a nice place, but I picture myself as a Vol right now,” said Johnson, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 19 inside linebacker in the 2014 class by 247Sports. “I mean, I absolutely love everything about it. As of right now, I’ve got to say I love Tennessee. It’s hard to beat that atmosphere in Neyland Stadium and everything.
“I don’t think much can compare to that.”

said he talked with Vols linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen on Sunday and assured him that he remains firmly committed to Tennessee.
“I told him I was just taking (the trip to Florida) as a visit,” Johnson said. “I don’t think he has to be worried. He was just checking on me and asking me what I’m doing, how my (Thanksgiving) went.”

“I didn’t talk to the coaches (at Florida). One of my coaches got in contact with one of the coaches he knows on the staff and told them that he would bring me down there for a game, and they gave him some tickets — those recruiting game passes — so I got a chance just to pretty much watch the game.
“I think the coaches told him that they’re probably going to take a look at my stuff a little bit, but I didn’t really get a chance to talk to the coaches, so it was nothing serious.”

“If one of those bigger schools would talk to me, I would probably take a look at it just to see something different. But I mean, I really like Tennessee, and I feel like I’m pretty much sold,” said Johnson, who’s planning to enroll at Tennessee in January.
“I’m ready for next year.”

"Pretty much sold" tells you all you need to know. He seems like an honest kid which I like. Florida could make it interesting, but I really do think they are too late in the game to come in and do a full court press - or at least a press capable of handling Butch and co.'s own full court press (visiting parents in Germany for example) - which so far Butch has not been beat! I think it's fair to say this kid is a Vol even if Florida offers. Butch made all the right moves in this one.

Reactions: 4 people
I'll hesitate to call him annoying (especially considering his unusual recruiting profile) and would never consider pulling his scholarship after looking at his situation. Some people just don't think. Here are some comments he made for a writer on 247 just 3 days ago;

"Pretty much sold" tells you all you need to know. He seems like an honest kid which I like. Florida could make it interesting, but I really do think they are too late in the game to come in and do a full court press - or at least a press capable of handling Butch and co.'s own full court press (visiting parents in Germany for example) - which so far Butch has not been beat! I think it's fair to say this kid is a Vol even if Florida offers. Butch made all the right moves in this one.

Great quotes. He is deff a dude I want to see enroll in Jan.

From a gameplan standpoint, what is the plan here? Is he planning on coming back up to Knoxville? Any idea when Butch is set to head to Germany? When is the earliest this kid can sign his LOI?

Earlier in the week John Jancek spent Monday in Jacksonville, Fla., and saw linebacker commitment Jakob Johnson. Johnson was at the Florida-FSU game in Gainesville last weekend while the Gators were blown out Johnson was still impressed with the program.

Now, Florida hasn't offered and it doesn't look like fellow Sunshine State heavyweight FSU has room to offer the German native, but the Florida situation does bear watching. Johnson only has two possible remaining official visit weekends remaining before he returns to Germany and if the Gators were to offer and push for Johnson Tennessee could be in a dog fight.

Right now, it doesn't look as thought the Gators will offer, but as we all know in recruiting things tend to change rather quickly at times. Also remember that Johnson is not a lifelong Florida resident and didn't grow up a fan of any school.

-VQ

Right now, it doesn't look as thought the Gators will offer, but as we all know in recruiting things tend to change rather quickly at times. Also remember that Johnson is not a lifelong Florida resident and didn't grow up a fan of any school.

VQ

IMO florida has zero intentions of ever offering the kid. If they do then it might be the worst recruiting ever by deciding not to even approach the kid on his UOV with any kind of communication. Asleep at the wheel if they have any interest

From a gameplan standpoint, what is the plan here? Is he planning on coming back up to Knoxville? Any idea when Butch is set to head to Germany? When is the earliest this kid can sign his LOI?

first hand information...there will be a visit ....soon :good!:

Reactions: 2 people
VQ

IMO florida has zero intentions of ever offering the kid. If they do then it might be the worst recruiting ever by deciding not to even approach the kid on his UOV with any kind of communication. Asleep at the wheel if they have any interest

Having been to Germany, part of it is similar to parts of east Tennessee, so this may appeal to Jakob. If he likes the ridges and mountains he will want to be here because the highest point in FL is an Interstate overpass. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
having been to germany, part of it is similar to parts of east tennessee, so this may appeal to jakob. If he likes the ridges and mountains he will want to be here because the highest point in fl is an interstate

Britton Hill 345' Northern Florida Highlands Walton County

Last edited:
When can these EE's sign their LOI? We really need to seal the deal with some of these kids. The earlier the coaches can have the EE's sign their LOI the better. Then they can focus solely on the other recruits.

So with high school EE's do we just wait until it is confirmed they are sitting in a classroom?

I believe as soon as they are enrolled, they are locked in, according to Mike Hamilton a few years ago when Orgeron tried telling the EE's not to go to class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back