'13 VA RB Derrick Green (Michigan commit)

Not laughing at anything other than thinking 5 mile runs put you above or even close to the cardio level of boxers and MMA athletes. I just don't see a 35 -40 min run having a negative effect on an athlete, but hey, it's Tennessee, we'll bi&") about anything.

Funny thing about a lot of MMA fighters and boxers is that they don't run like they are supposed to. :) that's why I say what I say. A lot of pro athletes in general don't train to the level they should/could. But that's another convo. Go Vols!!!!

Actually, he's correct. I was a long distance runner through HS and my 1st two years of college, running, ona average 10-13 miles per day. My last 2 years I wanted to focus on the 800 and 1500 (as opposed to 5000 and 5 mile in Cross Country) so I took my distances down considerably, focused on sprint work, and focused on heavier weight lifting.

Fast twitch can be developed, however world class speed is God given.

Notice key words "endurance" and "conditioning". Nothing about speed

If Michigan runs the same offense that we saw them run against South Carolina in the Outback Bowl, Derrick will not be as effective and as productive as he would be in the Tennessee offense. Derrick runs best between the tackles. If Michigan runs the same offense that they did this year, he will be trying to run east and west an awful lot-not exactly his strength.

Actually, he's correct. I was a long distance runner through HS and my 1st two years of college, running, ona average 10-13 miles per day. My last 2 years I wanted to focus on the 800 and 1500 (as opposed to 5000 and 5 mile in Cross Country) so I took my distances down considerably, focused on sprint work, and focused on heavier weight lifting.

Fast twitch can be developed, however world class speed is God given.

:salute:

Sprint work style conditioning is much more important to "football" conditioning than distance style running. The game is played in sprints not a constant jog similar to soccer. Big difference in conditioning styles.

Reactions: 1 person
Schular should have been the first, but no he got beat by the guy that backed him up in the NFL, Danny W. Peyton should have been the 2nd, but they felt sorry because defensive players never get the award, so they gave it to Charles W (which has actually had a nice career). I really think everybody that votes hates TN.

Especially since we are tied for first for the most ex-UT stars in the Pro-Bowl, with 6, and one of them is a running back. As a matter of fact, P. Manning is one (tell Lawson, he loves him), J. Mayo is another (tell Bellamy and Foster).

Also tell Lawson that UT produced to BEST DE ever in the NFL, in MR. REGGIE WHITE.

Actually Johnny Majors should have been the first Vol to win a heistman trophy. But they decided to give it to Horning from ND making him the first on a losing team to win one. Kinda like Woodson winning it over Peyton as the first defensive player to win it. I liked Shuler, but Charlie Ward was pretty damn awesome and IMO deserved it as did Wuerfel (sp.). IMO if Shuler would have came back he would have won it. Not only that, but could very well have won a NC.

Don't forget Hank Lauricella either. He came in 2nd in the heistman as well, finishing behind Dick Kazmaier of Princeton. Who in all fairness was a damn good player too. But a strong arguement could easily be made for Lauricella. Dude lead the Vols to back to back NCs.

All in all UT has been blatantly robbed twice with Manning and Majors. A strong arguement can be made for Lauricella. JMO, but I think they got it right giving it to Ward over Shuler. But that's just my take.

:salute:

Sprint work style conditioning is much more important to "football" conditioning than distance style running. The game is played in sprints not a constant jog similar to soccer. Big difference in conditioning styles.

Gotcha, but excessive distance can reduce speed, and in particular, quickness.

:yes: :salute:

Actually Johnny Majors should have been the first Vol to win a heistman trophy. But they decided to give it to Horning from ND making him the first on a losing team to win one. Kinda like Woodson winning it over Peyton as the first defensive player to win it. I liked Shuler, but Charlie Ward was pretty damn awesome and IMO deserved it as did Wuerfel (sp.). IMO if Shuler would have came back he would have won it. Not only that, but could very well have won a NC.

Don't forget Hank Lauricella either. He came in 2nd in the heistman as well, finishing behind Dick Kazmaier of Princeton. Who in all fairness was a damn good player too. But a strong arguement could easily be made for Lauricella. Dude lead the Vols to back to back NCs.

All in all UT has been blatantly robbed twice with Manning and Majors. A strong arguement can be made for Lauricella. JMO, but I think they got it right giving it to Ward over Shuler. But that's just my take.

Good History lesson. I've always found it strange that both 'exception' winners of the Heisman were versus UT players. I dont think it was a conspiracy, but the way Manning didnt get the Heisman was shameful.. Havent cared for the Heisman since.

Reactions: 3 people
Good History lesson. I've always found it strange that both 'exception' winners of the Heisman were versus UT players. I dont think it was a conspiracy, but the way Manning didnt get the Heisman was shameful.. Havent cared for the Heisman since.

I don't think it was necessarily a conspiracy AGAINST Tennessee, but I do think it was a conspiracy FOR the northern team/player. Kinda like the whispers surrounding some northern voters not having Manning in their top three resulting in less points for him. IIRC didn't Manning lose the lead for the heistman just after throwing for 500+yds against UK? And I don't hold it against Woodson either. Dude is a beast and probably a Hall of Famer. It's just that the system as a whole has been flawed for ever.

I don't think it was necessarily a conspiracy AGAINST Tennessee, but I do think it was a conspiracy FOR the northern team/player. Kinda like the whispers surrounding some northern voters not having Manning in their top three resulting in less points for him. IIRC didn't Manning lose the lead for the heistman just after throwing for 500+yds against UK? And I don't hold it against Woodson either. Dude is a beast and probably a Hall of Famer. It's just that the system as a whole has been flawed for ever.

I haven't paid attention or even watched the ceremony since Peyton was robbed.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back